Jade Force #11 Nobody Likes Palarma
Chapter 4: A Contract With Amra

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

August 21, 1996

“We are still waiting for the Prime Minister of Amra and Pen Sada of the Jade Force of Misera to arrive for the signing of what will be a most historic contract. This contract will outsource the situation in Palarma over to Jade Force of Misera. What’s so amazing about this is that this is the first time that Amra will hire mercenaries to take over full control of a war effort. In just a couple of days time, Amra will be withdrawing all its troops from Palarma.

“For our viewers who may not be aware of who Pen Sada is; she’s the individual from Jade Force who announced the declaration of war on Sumar and Desera, several years ago, in the studio of this station. Their entry into the Sumar/Desera war ended hostilities in one day. The relations between the two countries have never been better.”

The reporter with the microphone paused and listened in his ear piece. A look of surprise flashed across his face and then he straightened up and looked at the camera.

He said, “The Prime Minister and Pen Sada were supposed to have arrived ten minutes ago. The delay, as I have just been informed, is a result of a small misunderstanding between Pen Sada and the security forces guarding the Prime Minister. The details of the misunderstanding are unclear, but we do know that one of the Prime Minister’s body guards has been taken to the hospital. He’s said to be in stable condition.

“The Prime Minister and Pen Sada are now on their way to the steps of ... There they are, now.”

The Prime Minister, with a forced smile, stepped through the doors looking like a major international power broker. He was wearing a well tailored suit and strode to the podium with measured steps. He was impressive in his bearing.

Pen Sada wearing her armor and helmet, along with her rifle, pistol, and knife, didn’t look so impressive in her bearing. She was grinning and waving at the press, clearly enjoying herself. She was loosely surrounded by members of the Prime Minister’s security team, some of whom were limping while others were sporting very visible bruises. They did not look very happy to be there.

Two Shields, standing off to the side were shaking their heads watching Pen Sada greet the press. This was her plan, so they stood back to watch it unfold.

The Prime Minister spoke into the cluster of microphones attached to the podium, “My fellow Amrans. Today is a unique day in the history of Amra. We are doing something that has never before been done in our history. To understand the significance of it, a little background is necessary.

“We have been involved in a training mission in Palarma for the past three years. We’ve been training the Palarma Military how to deal with insurgent groups such as the Enforcers of God. Our military advisers...” he pointed towards some men in uniform, “ ... are convinced that Palarma has learned all that we have to teach them.

“Continuing to stay in Palarma will cost us money and the lives of the young men and women serving there. Those lives would gain nothing towards ending hostilities. This is, at heart, a conflict that must be resolved in Palarma by Palarmans.

“The situation in Palarma is not settled, and may continue for a time, while Palarma takes over the day to day operations in rounding up and arresting members of the Enforcers of God. However, my counterpart in Palarma is convinced that they can handle the problem now, although they would appreciate a little support.

“Our forces currently stationed in Palarma will be leaving immediately after we sign this contract giving our role over to Jade Force. Our young men and women are returning home victorious in completing the mission of training the Palarma Military. You should welcome them home like the heroes they are.

“I will step over to the table and sign the contract. Once Pen Sada has signed it, she has a few words to say on behalf of the Jade Force of Misera. Are you ready, Pen Sada?”

“Yep,” she said with a smile.

She practically skipped over to the table on which the contract was resting. She watched him sign the contract using a dozen pens in the process. He was careful to hand out pens to a line of important fellows who were important because they were good contributors to the party. Sada grabbed a pen and signed the contract in a flourish. She tossed the pen over towards the horde of reporters. One young reporter caught it, almost surprised at having ended up with the pen.

Still smiling, she walked over to the podium and, whiling looking directly at the Prime Minister. said, “Congratulations, Mr. Prime Minister. In the entire history of the world, I believe that was the most amazing declaration of victory that has ever been given by the leader of a defeated army.”

The microphones at the podium were sensitive enough to capture the collective inhales of the gathered press. The face of the Prime Minister had turned purple and his fists were clenched tight enough to draw blood. It was a long awkward silence before she turned back to look at the press.

All signs of a smile were gone from her face. She didn’t look happy or like a pleasant young lady intimidated by a crowd. She looked hard and threatening. Dangerous was the word that came to mind of anyone looking at her.

Pen Sada, in a calm voice, said, “To the ten million citizens of Palarma, I have message for you and it is one to which you must listen. I can not emphasize enough just how important this message is to you.

“In the next forty eight hours, you have a simple choice to make. You are to take a side in this conflict. You must join us or join the Enforcers of God. There is no alternative. There is no one who is innocent in the battlefield. You can’t hide from this war. The Enforcers of God will shoot from behind you and we will shoot them, through you.

“If you pick up weapons and fight against the Enforcers of God, then there won’t be an Enforcer of God left alive in Palarma. I know the idea of going against them terrifies you. There’s one thing you haven’t considered. You outnumber them, ten million to eighty thousand.

“The Enforcers of God don’t stand a chance if you all turn against them. You have guns, and you know how use them. You don’t have to march around like soldiers and set up barricades. You don’t confront them. You don’t have to show yourself in a manner where they can shoot at you. They have proven they are evil, and you know it. You can shoot them in the back from inside your house. Ten of you can fire all at once, all at the same man. If there are a hundred of them on the street, then a thousand of you can shoot at them. Do not be afraid for your lives. They will be the ones dying.

