Sabotage in Space
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Bump-ty--bump-ty--bump-ty--

Tom Corbett’s heart beat with such rapid, heavy drumming that the young cadet felt as though it was going to tear itself right out of his chest.

For nearly six hours Tom had lain in wait in Galaxy Hall, the museum of Space Academy, on the second floor of the Tower building. He was hiding in the tail section of the Space Queen, the first rocket ship to breach space safely, blasting from Earth to Luna and back again. He had kept watch through a crack in the hull of the old ship, waiting for the lights to go out, a signal that the Academy had bedded down for the night.

Now, in the silence of the museum, surrounded by the ancient objects that traced man’s progress to the stars, Tom felt like crying. For as long as he had been at the Academy, he had revered these crude, frail objects and wondered if he would ever match the bravery of the men who used them. Now, unless his plan was successful, he would be finished as a cadet and the dream of being an officer in the Solar Guard would vanish forever.

The Tower building had been quiet for over an hour. Tom had not heard any voices or movement other than the evenly paced steps of the guards patrolling their lonely beats outside.

He slipped out of the antiquated ship, and staying well in the shadows, moved out into the corridor to the head of the slidestairs. He peered over the railing to the main floor below and saw Warrant Officer Mike McKenny through the open door of a small office, seated at his desk, watching an evening stereo program. The young cadet jumped on the stairs quickly and rode the moving belt of plastic to the upper floors where the officers’ quarters were located.

Tom was in great danger of discovery. No civilian was allowed on Academy grounds after taps. And he was still wearing the civilian clothes he had taken from the suitcase on the passenger ship from Mars. Silently but swiftly, he made his way from level to level toward the seventy-fifth floor.

He knew that there would be a guard stationed in the halls outside the officers’ apartments and it would be impossible to elude him. He would simply have to brazen it out.

At the seventy-fifth floor the young cadet stepped off the slidestairs noisily, his heels clicking on the dark crystal floor, and strode down the hall. He was immediately seen by the guard who advanced to meet him, his ray gun at the ready. Tom was prepared.

“Guard!” he yelled.

The guard stopped in front of him, a puzzled look on his face. “Yes?” he replied.

“Sir!” snapped Tom. “Show me where Captain Strong’s quarters are and be quick about it!”

“But who are--?” The guard started to protest, but Tom did not give him the chance to finish.

“Don’t stand there like an idiot, man! Move!

“Uhh--yes, sir,” stammered the guard, obviously taken aback.

“Lead the way,” continued Tom loudly. “I haven’t much time.”

“Yes, sir, but would you mind lowering your voice, sir? Some of the officers are asleep, sir.”

“Well, get on then and stop jabbering!”

The guard turned quickly and started down the hall. Tom followed, hardly able to keep from smiling at the man’s frustration and confusion.

They stopped at the door to Captain Strong’s quarters and the guard rapped softly.

“Yes?” came a muffled voice from inside.

“Someone to see you, sir,” called the guard.

“Just a moment.”

The guard stepped to one side and stood at rigid attention. When the door opened and Captain Strong was revealed, Tom brushed past the guard and stepped into the room, talking quickly.

“My name is Hinkleworth, Captain,” he announced. “I am here at the request of Commissioner Jessup to discuss the installation of new radar equipment on all Solar Guard rocket cruisers!”

Tom slammed the door closed behind him and turned to face the astonished Solar Guard officer.

“What in the star-blazing--?” Strong began angrily.

“It’s me, Captain Strong!” Tom said quickly, pulling his hat off and lowering his collar.

“Corbett!” gasped Strong, taking an involuntary step back, his face mirroring his disbelief.

“Sh!” whispered the boy, motioning to the door. Recovering his composure, Strong swept past him, opened the door, and found the guard still standing there at attention.

“All right, Corporal,” said Strong. “Resume your station.”

“Yes, sir,” replied the guard and walked down the hall. Strong watched him for a moment, then turned back into his room, closing and locking the door behind him. He faced the young cadet, who grinned back at him weakly.

“All right, spaceboy,” said Strong, flopping in the nearest chair. “Start at the beginning and give it to me. All of it!

Tom began his story with the incident of the runaway truck at Marsport, told of his abduction and escape from the two truckers, Cag and Monty, his efforts to reach Space Academy, and finally revealed the identity of the man he thought was responsible for the whole effort to stop the projectile operation.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close