Sabotage in Space - Cover

Sabotage in Space

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Chapter 9

“What!” exclaimed Major Connel. “Give me that again.”

The messenger from the Solar Guard headquarters on Mars repeated the message. “Cadet Corbett has not been in his hotel since last night, sir,” he said. “He was seen leaving the service entrance at about 2100 hours. There is no report as to his whereabouts, sir.”

Standing at the foot of the ladder leading to the main air lock of the Polaris, Major Connel turned to Carter Devers angrily.

“This is the end!” he shouted. “I’ve had as much of this foolishness as I’m going to take. When that young space brat comes back, I’m going to throw the book at him.”

“Now, now, Major,” said Devers. “I wouldn’t be too hard on the lad. How do you know that he isn’t in some kind of trouble?”

“That’s just it,” growled Connel. “One of those three is always in trouble.”

“He saved your life,” reminded Devers.

“I’m well aware of that,” replied Connel stiffly. “But it’s a personal debt. It has nothing to do with his behavior as a cadet. I ordered him to go to that hotel and rest, not go skylarking all over Marsport. This is typical of the whole unit’s attitude.”

“But you said that they were the best crew you ever had,” insisted Devers.

“I know, but what’s worse is that they know it! Blast it, Carter, it isn’t easy to say the things I’ve said about Corbett! He’s a fine lad. But look at it this way. I have to return to Atom City immediately. Corbett may be in trouble, right?” Devers nodded. “Well, how do you think I feel, blasting off and leaving him?”

Devers nodded his understanding as Connel continued furiously, “And furthermore, I have more important things to think about than wet-nursing a cadet.”

At that moment Connel noticed a jet car racing across the spaceport toward the Polaris. As it drew near, he saw the insigne of the Solar Guard on the hood. His eyes widened hopefully for a second. “Humph,” he grunted, “this may be him now!”

“If it is,” cautioned Devers, “go easy on the boy.”

“We’ll see, we’ll see.”

The car screamed to a stop in front of them, the plastic blister was thrown back, and another Solar Guard messenger climbed out, saluting Connel smartly.

“Message from Solar Guard headquarters, Major Connel,” he said.

Connel took the paper and ripped it open. “Excuse me, Carter,” he muttered and stepped to one side to read the note hurriedly.

HEMMINGWELL’S CHIEF FOREMAN ARRESTED AS SABOTEUR. ADVISE YOU RETURN

IMMEDIATELY. WALTERS

Dashing up the metal ladder, Connel roared the order to the waiting ground crew. “Stand by to blast off.”

Carter Devers scrambled up into the giant ship after the Solar Guard officer, and in less than a minute later, all ports were sealed and the Polaris was ready for space. In the pilot’s chair, Connel called traffic control for blast-off, and at the same time prepared to raise ship.

By the time Devers had strapped himself into the copilot’s chair next to Connel, the ship was quivering with leashed power. Suddenly Connel roared the familiar call for space.

“Blast off, minus five, four, three, two, one, zero!”

The great ship literally exploded off the ground, and within seconds, was rocketing through the thin atmosphere above Mars on course for Earth, far across the deep black velvet void of space, but leaving Tom Corbett, her true commander, behind.


Captain Steve Strong and Commander Walters watched grimly as the Polaris landed on the Academy spaceport. They had been in contact with Connel during his trip back to Earth and had already told the bluff major of still another incident that had taken place at the Academy while he was gone.

Roger and Astro had stolen a rocket scout and disappeared.

“I don’t get it, sir,” sighed Strong. “Manning and Astro blowing wide open, Corbett disappearing--” He shook his head. “It doesn’t make sense.”

“Perhaps not,” said Walters. “But those three are really in trouble now. Connel won’t stand for this kind of behavior.”

“Do you think that he’ll go so far as to ask for a court-martial?”

Walters hesitated. “I hate to say this, Steve,” he said finally, “but if Major Connel doesn’t, I will be forced to. No other unit has had more of an opportunity to prove itself than the Polaris unit. And every time, something like this happens.”

“But suppose they have good explanations,” insisted Strong.

“It would have to be better than anything they’ve had before,” replied Walters. “Frankly, I cannot see how that is possible.”

Walters climbed into his jet car and Strong followed, biting his lip.

The car shot across the field to the now grounded Polaris, pulling alongside it just as Major Connel and Carter Devers climbed out of the open hatch. Without even the courtesy of a greeting, Connel roared, “What’s this about those two cadets stealing a ship?”

“Let’s talk about that later, Lou,” said Walters. “Climb in. We’ve got something more important to discuss. The saboteur.”

Devers stepped forward. “This is no place for me, I know,” he said. “I’ll leave you here. And thanks for the lift, Major.”

Connel grunted his acknowledgment and climbed into the car as Strong turned to Devers.

“There was a message for you, Mr. Devers,” said the Solar Guard captain. “You’re to get in touch with your Atom City office immediately.”

“Thanks, Steve,” said Devers, and with a wave of his hand to the others walked away.

As the jet car raced back to the Tower of Galileo, Walters brought Connel up to date on the incident at the hangar leading to the arrest of Pat Troy. When they reached Walters’ office, high in the tower, Troy was ushered in by two guards.

“Sit down!” barked Connel, taking command of the situation.

Troy walked to the center of the room and sat down in the indicated chair, facing Walters, Connel, and Strong.

“We’d like to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible, Troy,” began Connel. “So I suggest that you tell us the truth and save us the trouble of pulling it out of you.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close