Sabotage in Space - Cover

Sabotage in Space

Copyright© 2022 by Carey Rockwell

Chapter 19

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

Shouting angrily, Barret sat in one of the pilot’s chairs, flanked by Roger and Astro, while Connel and Tom stood in front of him firing questions.

“Barret,” said Connel, “I have enough evidence on you now to send you to a prison asteroid for ten years at least!”

“On what charge?” demanded the young man.

“Trying to kill an officer of the Solar Guard.”

“Where is your proof?” demanded Barret.

“Right there!” snorted Major Connel, pointing to the sleeping figure of Professor Hemmingwell.

“What do you mean?” demanded Barret.

“He’ll swear that you deliberately sent this ship into full drive while I was out on the hull checking the rings.”

“He can’t,” protested Barret. “He was on the bridge! He couldn’t have seen a thing!”

Tom shook his head gently. “Barret, after what you’ve done to his ship and the projectile operation,” he said, “Hemmingwell will swear to anything.”

“It’s a frame-up!” shouted Barret.

“And what do you think you did to us?” snarled Roger.

Barret flushed and turned away. “You can’t scare me,” he muttered. “Go ahead. Let him swear to whatever he wants.”

Connel stepped back grimly and turned to Astro and Roger. “All right, boys,” he said. “Take him below and see if you can’t get some different answers out of him.” The hardened spaceman turned his back and walked to the viewport.

“Why, you dirty space rat!” screamed Barret. “You wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh, wouldn’t he!” retorted Roger. “Listen, pal, he figures we owe you plenty for what you did to us, and he’s just giving us a chance to pay you back!” He faced Barret grimly. “Mister, you’re going to get the works! Come on, Astro!”

As the giant Venusian advanced on Barret, the man shrank back in his chair, eyes widening in sudden fear. When Astro stretched out his huge hand and grabbed him by the front of his jacket, he screamed in fright.

“All right, all right!” he cried out. “I’ll talk! Devers did it! He made me do it! He’s responsible for the whole thing!”

“Turn on that audiograph, Corbett!” shouted Connel.

Tom snapped on the machine and brought the microphone over to Barret, holding it in front of his trembling mouth.

“All right, talk!” Connel growled. “And tell it all.”

Barret had hardly uttered the first stumbling words when Roger let out a shout of alarm. “Hey! The scanner!” he cried.

They all turned to the teleceiver screen. To their horror, they saw a menacing shape blasting toward them. They recognized it instantly--a space torpedo!

Astro dove through the power-deck hatch while Roger raced for the radar-bridge ladder. Tom hurled himself into the copilot’s chair, and with Connel beside him in the command position, he waited for Astro to supply power. Suddenly the ship trembled violently and then shot forward as, far below, the jet exhausts screamed under the full thrust of all the atomic reactors. Tom rode the controls hard and kept his eye on the scanner screen.

“It’s a magnetic gyrofish!” he cried as he saw the torpedo curve after them. “Roger, can you plot her for me?”

“Working on it now, Tom!” yelled Roger over the intercom.

“How in blazes did that thing get out here?” muttered Connel.

“We’ll have to worry about that later, I’m afraid, sir,” replied Tom. “We’re going to have our hands full getting away from her. With that magnetic warhead, she’ll follow us all over space unless we can throw her off.”

“Which will take some doing!” grunted Connel, frowning in deep concern.

“Hey, Tom!” Roger’s voice called over the intercom. “It’s blasting on maximum thrust now. We have a pretty good chance. Use that idea we worked out. Make a series of left turns and always on the up-plane of the ecliptic!”

“Right!” said Tom, clutching the master manual-control lever and beginning to fly the giant ship through space by “feel.”

“What in blazes are you doing, Corbett?” shouted Connel in sudden alarm.

“Just hang on and watch, sir,” replied Tom, keeping his eyes on the scanner where he could see the space torpedo trailing them. Over and over, Tom kept slamming the ship into sharp left turns, while the torpedo followed in an ever-narrowing circle.

“All right, Tom!” yelled Roger again. “Give it the same thing on the right and the down-plane of the ecliptic!”

“Check!” answered Tom, reversing his controls and sending the ship corkscrewing through space on an opposite course.

Connel grabbed the arms of his chair and gasped, “You kids are space happy!”

“Those gyros are so perfect, sir,” said Tom, working the controls quickly and smoothly, “that the only way you can throw them off balance is to confuse them.”

“Confuse them!” exclaimed Connel.

“Yes, sir,” said Tom. “It’s a theory Roger and I worked out together. No gyro is perfect, and if you can get it bouncing back and forth in extreme turns, it will be thrown out of balance. Then all we have to do is make the torpedo miss once and it won’t come back.”

“Heaven help us all!” was Connel’s groaning reply.

“On the ball, Tom!” cried Roger. “She’s closing in on us!”

“I see her,” replied Tom calmly. “Hang on, everybody. I’m going to turn this ship inside out!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close