Accidental Hero - Cover

Accidental Hero

Copyright© 2020 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 6

Following the Mayor’s suggestion, Mike and Erica decided to spend the night in Kevin’s house. According to the law as pronounced by the Mayor, it was their property. There wasn’t much in the house; just a bed, a table, two chairs, a chest, and some cooking equipment. The shed outside had the tools for running a small farm. The real value of the farm was in the livestock.

After looking around the little shack, Erica opened the chest and looked at the contents. There was some cloth, a bundle of leather, and a change of clothes. There was a little box buried down at the bottom. She pulled the box out and opened it. Surprised, she said, “Look at all of the money and jewels in this box.”

Mike came over to her and looked in the box. There were a lot of shells and quads inside the box as well as a few conch. Shaking his head, he said, “It looks like Kevin wasn’t just a farmer.”

“There’s a lot of money in here,” Erica said.

“I’ve got a feeling that Kevin is going to be trouble,” Mike said looking around the little house. He knew that although Kevin had the slave mark on his forehead that he would try to escape. Kevin was the kind of man who would rather live as a bandit in the middle of nowhere than to submit to a life as an indentured servant. His escape would probably be an act of desperation. More than likely, someone would get seriously hurt while Kevin made his bid for freedom. He said, “I’ll warn Donaldson in the morning. These folks have had enough problems. They don’t need more.”

“Yeah,” Erica said somewhat quietly. She looked over at Mike and said, “I haven’t really thanked you for rescuing me.”

“Sure you have,” Mike said with a dismissive wave of a hand.

Erica carried the box over to the small table and sat down on one of the two chairs in the room. She looked over at Mike and said, “I guess I didn’t expect the rescue to happen this way.”

“Why?” Mike asked. Not having any experience as a Hero, he didn’t have a clue what the Damsels expected in the rescue.

“Well, I guess I expected us to flee into the woods chased by the three men who held me. At some point in time, you would have had to fight them to make good our escape,” Erica answered. Although she much preferred the more tranquil outcome, she felt that she had been cheated a little by the lack of excitement. It wouldn’t make a good story back on Cassandra.

Mike opened his backpack and started removing the food from it. He smiled and asked, “What would you think if I had raised a band of dedicated followers and used them to deal with the bad guys?”

“That would have been impressive,” Erica said nodding her head. She could imagine telling other women about how he had led an army to rescue her.

“Well, that’s exactly what I did,” Mike said absently looking over at the fireplace. He was going to have to start a fire before cooking the meal for the night.

“What?” Erica asked rather surprised by Mike’s comment.

Recognizing the source of her surprise, Mike said, “I recruited a very large army that consisted of the whole village. I used the fact that you had been turned into a slave to convince them to help me in taking care of the bad men. What you saw taking place inside that inn was combat. It may not have been obvious that a fight was taking place, but don’t think otherwise for a single minute. Lives were at stake. If the town had chosen to believe them, we’d have been in very serious trouble.”

“Oh,” Erica said. She hadn’t thought that the entire population of the town was an army that Mike had used in taking down her three villains. She realized that he was right and said, “I’m impressed.”

“Thank you,” Mike said going over to the fireplace. He knelt down and went about the business of starting a fire.

Erica watched Mike at work while thinking about what he had said. In less than one full day, he had mobilized an entire town and taken down the bad guys. In hindsight, it was a significant accomplishment. A stranger comes into town and convinces a tight-knit community that one of their own is performing acts of horror. He had made it look effortless.

She smiled and said, “My Hero.”

Mike blew on the fragile flame providing the needed oxygen to feed it. The flame caught and the small pile of twigs started burning. Mike piled on more twigs and slightly larger material to burn.

As he tended the fire, he asked, “How is your jaw?”

“It hurts a lot. I’m pretty sure that he fractured it,” Erica answered putting a hand to the side of her face. It was swollen and throbbed in time with her heartbeat. It felt like a few of her teeth were loose as well.

Mike said, “I’ll see what I can do about finding something to take care of the pain.”

“Thank you,” Erica said.

Looking over his stock of food, Mike said, “I’ll make soup tonight. Eating it shouldn’t stress your jaw too much.”

“I appreciate it,” Erica said thinking that he had an easy manner about him. He didn’t overwhelm with attention. It was soft and quiet, but always present. She looked at him with fresh eyes taking in his solid build and easy strength. Her eyes drifted to his crotch deciding that he had quite a nice package hidden within his pants. She smiled while thinking about the pleasure she would get in his arms.

“What are you thinking about?” Mike asked seeing the smile spread across her face.

“I’m just thinking about what pleasure I’m going to feel,” Erica answered with a smile.

“I don’t promise that the soup will be that good,” Mike said not understanding what she was talking about.

“That’s not what I was thinking about,” she said with a laugh.

“Oh, what were you thinking about?” Mike asked puzzled.

“I was thinking about when you get me to Crossroads, and I finally get to reward you. It looks to me like you’ve got a nice package there in your pants,” Erica said. She licked her lips.

“Oh,” Mike said turning red. Cat had warned him that Erica would flirt with him all of the way back to the bank. He had thought she was teasing him.

Erica ran her hands over her breasts and said, “I can’t wait to feel your hands on me.”

Feeling a sudden tightness in his pants, Mike piled some more wood on the fire and stood up. Trying to think of something to change the subject, he said, “I’m going outside to see if there’s something that I can use to make a staff.”

“You don’t need to make a staff for me. I can see that you have one developing quite nicely in your pants,” Erica said leaning forward to check out his crotch.

