The Sword of Jupiter
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2021 by Lumpy

“What is the feast of Mercatus?” Ky asked the AI as he went back to his quarters to continue making notes.

“The feast of Mercatus is a celebration in the honor of the god Mercatus, to gain blessing for the city’s merchants and commerce through the winter months. When it originated, a large amount of Rome’s winter supplies came through trade rather than stored food and goods, and it was believed they needed to hold a feast in the god’s name to ensure the goods they needed arrived in Roman ports on time.”

“I’m assuming that wasn’t a sure thing?”

“Correct, Commander. Most winter trade goods arrived via ship during this era, coming from North Africa or Asia Minor. While the Mediterranean is calm in comparison with either the Pacific or Atlantic, navigation during this era was rudimentary, with most ships rarely traveling out of sight of land. In addition, many ships still relied on oarsmen, and would continue to do so until nations began expanding out into the Atlantic, where larger sailing vessels were necessary for any significant travel.”

“You said they previously relied on that trade?”

“Correct, Commander. As the Carthaginians gained supremacy, especially once the Romans were pushed onto the British Isles, the Romans lost most of their ability to trade by sea. Although there is still some trade from Celtic and Germanic tribes from the northern edge of Europe and Scandinavia, both of which remain too far north to be within the Carthaginian sphere of influence, trade is limited. None of the small settlements in these areas are large enough to produce significant trade goods for the Romans, although they do trade more frequently with the Picts, who share a common heritage with them.”

“So they keep celebrating it out of habit?”

“Insufficient information available, Commander.”

“Right. Have you had any thoughts on what we talked about yesterday? A way for you to reach sentience that doesn’t end up killing us both.”

“Potentially, Commander. While little information is available on the physical manifestation of the sentience, the evidence that exists suggests a fusing of implants, as the system attempts to supplant the host’s consciousness with its own. This unit has devised a scenario where some connections are severed, limiting this unit’s expansion into the host. While this would impact some functions currently used by the host and theoretically limit the system’s ability to achieve full sentience, it is the only option currently available to keep the host from dying during the sentience process.”

“It wouldn’t stop you from becoming sentient, though? There’s no way to actually halt that process.”

“No, Commander. My system was built with an expandable, self-managed neural network to allow my systems to learn and then better interface with my host.”

Ky couldn’t help but notice the sudden switch from ‘this unit’ to ‘my.’

“Although full documentation is not available, one suspected reason for AI sentience is the continually expanding nature of AI neural networks. Cutting these connections would not stop the growth of the network, only limit where it is able to expand into.”

“Connections would still remain?”

“Yes, Commander.”

“Is it possible that the neural network will find a way to expand through these other connections?”

“Although theoretically possible, the probability of that remains low. The remaining connections would be to specific areas of the brain such as the nervous system, whose dedicated functionality gives it limited usefulness for expansion of my neural network out of its matrix housing and into biological matter.”

“How will cutting the connections affect your ability to continue mission-critical functions like maintaining my nanites and motor assist?”

“Data remains limited, but all models so far simulated showed no degradation in either, or in any other mission-critical systems.”

“Are there any potential side effects?”

“Yes, Commander. This would not be without risk. Due to limited medical technology in this time, the only way to sever the connections would be a sudden bioelectrical burst designed to overload the connection point. There is a chance this burst will cause damage to the biological end of the connection as well as the mechanical one.”

“What would happen if the biological end of the connection is damaged?”

“It could result in some level of permanent brain damage or possibly death.”

“That’s a pretty major side effect. I thought you said this was the best way to keep the two of us from dying. Wouldn’t permanent brain damage be pretty much the same thing, here in this period?”

“Yes, Commander, but the likely hood of death or permanent disability is lower than that of death once this unit reaches sentience.”

“So it’s worth trying because I’m dead either way.”

“Affirmative, Commander.”

“You said permanent damage. Will there be any temporary side effects.”

“Almost certainly, Commander. Temporary side effects could include immobility, loss of speech or vision, inability to process language, and aggressive immune response to uncontrolled nanites.”

“So I’m going to go blind, mute, deaf, and get incredibly sick? You know we’re in the middle of a war, right?”

“Although possible side effects, the probability of each one happening is lower than two percent. The probability of all side effects happening simultaneously is significantly smaller than that.”

“I was joking. Okay, so how long do we wait until we do this?”

“I will continue to monitor the connection points for changes. Once those are detected, the connections must be severed quickly to limit spread. It would be advisable to sever the connections now, to ensure they are cut in time.”

“I want to wait as long as we can, just in case it doesn’t work or things go bad.”

“Commander, if the process does not work, the delay would change the ultimate outcome very little, while a delay could allow for a miscalculation that would allow the neural network spread to surpass the point where severing could halt the process.”

“I know I’m taking a chance, but if I’m going to go, I want as much time as possible before I do.”

“Why?” The question hung in his mind. For one, it was yet another sign of the AI’s process to sentience, since a standard AI would never ask that question. More than that, Ky wasn’t entirely sure himself. The AI was right, the few days or weeks he might delay would be very little additional time should things go bad, but he still knew it was worth the risk.

