Final Cut - Cover

Final Cut

Copyright© 2021 by C.Brink

Chapter 9: Let Slip the Cogs of War

I jumped a bit when I heard, —Signal detected from the aquatic drone. It is landing its pod of assault units on the causeway in two minutes. I am also within range of the local data net and am monitoring its traffic. Continuing to hold. Stand by.—”

Jesus! I was getting tense! Luckily, I did not feel the urge to piss. The clock reached 22:50 and kept on ticking. I dared not speak. 22:51 came. Jesus Christ! I was about to break down and ask what the hell was happening when suddenly Habu’s engines screamed to full power and we surged upwards. I was crushed into the seat by over three Gs as my visor lit up with new incoming data.

I began to hear rapid-fire messages in my head. I struggled to keep up.

Emergency reboot and diagnostic commands monitored on the local data net.— That would be the viral commands sent by the Naomi presence back on Nautilus via the microwave link into the enemy data net. It commanded all enemy mobile units and facility equipment to immediately reboot itself and enter a diagnostics mode. This would lock them up for two to four minutes.

Unfortunately, the command would only work on units or equipment with a medium-to-low priority access level. It would get most of the enemy units but there would still be enough left active to cause us trouble.

We cleared the rocky cliff edge and were now flying rapidly towards the lights of the complex two kilometers ahead. I noticed many lights extinguishing while a few new ones turned on.

Numerous small explosions detected.— I could see some of these myself as tiny flashes of heat in the thermal range of my visor’s vision. They were caused by the suicide bats exploding their shaped charges. They were targeted on the data links and relay antennas of any still active equipment that could send transmissions to the satellites overhead.

Blue force transmissions detected. Secure local network established.— We were now in contact with many of the quadruped assault mobile units heading in from the causeway. Also, some of our own bats were also now tracked via their short-range data links. Naomi had used the larger unit’s repeater functions and the Cerro Crocker located transmitter to establish our own network linking all our forces.

The large, curved roof structures of the facility were now only a kilometer ahead. Habu was flying tilted fully forward through the air at maximum power. The aircraft quickly rotated backwards and began to decelerate. I was again crushed into the seat.

Tactical update, remaining active enemy forces accounted for.— My HUD showed an overlay which alternated between an overhead map and an actual view. In both views, red dots appeared. These indicated active enemy units we needed to deal with. I had been reminded many times. If they show red, they are dangerous.

Additional small explosions detected. Blue force attrition rate increasing.— The map showed blue dots going dark gray all clustered around the enemy’s central data facility. These were more kamikaze bats using their shaped charges to sever the data links leading to and from the enemy A.I.

Blue force update, remaining forces projected.— A bunch of new blue dots appeared. These were the remainder of our bat forces. Now that the attack had begun, they were actively broadcasting their locations and status to our new local wireless network. I saw a bunch directly ahead at the main enemy A.I. processor facility. These must be the bats focused on the enemy controller A.I. presence housed there.

Seeing our bats around the enemy’s data center reminded me of the fusion scuttling charge. We were still here so I guess it had not gone off. I was sure glad that I had not spoken that bit of logic out loud. Ohmu would never let me live such a stupid comment down.

My thought was timely as just then I heard, —primary base destruction device successfully isolated. Quadruped assault forces heading to further secure that location.— Well, that confirmed that. Now my likely death would be slow and painful instead of instant. The news meant that both the hard-line and wireless data links to the scuttling charge had been broken by our bat forces. Now, we had to get armed boots on the ground to keep it secure.

I glanced at the clock. I had to look closely because only eighteen seconds had elapsed. Just then, a brighter flash occurred off to the northeast. The causeway was off that way. I wondered what the hell that had been. The G load lightened, and we pitched forward to a level attitude. I heard a rattling from below. Our quadruped assault troops must be dropping off out of their pod. Sure enough, new blue icons appeared on the map display. Out the cockpit window, I saw many of the remaining facility lights extinguish.

One ... correction, both of the primary fusion power generators have now been isolated from the enemy command data net and their processors are now in override mode.—

Another score for our bat force. They had managed to get the Hemru algorithms implanted into both of the local power plant semi-intelligent processors. Now, not only would they not explode, but we were in control of the facility’s power supply and had cut power. The primary A.I. and other active enemy units still had backups though.

