Windymere Crater - Cover

Windymere Crater

Copyright© 2021 by Mark Randall

Chapter 5

Peter and I were in the common room, picking up our rations when Peter stiffened up. He was looking at something across the room, and I could tell he wasn’t happy.

Anticipating a problem, I asked, “What is it, Peter? Is there a problem?”

Peter waved me off. “Gideon, wait here. I’ll be back in a minute or two. Whatever happens, don’t do anything. Don’t get involved. I can take care of this, and all you would do is make it worse.”

Peter was looking across the room at a trio of men. They had just cleared the supply window and were standing off to the side, talking to each other.

Peter crossed the room and approached the group. “Hello, Shaun. How’s life been treating you?”

The red-haired member of the group, who had been watching Peter since they had walked in, spoke up. “Tolerable Philip, tolerable, and you?”

“Well, Shaun, I don’t go by Philip anymore. Too much attention, bad attention, with that name. I’m using Peter now. A tad safer, don’t ya know.”

“Yes, yes, I understand, boyo. Good to see ya, though. Got anything going right now?”

“Me? Nothing important, nothing to interest the brothers. How bout you? It seems trouble is never far behind you. Is there something I should worry about?”

“Well, PETER, we’ve been hired on for a job here. It seems the brothers have some financial interests that need straightening out hereabouts. We’ve been tasked to convince certain people to honor their agreements.”

“I see, and is this going to be soon? or is there time to get ready for it?”

“That depends, PETER. It depends on how certain people act regarding their promises. If they see the right of it, well, nobody will be the wiser. I think you know what I mean. But I wouldn’t wait too long, PETER. That is, if you were to keep going it on your own. But if you were to come back in, so to speak, time wouldn’t really matter anymore, now would it?”

“If you say so, Shaun. I guess I’ll have to start thinking about the future now.”

“Now, PETER, you might want to avoid any of the troubles. You could come back into the fold, so to speak. I know there are a few of the brothers that would like to see you again. You might have to answer some questions first. There have been some doubts as to your enthusiasm for the cause. But knowing you as I do, I’m sure you would have good explanations. If they were good enough, all would be forgiven.”

“If you could give me a couple of days to think about it, Shaun? This is a big step you’re asking of me.”

“Don’t take too long, PETER. The Brothers may belong on forgiveness, but they’re short on patience.”

Standing, Peter said, “Soon Shaun, soon.” nodding at the other two, he turned and came back.

“Gideon, I’m going to give you a piece of advice. Stay away from those three. Stay away from anybody they get together with. Don’t ask me any questions. I can’t answer them and keep you and the others safe. There might be trouble just because I’m with you now. I can’t say any more than that.”

The next day, the call went out for several volunteers to go dirtside for a supply run at the assignment formation. Peter was one of the first in line. I didn’t understand his enthusiasm. He generally avoided the heavy work tasks. Being the first in line, however, he got picked.

That was the last I ever saw Peter Durand.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close