Druids #1 John Carter - Cover

Druids #1 John Carter

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 18

The wedding ceremony was a quiet affair, attended by the parents of the new bride and groom. Linda and Leroy glowed with happiness. Linda looked gorgeous in her white robe, the white contrasting nicely with her dark skin. Leroy looked handsome, but felt a little uncomfortable wearing a white robe as it raised thoughts of racist organizations. Ling wore a white robe and shifted nervously, as this was her first time through the ceremony as well. John wore his brown robe and looked impressive with his cloak and walking stick. His white hair and beard helped give him a mystical look. Ed wore his black robe and still looked like a cowboy wearing a black robe. Kelly wore her green robe; which hid the fact that she was eight months pregnant.

Beth’s parents came to act as representatives of the parents of the existing family members. For them, this was a bittersweet moment. It was nice to be included in the ceremony, but it reminded them that the last time it was their daughter getting married. It also reminded them how seriously the family took their relationships with the parents of the individual members. They had been taken into the family fold without a single question being raised.

The ceremony was performed by Mary Darling. The ceremony was the same as the first wedding and had been performed on the anniversary of the original wedding. The blood of the new members was added to the wine that had been used at the original ceremony. Like before, observers swore they saw the Gods and Goddesses attending the ceremony. The Native Americans swore they could see the animal spirits around John and Linda. This, more than the obvious happiness of Linda, convinced them that this marriage was a good thing.

A large buffet dinner was served in the formal dining room. The spread of food was quite impressive. There was venison, duck, elk, fish, beef, chicken, quail, and pork. As side dishes, there were pinto beans, green beans, steamed carrots, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, greens, potatoes au gratin, rice, white asparagus, salad, Brussel sprouts, peas, and cauliflower. Absent were thick french-fries and broccoli, both of which had been banned by a unanimous decision by John, Ed, and Leroy. Of course, Marguerite had given all three of them plates with thick french-fries and broccoli.

There were more people than places around the table so the party spread out to encompass both the living room and dining room. People tended to sit in one place for a while and then move to another place to talk to other people. There was a continual movement of people around the front of the house.

Linda’s family was quite impressed by the prominent place that the tribal gift had in the living room. It was mounted in a glass case to protect it from dust with lights shining upon it to make it stand out. Below it was a brass plaque stating the honor shown the family by the gift. Each member of her family took the time to look at the gift and the care with which its presentation was made.

John sat down next to Leroy’s parents, Leroy Sr. and Cleo. Leroy Sr. asked, “So what is this group marriage thing about? Are you some sort of cult?”

John shook his head and answered, “Well, this group marriage thing is about love. It’s a group of people helping each other. We work so that each of us can become the best person that they can be. Ed got his doctorate in this marriage. Linda is working at being an author. Kelly is the best triage nurse in the country. Ling is a highly recognized expert in security. I’m a physicist.”

“We’re not a cult. Ed, Kelly, and I are Druids. We serve the Gods and Goddesses. Although I am the Grand Druid, we don’t ask that anyone believe along with us. Leroy can continue to be a Southern Baptist. Ling is still a Buddhist. Linda will continue to follow the beliefs of her tribe,” John added. He could see the disbelief on Leroy Sr.’s face. Leroy had warned him that his father was a very devote Southern Baptist and served as a deacon in the church.

“So you’re head of this so-called religion?”

“Yes, I am. We serve the good.”

“Do you really expect me to believe you?”

John smiled as he answered, “No. You don’t have to believe me. All that I ask is that you respect my belief as much as I respect yours.”

Cleo asked, “So what do you think of our religion?”

John looked at her and carefully answered, “I think it’s a good religion. It helps many people live good and honest lives. It provides a set of guidelines that value love and good treatment of people. Your God works miracles to help true believers.”

Leroy Sr. asked, “If you feel that way, why aren’t you a Christian?”

“I have met my Gods and Goddesses. They have commanded me to serve in a different way.”

Leroy Sr., convinced now more than ever that John was some kind of Satanist, asked, “You met your Gods and Goddesses?”

John was getting tired of this line of questioning. He knew that no amount of words would convince the man that his religion served the good. He pulled out his medallion and held it out. “Touch the medallion.”

Leroy Sr. reached out and, with a skeptical look at John touched the medallion. Immediately he found himself in a meadow. The air was clean, the grass soft underfoot, and the birds called to one another. He found himself staring at a beautiful naked woman. She was black and proudly African. He couldn’t help getting an erection. She stared at him for several minutes. Her voice sounded like wind rustling through trees. “You have a question?”

“John Carter never said you were black.”

The woman laughed. She changed into the white woman that John had seen. “This is how John Carter sees me.”

“Are you a demon?”

“Deacon Jones, I doubt that a demon would give you a message from your God.” The woman’s laughter tinkled like water in a tumbling brook. “The Son of your God calls to you. He wants you in the church with a red door and a white cross on the steeple in Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico at sunrise on Easter Morning.”

Leroy Sr. found himself staring at John. His trembling hand had dropped away from the medallion. He knew that he would be in that church at the appointed time. No demon would send him to a holy building on the most holy of mornings. He stared at John and asked, “How?”

John shrugged as he answered, “I have no idea what you experienced.”