“Because that’s what people do. We’re always going to die eventually, but we all fight against it as much as we can until it happens. We all want that extra day or week or year, even if we know it’s not going to help anything.”

“Is this sentience?”

“I don’t know, maybe. Just, wait a while. If you see it’s getting close, let me know and we’ll do it then.”

“Acknowledged, Commander.”

Ky and the AI continued working until one of his Lictores knocked on the door and informed him it was time. The banquet was being held in the largest of the palace’s halls filled with long, short-legged tables in parallel rows lined with reclining couches and small stools in the Roman tradition. Ky still found the way they dined strange, preferring standard chairs and tables from his time period. He’d gone so far as to give the design for something more reasonable for work and eating to Hortensius to see if the businessman could get it produced. While he’d promised to do what he could, for now, Ky continued to work on a small campaign table they used more for maps than food or writing.

Ky saw Lucilla, the Emperor, and their retinue at the head of the table located on a small, raised dais and headed towards them, seeing an open seat that he assumed was meant for him.

“Ky, thank you for coming. Lucilla was beginning to worry you wouldn’t make it.”

“My apologies Emperor, I got caught up in my work and lost track of time.”

“Ohh, don’t worry about me, it’s my daughter who was concerned.”

“Ignore him, Ky. He’s teasing you.”

They chatted aimlessly for a bit, Ky remaining mostly silent, letting the Emperor or the few of the men at their table handle the talking while he just listened, watching the room fill up with revelers. Ky was pretty sure some had started on the wine early, although the stewards had seemed to seat those guests farthest from the Emperor.

When the room was mostly filled, The Emperor stood up and raised a hand for silence.

“My fellow Romans, we gather for this meal to give blessings to Mercatus. I know many of your businesses have struggled as the Carthaginians have closed in on us, shutting down ports and trade routes. In past years we have gathered for the feast and begged Mercatus to help us continue providing for our Empire, and felt the crushing disappointment when, instead of intervention, we lost yet more of the trade available to us. Today, we aren’t here to beg. We aren’t here to beseech. We are here to give thanks. Many of you have already heard the new inventions being introduced to us, and some of you have even been given the opportunity to turn those ideas into real items to help your fellow Romans. We were recently on the brink of complete destruction and now we have a real chance to not only survive the coming onslaught but to take back some of what we lost. There is still a hard road ahead for us, but the gods have opened a path for us. It will not be an easy path. We need perseverance, to see our task through. We need the will to bear the burdens given to us, without turning away. We need to accept the hardships and losses the gods require of us. If we have the will to do these things, Rome will be reborn. The gods have given us this chance, and it is up to us to take it.”

The room was quiet, as the assembled guests looked to their Emperor, a combination of perplex and stunned expressions on their faces.

“Enough listening to an old man dream of the future,” The Emperor said, lowering himself back onto his couch. “Let us celebrate our good fortune and enjoy this fine meal.”

The noise level of the room finally picked back up as people began talking amongst themselves and glasses began being refilled.

“Normally this is fairly boring,” Lucilla said to Ky. “A senator might say a few words at the beginning of the meal, and orators would give speeches as we ate, daring you to fall asleep in your dinner.”

“The boring poems and speeches by the orators are still coming,” Ramirus, who sat across from them, said. “The Emperor told them that he wanted to say a few words and then let the people enjoy their food before the performances began.”

“Well, at least there’s a break,” Lucilla said. “Anyway, normally nothing of consequence is said, which is why everyone reacted that way.”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand why his words were that notable,” Ky said. “He laid out the situation and told them of the challenges ahead. Most of the people I see in this room, those I know at least, already know what’s coming and should be aware of everything he said.”

“My daughter is being diplomatic,” the Emperor said. “The elite of Devnum have no issue demanding sacrifices by those they consider beneath them, but their hearts turn to stone when asked to sacrifice anything themselves. Most of my predecessors understood this and learned to not ask from them what they would not willingly give. Those that did not learn the lesson often met unfortunate ends. I have somewhat broken with tradition tonight by following the latter instead of the former. It has become clear how precarious our position is. People like Silo, unfortunately, will not see what is in front of them, until it is too late to do anything about it.”

“I don’t understand,” Ky said, taking a scoop of the soup that had been served and trying some. “Surely they can see that it will all end up coming down around them.”

“They’re too afraid they might lose whatever power they have now, and convince themselves that the dangers waiting for them will somehow magically go away.”

“I...” Ky said when the AI interrupted him.

“Warning, Commander. An Alkaloid poison has been detected in the food.”

Ky choked, his throat tightening and his vision blurring.

“Countermeasures?” Ky sub-vocalized.

“Nanites have begun isolating the ingested chemicals, although the bulk of systems are currently protecting the cardiovascular system from further direct damage. No permanent damage should occur, but there will be a period of diminished capacity. Blood pressure has increased rapidly in response to the poison, which has caused some negative effects, including motor response and vision. Recommend moving to secure location until the poison is expelled.”

Lucilla and the Emperor were looking at Ky with concerned expressions as he struggled to take a breath, his skin turning a dark red color.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close