There was a jolt as the empty carrier pod was released. Habu was now free to land. Before we did just that, Habu hit full power again and we surged up and over the building just ahead. We needed to drop off Ohmu at her target. This was the base’s primary satellite uplink. The bat forces had hopefully severed the data links to its processor and forced it into the override mode. But Ohmu still needed to secure the facility quickly. If it were to remain offline for more than a minute, or worse, be damaged or destroyed, the master A.I. would be on to us instantly.

Enemy controlling presence data enclosure breeched. Primary forces now entering main processor area.

Our larger bat bombs had just blown a hole into the enemy’s data center. The data module equipped bats were now pouring in heading to the main processor.

I glanced at the map display and sure enough. Many more of the little blue dots were now gone. A remaining cluster was just ahead in the enemy’s data center. I noticed them winking out fast though. What the hell?

—Active defensive systems encountered. Attrition rates are high. Sending in secondary units.—

Something inside must be fighting back. The secondary units were the bats with the longer-range shaped charges.

While this was happening, we had reached the main complex dish antenna. Ohmu dropped out of the bomb bay from four meters above. I was again crushed to my seat as Habu turned and dove towards the main processor building.

Defensive systems suppressed, remaining primary forces entering main processor.

Our data bats were again leading the attack. I was shocked that only about a dozen remained.

Outgoing satellite uplink transmission detected.— SHIT! Shit, shit. Had Ohmu been too late?

Uplink transmission successful. Interception indicates that a notice of temporary transmitter diagnostics mode was sent. This mode will last approximately fifty-three seconds.

Oh, thank God! It was just Ohmu buying us time.

She had apparently linked with the transmitter’s semi-intelligent A.I. and put it into a diagnostics mode. The transmission was to inform any satellites listening that the base would be off the net for almost a minute. They would have been noticing the recent dropouts and beginning to investigate. Hopefully, this would prevent that.

I felt heavy g-forces again as Habu approached to land near the enemy data center. Just then, another bright explosion appeared off towards the causeway. Simultaneously, three blue indicators and one red one dropped off the map. What now!

Three blue force assault units destroyed. Enemy launch complex sub-processor evaded subversion attempts and self-destructed.

Well, there goes the perfect mission. I hoped we could get that processor replaced before it was needed and noticed inactive.

With a thud, we landed hard. The cockpit hatch was already opening before we hit. When we stopped moving I bailed out and stumbled away, barely keeping from falling on my ass while avoiding the front portside lift fan. I looked around quickly and then prepared to retrieve Naomi’s partial presence in its hardware suitcase from Habu’s storage bay.

JOHN! Take cover! Overhead.

I started to dive under Habu but was too late as something was already diving towards me. BOOM! I was stunned for a second as I hit the ground. I rolled and just caught a second blur closing from above. BOOM! Shrapnel was flying everywhere from the remains of Habu’s aft portside lift fan. I finished my roll and looked at the damage. It appeared that just the engine had been destroyed. My view screen flared with new warning messages. My vision was glitching or something. Everything grew detached and time seemed to crawl. Either I was more stunned than I thought, or my hood’s visor was damaged.

Through the roaring in my head I heard, —John! You are hurt! Beginning emergency medical measures.

My suit’s synthetic musculature rippled. My left arm felt strange. I felt the sting of multiple injections near my neck. “What happened?” I managed to gasp out.

—Aerial drones under control of the former launch complex sub-processor remained active and under the enemy’s directives. Two of those units just detonated their self-destruct charges. The first damaged you. The second damaged Habu. Blue force quadrupeds approaching. Blue force aerial overwatch units approaching. Medical treatment continuing. Stand by.—

I tried to roll over, but my left arm was not cooperating. I managed to roll the other way using my right. My vision stabilized enough that I saw two of the quadruped mobile units approaching. A pair of our aerial drones were overhead also. One of the ground units had a glowing “H” on its torso. Hans! Its partner must have been Franz. A few seconds too late boys! They took up station forming a perimeter. Their upper arms pointing skyward, weapons watching for more enemy drones.

Blue force losses continue near the causeway. Three enemy units destroyed. Threat there now contained. Propulsion fusion bomblets secured. Chemical fueled booster plates secured.—

The battle continued. The map showed far fewer blue dots, but thankfully very few red also. I got to my knees. My left arm was still not working. I looked at it but in my visor, the image of my arm was overlain with a solid red icon and I could not see details of the damage. The suit’s medical scanner must have cataloged it as ‘out of action’. I got back to my feet and turned towards Habu to get the processor suitcase.

