General Sid
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

The ugly man stepped out from the dark surroundings of the woods to stand beside Sid. In a soft voice, the man said, “You wanted to see me.”

“That’s right, Badger,” Sid replied. He knew that Badger was not a man to make small talk, so it was necessary for him to continue the conversation. He asked, “What are your plans now that the war is over?”

Badger shrugged his shoulders and said, “I’ll probably become a hunter. Why?”

“I had a slightly different idea in mind for you,” Sid answered.

“What?”

“I need a scout,” Sid answered. He looked over at Badger and said, “I need a special kind of scout. I need someone who will travel around my kingdom watching for any problems that might develop.”

While thinking over what Sid had suggested, Badger ran his hand over his face. His fingers traced out the scars that contributed to his ugly appearance. He grunted and said, “You mean you need a spy.”

“If you prefer that term, yes. There is an element of watching and reporting to the job. What I really need is someone who I trust to set up an unofficial conduit of information between the Lords and myself,” Sid answered.

“What does that mean?” Badger asked out of confusion.

“Look, we just conquered a territory filled with individuals who I wouldn’t trust with a rock, must less the future of my kingdom. I’ve put men in positions of power that I do trust, but they are surrounded by sharks. When one of them gets into trouble, they have to have someone to talk with that can get the message back to me. It has to be someone that I can trust and that the lord can trust. Most importantly, they have to be men that you trust. They need to occupy positions away from the lord, where they won’t be watched,” Sid said.

“I see what you mean except for the part about them having positions where they won’t be watched,” Badger said.

“Suppose there is a farmer of a medium sized farm next to a city. He’s trustworthy, but because he’s a farmer nobody really watches what he does. The lord knows that if he needs to talk to the man all he has to do is go riding for a day and stop by the farm for a little water or to find out how the crops are growing. While he is there, he can slip a message to the man without anyone being the wiser,” Sid explained.

“Smart. I can see how that would work,” Badger said thinking about it. The job that Sid was giving him was big. It was also important; far more important than he felt he deserved. He asked, “Why me?”

“I trust you,” Sid said looking the man in the eye.

Badger turned away to hide the tears that welled up in his eyes. Most people never saw beyond the ugliness of his face. The idea that a King saw more than that, and trusted him with the welfare of his kingdom, was more than he knew how to accept. He rubbed his eyes to wipe away the trace of wetness that had appeared.

He sniffed and said, “I’ll serve you until the day I die.”

Sid handed him a small bag and said, “There are five hundred conchs in there. Deposit them in a bank, and draw money as you need it. When you need more, let Barson know. He’ll get you as much as you need.”

“Five hundred conchs?” Badger said shocked at the amount of money that he held in his hand. When Sid had said that he trusted him, the man hadn’t been lying. That was enough money to disappear forever in Chaos.

“You’ll need every bit of it and more,” Sid answered.

“Yes, Sir,” Badger said.

“Good. Now I want you to find honest trustworthy men. Don’t get their loyalty through money, because men like that can be bought to serve the other side. I want them loyal to me first, you second, and the lord third,” Sid said.

“You want them loyal to me above the lord?”

“Your life depends on their loyalty. Make sure that your trust is well placed,” Sid answered.

“Yes, sir,” Badger said standing up straighter.

“This is a big kingdom. You’ll need to hire many men to help you cover that much territory,” Sid said.

“I know a few men who might be good at this sort of thing,” Badger said. Being ugly did have some benefits. The character of the men he encountered was demonstrated by the way they treated him. He would always be viewed with suspicion, but the men who laughed or made fun of his appearance had major character flaws. He preferred the company of those who treated him with just the right touch of suspicion, while remaining respectful long enough to know him.

“Good enough. I’ll let you get to work,” Sid said with a short nod of his head.

“Thank you,” Badger said swearing to himself that he’d give his life for Sid if it was necessary to protect the man.

“You’re welcome.”

