Sabotage in Space - Cover

Sabotage in Space

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Chapter 6

Sabotage!

Major Connel, Commander Walters, Captain Strong, Professor Hemmingwell, and Dave Barret stared unbelievingly at the tangle of wires and smashed tubes on the main deck of the sleek spaceship.

“Get every man that has been in this hangar during the last twenty-four hours and have him brought under guard to the laboratory for psychographs.” Commander Walters’ face was grim as he snapped out the order.

Professor Hemmingwell and Barret got down on their hands and knees and examined the wrecked firing device carefully. After a long period of silence, while Strong, Walters, and Connel watched them pawing through the tangle of wires and broken connections, Hemmingwell stood up.

“It can be replaced in twelve hours,” he announced. “I believe that whoever did this either didn’t know what he was doing, or it was an accident.”

“Explain that, will you, Professor?” asked Strong. “I don’t understand.”

“This is an important unit,” Hemmingwell replied, indicating the wreckage, “but not the most important part of the whole unit. Anyone who really knew what he was doing and wanted to delay the project could have done so much more easily by simply destroying this.” Hemmingwell held out a small metallic-looking cylinder.

“What is that, Professor?” asked Barret.

“Don’t you know?” asked Connel.

“No, he doesn’t,” snapped Professor Hemmingwell. “This is something I developed that only the commander and myself know about.”

“So, if you and Commander Walters are the only ones that know about it,” said Steve Strong slowly, “then a saboteur would have thought it unimportant and concentrated on the rest of the mechanism.”

“Looks that way,” mused Connel. “But there is still the possibility that it was an accident, as the professor said.”

Strong looked at Connel questioningly and then back to the wreckage. The unit had been hurled from the upper deck of the spaceship, down to the main deck, and it looked as if someone had trampled on its delicate works.

“I’ll have a crew put right to work on this,” said Hemmingwell.

“Commander,” Connel suddenly announced, “I’m going ahead with my trip to Mars to inspect the testing receivers. I don’t think this incident is serious enough for me to delay leaving, and if Professor Hemmingwell and his men can get this unit back in operation in twelve hours, then there’s very little time lost and we can go ahead with the tests on schedule.”

“All right, Lou,” said Walters. “Do whatever you think best. I’ll have a ship made ready for you at the Academy spaceport any time you want to leave.”

Connel nodded his thanks. “I think I’ll take the Polaris, with Cadet Corbett along as second pilot,” he said. “I’m getting too old to make a solo hop in a scout all the way to Mars. I need my rest.” He grinned slyly at Walters.

“Rest,” Walters snorted. “If I know you, Lou Connel, you’ll be up all night working out standard operational procedures for the space projectiles.” He turned to Strong. “He’s so sure this will work that he’s already writing a preliminary handbook for the enlisted personnel.”

Strong turned and looked at the major, amazed. Every day he learned more and more about the space-hardened veteran.

Connel turned to Strong. “Will you give Corbett the order to be ready at 0600 hours tomorrow morning, Steve?” he asked.

“Certainly, Lou,” replied Strong.

As the major turned away, Walters called after him, “Take it easy.”

Leaving Hemmingwell and Barret to take care of clearing away the wreckage, Strong and Walters climbed out of the ship, left the hangar, and headed for the Academy.

“Do you think it was sabotage, sir?” asked Strong, as they rode on the slidewalk.

“I don’t know, Steve,” said the commander. “If that special unit of Hemmingwell’s had been damaged, I would say it might have been an accident. But the things that were damaged would have put the whole works out of commission if we didn’t have that unit.”

“Yes, sir,” said Strong grimly. “So the man who did it thought he was doing a complete job.”

“Right,” said Walters. “Assuming that it was sabotage.”

“Anyone you suspect?”

“Not a living soul,” replied Walters. “Every man in that hangar has been carefully screened by our Security Section. Background, history, everything. No, I think it really was an accident.”

“Yes, sir,” replied Strong, but not with the conviction he would like to have felt.


Pat Troy had been Professor Hemmingwell’s foreman for nearly two years. It was his job to read the complicated blueprints and keep the construction and installation work proceeding on schedule. Troy lacked a formal education, but nevertheless he could read and interpret the complicated plans which the professor and his assistants drew up, and transform their ideas into actual mechanical devices. Professor Hemmingwell considered himself fortunate to have a man of Troy’s ability not only as a co-worker, but as a close friend.

But Dave Barret did not like Troy, and he made this dislike obvious by giving Troy as much work as possible, mainly tasks that were beneath his ability, claiming he only trusted the trained scientists. Barret put the professor in the position of having to defend one to the other. He needed both men, both being excellent in their respective fields, and found it more and more difficult to maintain any kind of peaceful relationship between them. Barret, as Hemmingwell’s chief assistant and supervisor of the project, was naturally superior in rank to Troy, and made the most of it. A placid, easy-going man, Troy took Barret’s gibes and caustic comments in silence, doing his work and getting it finished on time. But occasionally he had difficulty in controlling his resentment.

The day after the accident, or sabotage attempt on the firing unit, the hangar was quiet, most of the workers still being psychographed. Troy, one of the first to be graphed, had been detained by the technicians longer than usual, but was now back at his bench, working on the unit. This incident gave Barret the opportunity he was looking for, and as he and Professor Hemmingwell strode through the hangar, he commented casually, “I hate to say this, sir, but I don’t like the way Troy has been acting lately.”

“What do you mean, Dave?” asked Hemmingwell.

“I depend a great deal on instinct,” replied Barret. “And as good as Troy’s work has been, I feel the man is hiding something.”

“Come now, Dave,” snorted the professor. “I’ve known him a long time. I think you’re being a little harsh.”

As Barret shrugged and didn’t reply, a troubled expression crossed Hemmingwell’s face. “But at the same time,” he said slowly, “if you have any reservations, I don’t suppose it would hurt to keep an eye on him.”

“Yes!” agreed Barret eagerly. “That’s just what I was thinking.”

They reached the workbench where Troy, a small man with powerful arms and shoulders, was working on a complicated array of wires and vacuum tubes. He looked up, nodded casually at the two men, and indicated the instrument.

“Here it is, Professor,” he said. “All ready to go. But I had a little trouble fitting that coil where the blueprints called for it.”

“Why?” Barret demanded. “I designed that coil myself. Isn’t it a little odd that a coil I designed, and the professor O.K.’d, should not fit?”

“I don’t care who designed it,” said Troy easily. “It didn’t fit where the blueprint indicated. I had to redesign it.”

“Now, now,” said Professor Hemmingwell, sensing trouble. “Take it easy, boys.”

“Professor,” Barret exploded, “I insist that you fire this man!”

“Fire me!” exclaimed Troy angrily. “Why, you space crawler, you’re the one who should be fired. I saw you come back to the hangar the other night alone and...”

“Of course I did!” snapped Barret. “I was sent down here to get information about--” He stopped suddenly and eyed Troy. “Wait a minute. How could you see me down here? What were you doing here?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close