Rip-p-p-p-p! I turned to see Hans and Franz firing at something airborne off to the west. I swiveled and caught sight of an enemy aerial drone just as it exploded in the air. It had made it to within twenty meters. My aerial overwatch units flew off in that direction. I scanned quickly but no more red dots were in the air. A second pair of our quadrupeds ran by Habu heading towards the enemy data building.

Enemy controlling intelligence now in override mode. Auxiliary satellite terminal isolated. Chemical storage processor isolated and placed in override mode.

Hot Damn! We had done it! Our bats had made it into the enemy CPU and implanted the override command! We were also securing more of the complex. I needed to get the mini-Naomi into the enemy building. I reached for the suitcase and grabbed it with my working hand. I felt a wave of dizziness and had to pause for a moment.

Blue force intelligence now elevated to control level. Enemy local data net now under full Naomi control.

Naomi now had administrator privileges across the local data net. She was now issuing higher level coded commands to stop all remaining enemy units and sub-processors.

I recovered and ran towards the enemy building, lugging along the processor case. I noticed that on the map overlay almost all of the red dots remaining had turned green. Only two were still red and they were being surrounded by blue dots.

I arrived at the hatch into the enemy’s... ‘our’ data bunker now, I realized. The door had a large hole blown in it. The ground in front of the door was covered with blood and gore; the remains of the bats used to blow it open. I heaved on the door’s remains and managed to get it opened enough to let me slip through. Trying to avoid the slippery gore as much as possible, I entered the structure.

Behind me, the quadrupeds struggled to get through the opening. I set the processor case down and pulled hard on the door with my right hand. The suit’s muscles strained and slowly the door opened further, enlarging the hole enough for them to enter. Hans and Franz streamed through and took point. Two more quadruped units followed and remained guarding my rear as I took off running after ‘H’ and ‘F’.

The inside of the building was full of equipment and data storage modules. There were signs of damage everywhere including more bat gore and carcasses. I spotted wrecked wall-mounted sensors, damaged weapons ports, and severed data conduits. Smoke and haze hung in the air. My map overlay was flashing where I needed to go. My senses were numb, but I was fizzing with energy. That must be from the injections I had received back by Habu.

Final enemy units suppressed. Remaining blue forces proceeding to sentry and repair roles.—

Just ahead was a metal bulkhead. There was a hole in the metal with darkened and torn edges. The area around the bulkhead looked like a slaughterhouse. Many of the piles of meat still steamed. Hans reached the hole and stuck his sensor head inside. Franz covered his rear.

After a few seconds, Hans pulled his head back, activated a plasma cutter, and began to cut a vertical line beside the hole from much lower and moving upwards. Franz activated a second plasma cutter and began cutting a horizontal line above the hole. I reached them and waited, taking a moment to scan the map for updates.

Deploying blue force aerial repair units. Beginning data hard-wired repair activities.— The two pods were now releasing a small force of our own aerial repair drones. They would fly to each of the damaged data links and leave a small, automated splicing device. These were similar to the taps I had installed on Cerro Crocker. They would hopefully begin patching back together the data links we had cut. We needed everything working again as soon as possible.

I looked at the clock. 22:54. Only three minutes had passed! It felt like an hour. The two units had finished their meter-long cuts and were now working on the opposing cuts. Three minutes. The satellite antenna must have finished its diagnostics and been brought back online by now. Naomi and Ohmu must be filtering and continuing the transmissions to and from the satellites. I felt another large sting by my neck. A new notice was lit on the HUD’s medical treatment menu. I was now receiving a blood replacer. Was I bleeding?

I looked at my left arm. Again the suit visor blocked my view with a solid overlay. No time to dig into the medical menu. It was too dark in the chamber that I dared not remove my hood to inspect my arm with my own eyes. I did see red damage indicators on my left thigh. I hadn’t felt anything or noticed it before.

I saw flying objects enter the chamber through the open outer door. These were our aerial drones delivering the cable splicing repair devices. The breaches needed to be repaired fast, especially those here in this chamber! The two rear-guard quadrupeds began to clear debris from areas needing repair.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close