Windymere Crater
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2021 by Mark Randall

Things continued to deteriorate, and both sides were at fault. On one side, Fitzpatrick was stirring up resentment among the miners. On the other side, the company police became more violent and less tolerant.

Things came to a head when several of the police were caught red-handed raping a female food services tech. The cops involved were able to get away, but several of the witnesses were injured in the process. The word was that they had been beaten to discourage saying anything.

Before Shaun Fitzpatrick had a chance to get involved, the mob acted.

As word spread through the sector, more and more workers joined in. The difference this time was that the miners were sober. There hadn’t been enough time for alcohol to inflame passions. Before anybody could predict, a mass of a hundred miners were marching through the corridors towards the administration offices.

The Administrator on duty could see the approaching mob on his CCTV and hear their angry shouts, even without the audio surveillance.

His frightened response was to call out the riot police.

The mob on one side clashed with the riot squad on the other. What resulted was a pitched battle between them. But, as with most riots like this, the more violent phase was short-lived. Both sides backed off after about 30 minutes, dragging their wounded with them.

Unfortunately for the Company, a video of the riot was released to the media. The more shocking scenes were of the bloody miners being bludgeoned by riot police batons. There was even an interview with the raped food services tech. She was speaking from a cot in a make-shift hospital. The facial bruises and cuts were shocking to the viewers. Her tearful testimony tugged at even the hardest hearts.

Because of the video, public opinion started running against the Company. First on Mars, then Earth. Several FN Senators, not fans of the Phobos Mining Company, demanded that action be taken.

At first, there was a question of jurisdiction. Would Mars claim responsibility, or would Earth violate Mars sovereignty by getting involved?

This was solved quickly when Mars announced that, while they despised the conditions on their FORMER moon, they had legally ceded ownership to the Phobos Company, an EARTH based company. Therefore, any issues involved in the behavior of the Phobos Company was a Federated Nations issue and not the Mars Confederation.

Once that question was settled, it was decided that a company of FN Marines would be sent to Phobos to secure the peace and the continued, profitable operations there. That night a delegation for the independent Union was selected. Surprisingly Shaun Fitzpatrick, while nominated, refused to join the delegation. In the following weeks, they came up with a list of grievances and demands for the Company.

Thirty-five days later, Colonel Hezekiah Montgomery, commanding, arrived with a company of FN Combat Marines.

Colonel Montgomery was the first off, a marine combat lander. It was large enough for 1000 battle-ready troops but, in this case, only a company. Nevertheless, a combat outfitted company of battle-hardened Marines was still a force to be reckoned with.

As he was coming down the landing ramp. The management team greeted him for the Company. There were handshakes all around and pleasantries offered.

An overweight, florid-faced, Administrator was leading the group. “Colonel, I am Simon Tiberius, the Administrator for the Phobos Company. Welcome.”

“Thank you, Mr. Tiberius. Is this your negotiating team?” The Colonel motioned toward the half dozen hangers-on standing behind Tiberius.

“Negotiating team? I’m afraid you have been misinformed. The Phobos Company fully authorizes me to decide on any actions to be taken in this crisis. I had been told that your presence was solely to ensure that my orders were carried out with a minimum of disruption to our operations. In other words, you are under my orders, Sir.”

“It appears that you are the one that has been misinformed, Mr. Tiberius. I answer to the Federation Fleet Headquarters, specifically Admiral Washburn. My orders are to mediate the negotiations between your Company and the miners’ Union.”

Tiberius interrupted, “These rebels are NOT a union. There is already a union in place that we have a contract with. This is a mob of thugs and criminals. They will. They must be dealt with severely. How else will the rest learn?”

“Mr. Tiberius, regardless of whether you recognize them as a union or not. They have disrupted your operations. There have also been disturbing images of violence shown on the vid channels. People across the Federation are demanding answers, and members of the Senate themself are upset over unfulfilled contracts. My orders are to bring an end to this and get this situation under control.”

“Now, my immediate requirement is a conference room large enough to accommodate myself, my team, You and your team, and the union team.”

“It also needs to have the capability for vid conferencing to my communications people. Ultimately this will be broadcast across the system. I will have an honest and fair negotiation. Something that everybody will see and none will deny. Do you have any questions?”

Tiberius was red-faced furious. He stuttered for a moment. Then he seemed to regain his composure. “Very well, Colonel, we will provide what you request. Will you be contacting the other parties and relaying your conditions?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close