John stood up and left the room. Leroy Sr. was strangely quiet. His wife looked at him concerned for his state of mind. He whispered something to her and she looked at him in shock.

John headed back into the dining room. He found William Redman standing in the doorway to the kitchen, watching Marguerite learn how to make flat bread from his wife. He was smiling at the intense concentration the woman gave learning how to cook this staple of life. William turned to John and said, “Your cook makes a good venison dish. My wife went in to find out how she prepared the venison. Now she is teaching your cook how to make Indian Flat Bread.”

“Marguerite cooks with a passion. She will take any opportunity to learn how to prepare a new dish.”

William watched the activity. “You have a strange group of people here, John Carter. Sometimes I don’t know what to make of you.”

“Only sometimes?”

“Okay, most of the time.” William laughed. “Where does such intensity come from?”

“It’s simple really. Everyone in this house strives for excellence in everything that we do.”

“That is hard to do.”

“No, it’s simple. Striving for perfection is impossible, even if it’s perfection in one thing.”

William nodded at that and understood the wisdom behind it. It fit in with a common belief among his people. “The women always leave a flaw in their weaving so the spider woman can get out. Their products are never perfect, but they are always excellent.”

“I have noticed that you are deliberate in everything that you do.”

William retorted, “That’s my old age. You have to take care how you even walk or else you fall and break a hip. You watch what you say because you don’t have the breath to explain it twice.”

John noticed Ed and Leroy enter the dining room and waved them over. He pointed to the clock and they nodded their heads. John held up both hands with two fingers raised. They understood his gesture. They went to the beverage table and prepared two large glasses of iced tea each. John asked, “Would you join us upstairs?”

William shrugged and followed John up the stairs. He grinned when he saw that John had led him to roof and four chairs. John motioned to him to sit down. Both men sat down in the chairs. Ed and Leroy came up with the iced teas. Ed handed his extra to John while Leroy handed his extra to William. The two men sat down in the remaining two chairs.

William nodded as he watched the sun set in the west. He, like the others, sipped his iced tea while watching the sun disappear beneath the horizon. The colors were gorgeous. The men watched quietly, enjoying the spectacle nature provided every evening. They didn’t even have to buy tickets to see it.

When the colors faded and night fell, William took a final sip of his iced tea. The ice made a nice rattling sound in the empty glass. He turned to the others and asked, “You do this often?”

“Every night that we are here,” replied Ed. “We use this time to appreciate nature and to strengthen the bonds among us.”

John looked slightly pained as he looked at William. He didn’t want to impose on the old man, but he felt that he had no choice. He said, “William. I have a favor to ask of you.”

William was surprised, John had never asked anything of him or the tribe despite all that he had done for them. He looked at John and asked, “What is it that you want?”

“I would like it if our children could spend a year on the reservation with your family to learn your values.”

“Why do you ask before they are of age to come?” William asked. The timing of the request was strange. Their first child had not been born yet.

John was silent for a long time. Ed and Leroy wondered if John had actually not heard the question. John sighed and said, “Because I won’t be here to ask and this will be my last chance to ask you.”

Leroy and Ed stared at John as his words sunk in. Ed could tell that John was speaking the truth, as he knew it. He sat back and wondered why John believed that he wouldn’t be around in ten years. He could understand why John might believe that William wouldn’t be around at that time. William was close to a hundred years old. John was only in his early forties and had another forty years that he could expect to live.

Leroy, uncomfortable in the silence that had descended upon the group, was the first to speak. “Why do you say that?”

“My work is almost done,” John replied. His delivery of that statement was flat and unemotional. There was no arguing with him about that point.

Ed said, “Even if your work is done, that doesn’t mean that you will die.”

Laughing, John replied, “Nature doesn’t keep useless things around.”

Leroy suggested, “Your work may change once again.”

William had not listened to the rest of the conversation. He was trying to work out an answer. He nodded and said, “I shall ask my grandson, Robert White Feather, if he will take in your children.”

“Thank you, William.” John looked at the old man. “I’m sorry that I had to ask you to do this. I know that Leroy will teach the children to appreciate nature and that Ed will teach them to be honest. Kelly shall teach them empathy. Ling shall teach them how to defend themselves. Linda will teach them how to take pleasure in life. I know that your family can teach them respect and deliberation.”

“You honor me with such a request. To entrust your future generation to the care of my family is a sign of respect that I have never seen matched.”

“Thank you, William.” John looked at Ed and John. He took a deep breath and then said, “Let us return to the party downstairs.”

Everyone went down stairs with the exception of John, who hung back for a moment. He looked out over the desert and sighed. He told the desert, “The College opens in a year. The first class shall graduate in seven. I hope you see fit for me to live to then.”

John returned downstairs. Kelly came up to John and asked, “Are you okay?”

“Yes I am, my beloved.” John looked at Kelly with a smile on his face. He smiled and asked, “Have I told you lately that I love you?”

“No you haven’t.”

“Okay, remind me that I owe you a couple hundred I love you’s.”

Kelly playfully kicked him in the shin. “Is that how you want me to remind you?”

“I love you.” John walked around for a few steps as though lame.

Kelly hugged him tightly. There were times when she felt as if she looked like an elephant. Every time she felt that way, John would come along and say exactly the right thing. She nuzzled his neck and said, “I love you, too.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close