“Remember, Jarjan has abandoned them. The Voices of Jarjan calling for them to go forth and slay your children have been silenced. Not one Voice of Jarjan praises them, or what they do. They are reviled by Jarjan.

“The war could be over in two days. You will live long, happy and peaceful lives. Your children will live long happy lives.

“On the other hand, if you pick up weapons and join the Enforcers of God, then we will kill everyone of you. We will march across your country destroying every village, town, and city that fails to surrender to us and turn over every Enforcer of God within the town. There won’t be a man, woman, child, cat, dog, or goat left alive if you resist us.

“The choice is yours. Resist the Enforcers of God and live or join the Enforcers of God and die. You have forty-eight hours to make a decision.”

The expression of horror on the Prime Minister’s face was on the cover of every newspaper in the country, and around half of the world.


Four hours later, Sword Sada stepped into the command center that had been set up inside Palarma. Although they had given the people of Palarma forty-eight hours in which to make a decision, Jade Force was already at war. There were a thousand Jade Warriors spread across the country.

“Interesting speech, Sword Sada,” Sword Miquel said.

“Thank you. I practiced it in the mirror,” she replied lightly.

Sword Miquel said, “I don’t know if they’ll take it seriously.”

“Of course they won’t.”

“They will,” Hammer Veda said from over by her computer.

She had a map with the disposition of Jade Warriors on the screen. Also shown were the known locations of Enforcers of God. Tracking devices had been placed on vehicles known to be used by the enemy. Those Jade Warriors who had features similar to the locals, were dressed as locals. They were moving around the streets making observations. They were reporting back the activities that were taking place in the major cities.

“So what happened when you visited the Prime Minister?”

“His security folks didn’t like that I was fully armed,” Sword Sada said. “There was a little pushing and shoving when they got aggressive in trying to disarm me. Bad mistake on their part. We got that straightened out.”

“Why did one of them go to the hospital?”

“He was knocked out when the gun I kicked out of the hand of one of the idiots hit him square in the center of his forehead.”

“That must have been some kick.”

“I was a little outnumbered so my initial reaction was a little forceful,” Sword Sada said.

“I can imagine.”

Shield Arkady said, “You should have seen the expression on their faces when they noticed that I was standing right next to the Prime Minister commenting to him on how well Pen Sada was fighting.”

“Where was Shield Alena?”

“She was sitting on the Prime Minister’s desk cheering Sada on.”

“I thought the Prime Minister looked a little stressed during the interview.”

Sword Sada said, “If you thought he was stressed before and during the interview, you should have seen him after my little speech. He looked like he was about to explode. I recommended that he have his doctor check out his blood pressure.”

“I’m sure he took your advice.”

“He was quite loud in demanding that I leave his office. One can only assume that it was so he could have some privacy when his physician attended to him.”

Shield Arkady wondered how Sword Sada had managed to say that with a straight face. She said, “Only you would assume that.”

“Didn’t you know that I can be very diplomatic when I’m acting as a Pen?”

Everyone in the command center cracked up laughing. It took a long time for the laughter to die down. It would just about die down and then one of them would look at her.

When it finally quieted down, Sword Sada asked, “So what’s the situation?”

“It appears that things are not going well for the Enforcers of God. They’re shocked by the deaths of the fanatical Voices of Jarjan. Even they recognize that their legitimacy is being called into question. There’s been some dissension in the ranks. The fact is, they don’t know what to do about it.”

“The destruction of their weapon caches have caused a logistics problem for them. They’ve had years to set up all of those stockpiles. The sudden disappearance of that much ammunition shocked them. Now they are scrambling to replace what they’ve lost. They don’t really have a logistics team capable of managing it,” Hammer Veda answered.

“We’ve gotten intel that they are bringing more weapons into the country. Enforcers of God in Hamasada, Grete, Joma, Rasbi, and Venu are sending whatever they can spare. Factories are gearing up to produce more rockets.”

“Where will the rockets come from?”

“Amran intelligence says that the rockets are being manufactured in Hamasada and shipped over the border.”

“Is the antenna set up on the border with Hamasada?”

“Yes. We erected it before you signed the contract.”

“I suppose now would be a good time to send a message to our friends, the Enforcers of God in Hamasada,” Sword Sada said with a smile.

“Quarter power?”

“Yes. We don’t want to wipe out our own electronics,” she said.

“Good idea,” Sword Miquel said making a gesture over to Shield Gerta.

Sword Sada asked, “Are the signs posted along the border?”

“Yes.”

The signs stated that anyone entering into the country was entering a war zone. Unless they were willing to die, it would be in their best interest to turn around and leave the country.

Hammer Veda said, “They don’t appear to be working. Truck loads of young men are pouring into the country.”

“If the young men are Enforcers of God, then the signs are working perfectly. Are the mini-antennas along the highway set up?”

“Yes.”

“I expect that we’ll see some car problems develop along the highway,” Sword Sada said with a smile.

“They better be careful. Not only do the trunks of cars spontaneously explode, but there are improvised explosive devices all along the highways,” Sword Anat said with a smirk.

Jade Force was using the tactics employed by the terrorists against the terrorists. Improvised explosives buried in the highway were passively waiting to be set off by Misera Army observers. With the influx of Gangins into the Misera Army, they now had special forces teams that were among the best in the world. It helped that they were trained by Jade Warriors.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close