“I’ll be right back,” Mike said rushing out of the shack feeling like he had just developed a fever.


Mike and Erica waited in the inn while the three houses were going up for auction. Donaldson had warned them that it was highly unlikely that the houses themselves would sell, but the farm tools and livestock would fetch some good money. Mike was thinking about how much money he had collected on this adventure. It was far more than he had expected. He had almost ten conch. That would allow him to buy weapons and a horse.

Putting aside the pole that he was trying to turn into a staff, Mike looked over at Erica. She was sucking on a small wooden stick that reminded him of the stick in a Popsicle. One of the women in the village had said that it would help her pain. He asked, “Is that helping?”

“A little,” Erica answered, “My tongue is definitely numb.”

“Well, she said that it was best for toothaches,” Mike said. The old woman had told him that she soaked the wood in medicinal teas. He didn’t know if it would really help, but it was hard to say that it would hurt.

“I’m not complaining,” Erica said. It seemed to her that he was more bothered by her injury than she was.

Mike shook his head and said, “I should have thought about buying medical supplies back when I was in town. I had the money for it.”

“I’m not sure how medicines act on our bodies here,” Erica said taking the stick out of her mouth. Her tongue was really feeling numb. She decided that some of the pain in her jaw had lessened. Setting the stick aside, she said, “This does seem to be working.”

“I’m glad,” Mike said with a sigh. Every reminder of her pain was like a twist of a knife in his gut. It didn’t assuage his guilt that he had promised Cat that he would wait until the men had left the cave. It didn’t matter that he had known at the time that there was almost no chance of defeating the two men.

“You’re quiet today,” Erica said looking over at him.

“Just thinking,” Mike said. He realized that if he had a bow and some arrows that he could have taken care of the two men before they reached the cave. He shook his head in disgust. There were probably a dozen things he could have done to save her before the two men had entered the cave. The problem was that he still hadn’t come up with one thing that he could have done better.

Not understanding, Erica shrugged her shoulders. She said, “How much longer will we have to stay here?”

“I don’t know. If they aren’t done by noon, then we’ll have to leave tomorrow morning,” Mike answered.

“I want to go home,” Erica said looking over at him with a sad expression on her face. She wanted to get away from the dangers of Chaos. She wanted to get him back to Crossroads where she could reward him. It wasn’t just the pain of her injury driving her. It had been torture the previous night sleeping in the shack knowing that he was just five feet away and that she couldn’t enjoy the pleasures that Heroes were said to give Damsels.

Mike looked at her and thought about what she was saying. There was the healer on Crossroads that would fix her jaw. He could imagine that she really wanted to get away from the pain. He said, “Half of the money we’re receiving is yours.”

“I know,” Erica said, “I don’t have any use for the money beyond what I already have. In fact, I can’t even use the money that I do have. Can’t I just leave it here to thank everyone for their help?”

“You could,” Mike said shrugging his shoulders. He didn’t quite know how that would affect the division of money. He wasn’t quite sure what the rules dictated should be done when the Damsel had acquired a significant amount of money during her time on Chaos.

“Let’s do that, then,” Erica said.

“Alright,” Mike said rising from his chair. He went over to the barman and said, “When Donaldson and the Mayor come back with the money tell them that we want them to use it for a party. Tell them to butcher an animal and cook it on a spit, drink some watered wine, and sing songs until everyone has a smile on their face.”

“Are you sure?” the barman asked looking at Mike like he was crazy. He added, “You’ll probably get close to half a conch.”

Mike glanced over at Erica and saw her nod her head. He answered, “We’re sure.”

“All right, I’ll let them know that,” the barman said.

Mike went over to the table and picked up his pack. Sliding it on his back, he said, “Let’s go.”

“Great,” Erica said rising from her chair.

Mike grabbed his staff and escorted Erica to the door. Outside, Mike looked each way and decided to leave from the town from where he had arrived on Chaos. It was the closest town with a bank. Now that he didn’t need to run from the bad guys, he could go that way. He pointed down the road and said, “We’ll go that way. It will take us a day and a half to get where we are going.”

“Great,” Erica said.


The trip had taken them two full days since Mike gave Erica plenty of opportunities to rest along the way. She didn’t complain, but he could tell that she was feeling weak. He assumed that her weakness was a consequence of her time as a captive. Feeling weak and tired didn’t keep her from sexually teasing him almost the entire trip.

Mike could smell the tannery long before they entered town. Seeing the look of disgust on her face, he said, “The wind is in the wrong direction today.”

“Tannery?” Erica asked trying to identify the smell.

“Yes,” Mike answered.

“I heard they stank, but I’ve never smelled one,” Erica said wrinkling her nose. The odor was pretty intense.

“Well, it is still a couple miles away,” Mike said.

Erica smiled at him and said, “I bet with a little effort in bed from you that you could make me forget about that smell.”

“Are you suggesting that I’ll stink in bed?” Mike asked with a grin.

“No,” Erica replied thinking that she had insulted him and then realizing that he was joking. She laughed and tapped the staff that he had made. She said, “I know better than that. I’ve seen you practicing with that nice long hard staff of yours.”

Mike knew better than to continue that conversation. It wouldn’t be long before he would lose his ability to walk naturally. He said, “We’re almost there. I’m pretty sure the bank will still be open.”

“I can’t wait to get back to Crossroads with you,” Erica said. The past few nights had been torture for her. Her Hero had stayed so close to her that she could reach out and touch him anytime she wanted, but all she could do was look. His attention to her needs was a constant reminder of his presence.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close