The hour between dinner and sunset was usually a quiet time in camp. The bright light of midday had faded to a softer illumination. The sky turned red as the sun made its way below the horizon. The birds usually gave forth their last announcements of their territories before making their way to their nests.

When marching, it was the time of day that every man and woman in the army anticipated. Folks took advantage of the fading light to get their campsite ready for the night. People sat in front of their tents, patiently mending whatever equipment might have been damaged during the day. It was also the time of day when people could visit with others and talk of things important to them.

Bored, Alice sat around the campfire watching the men and women still with Sid’s army interact with each other. The women flirted and the men responded with grand gestures intended to impress. It was the dance of life in action, a dance in which she wasn’t participating. She knew that Sid was interested in her, but it seemed that he was nowhere near as driven to mate as she was. Just the thought of him between her legs was enough to get her juices running.

With the quiet time in the camp, she had time to consider why her feelings for Sid were so strong. It was more than the fact that he was good looking. He was a Hero from Earth who had become a King in Chaos! Talking aloud to no one, she said, “Is there any wonder why I’m crazy about him?”

She thought about her life in Chaos before Sid had come to her rescue. Life as a slave in a whorehouse had not been pleasant. Men would come into her room and basically have their way with her. It seemed that every so often one of them would choose not to wear a sheath and her private parts would burn for three days.

She had been miserable there. The men who came to her bed were typically wealthy men; older, fatter, and less attractive men than any whom she would have chosen on her own. As disgusting as they were, physically, it was their attitude towards her that was truly ugly. They treated her like meat with absolutely no regard for her pleasure.

Day after day, and night after night, Alice had lain in bed dreaming of her rescue. Whenever one of those fat bastards had mounted her, she dreamed of what it would be like when her Hero took her. In her mind, the fat greasy hand that mauled her bruised tits was contrasted with how the Hero would lovingly caress her breasts. Her fixation on how great it would be was all that kept her alive.

She realized that her feelings were based on that fixation, rather than on a real respect for Sid. Thinking about it, Alice realized that Fred’s comments about her behavior had been accurate. She hadn’t been dancing the dance of life, but had been stomping around on the dance floor like some sort of enraged gorilla.

It was not an easy realization to accept about herself. Feeling a thousand years old, she stared at the fire and said, “I’m a Damsel from Cassandra. I came here to be rescued, and to bear a child. I’m not acting like a lady. I’m not acting like a mother-to-be. Fred was right. I’m a disgrace to all of the Damsels.”

Thinking about Fred made her wonder where Sid had gone. She looked around the camp to see if she could spot him. When she glanced in the direction of the kitchen, she noticed one of the women there watching someone with a sad expression of longing on her face. Following her look, Alice spotted Fred standing by, as Sid talked to a group of men gathered in front of the tent. She looked back at the women, and found that she was still watching Fred.

She stared at the woman for a full minute before making up her mind. Rising from her seat, she walked over to where the woman was standing. It took the woman almost a minute to realize that Alice was standing beside her. Embarrassed at having been caught, the woman turned to Alice and said, “I’m sorry. I was just wool gathering there for a minute.”

“No problem,” Alice replied with a smile. She looked over in the direction of Fred and said, “He doesn’t know that you care for him, does he?”

“No, he doesn’t,” the woman answered believing her love was a hopeless cause. No matter what she did to attract his attention, Fred never noticed. She would set aside something special for Fred, only to see him deliver it to Sid.

Alice examined the woman with a little more attention to details. She wasn’t exactly a beautiful woman. Too many years in the sun had given her skin a dark tan with a leathery texture. The damage of a hard life outdoors was most obvious on her face. There were the diamond-shaped wrinkles around the eyes that spoke of too much sun. Despite that, she had a friendly looking face with laugh lines. Her dark hair was streaked with a few strands of gray hair that made her look older than her age. She wasn’t a great beauty, but she remained a pretty woman with a shapely body.

“I think that all men are born blind,” Alice said with a sigh.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close