Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 1
Chapter 14: Phase Two of the Exams Begin

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

The Conjurer and I waged a massive campaign among the uninhabited moons of the outer territories. I say massive, but it was more like a skirmish when compared to the epic-scaled battles of the Dark Dragon Wars. Though it was glorious nonetheless. I brought everything the Lurranna family had to bear against the Conjurer, and he, in turn, assailed me with every Elemental worm under his command. It was much akin to a game of cat and mouse. However, the question still remained, who was the cat and who was the mouse?

An assistant proctor in a Fire Ministry uniform handed Ryan a green glowing metal disk with the insignia of the Ministry of Fire in the center, a sitting lion and a four-legged dragon.

“This armband will designate your team. Whatever color it glows will correspond to whatever army you’ve been assigned. After a few minutes, the armband will lead you to your team’s designated headquarters, then the game will begin.”

Despite the proctor’s explanation, the object looked nothing like an armband. Ryan looked at the device, then at the other candidates around him in the hopes that someone would demonstrate whatever was required next.

“You just place it on your arm,” explained the proctor, looking slightly annoyed before walking away to the next candidate.

Ryan hesitantly raised the disk to his right arm, and almost immediately, four metal tentacles sprang out to enwrap his arm until the disk was securely fastened in place just below his shoulder. Startled, Ryan jumped a little with surprise and may or may not have given out a slight shriek. Other kids nearby snickered and pointed.

“What are you snobs looking at?” muttered Ryan defensively.

“That would be your face, probably. Always good for a laugh,” said a familiarly irritating voice.

“Oh, great, it’s what-his-name,” Ryan said with a groan.

Even without turning, Ryan could just picture the sneer on the jerk’s smug face. “It’s Logan, half-breed. I would think you’d remember the name of the guy that kicked your sorry ass.”

Out stepped Mr. Obnoxious himself in full Elemental battle attire. It must have been true that the guy came from rich stock given the threads he flaunted as most First couldn’t afford high-grade gear yet. Explosion Logan strode up proudly to Ryan, his Psionic Armor glowing red and gold. He also sported a cape which Ryan thought made him look gaudy. Seriously, a teenager in a cape is not a heroic picture. It might work for more dignified Elementals like Eramar, but certainly not for this snot-nosed punk. Logan was flanked by his cronies who shoved other Firsts aside to make a path for their leader. As he walked through their ranks, displaying complete and utter arrogance, Ryan could hear several people whispering, ‘Explosion Logan.’

Seriously dudes, get a life! Where does a brat like him even find minions? Is there like an ad or something?

Remembering the rebuke Torsha had given him, Ryan restrained the instinct to punch Logan in the face and instead simply said, “Aren’t capes only reserved for Wielder Level Elementals?”

“A gift from my dad for future accomplishments. Not that someone like you would know anything about that.”

This guy has a bad habit of getting on my nerves. Not the most healthy decision.

Instead of rising to the obvious bait, Ryan pointed at Logan’s face and said, “Didn’t I punch you in the face already? If so, then you must not have made a very good impression.”

Logan’s face went a slight shade of red as he said through clenched teeth, “If I remember correctly, someone got their butt saved by their huge, psychotic Saurian buddy!”

Ryan snapped his fingers dramatically. “Oh, wait! You did make a good impression. Right into the ground!”

Punchline!

Logan gritted his teeth and leaned in close. Ryan could see sparks coming out of his fists. “You think you’re funny, half-breed? Think you’ll still be laughing after I blow out your stupid teeth from your stupid mouth?!”

“That would be a mistake,” interjected a voice as cold as ice. Éclair seemed to materialize out of nowhere, an ice dagger already in her hand as she brandished the weapon at Logan’s throat. “As you would have to deal with me first.”

“And me,” said a voice Ryan had not expected to hear.

Out of the shadows came Leon Lurranna to stand next to Éclair. Ryan heard gasps as dozens of candidates backed away from Leon in terror. Just seeing the looks on their faces was enough to make Ryan’s blood run cold. It was as if they had seen the devil himself. Ryan thought he heard some of them exclaim ‘Mystic born,’ but he wasn’t sure as many students had begun chattering in frightened tones with one another.

Man! Why can’t I be a badass like that?! Oh, crap! Leon probably heard that!

Much to Ryan’s dismay, shock and awe flickered across Éclair’s face briefly before she reigned her gaze back to Logan. As Logan’s henchmen rushed to their bully leader’s aid, Logan raised his hand as if to signal them to halt. With a growl of contempt, Logan leveled a hateful glare at both Éclair and then Leon.

“This has nothing to do with you Kaves, and it certainly has nothing to do with a Mystic lackey like you, Lurranna.”

“And you would know all about being a lackey, Explosion Logan,” said Leon with a grin.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Logan angrily.

“The son of a respected family and relative to a Wielder council member. That’s a lot of pressure to put on such a young man’s shoulders. Such a good little boy you’ve been, doing whatever daddy says since you first crawled out of the womb. Tell me, are you really so confident as you act, or is all your bullying just a put-on to compensate for your lack of balls?”

Now Logan was sweating as a look of alarm crossed his face.

Man! I hope the day never comes when Leon fixes that steely gaze on me! Oh, dang it! He probably heard that too!

Logan seemed to recover a little as he raised his hands towards Leon and Éclair. Tiny sparks of light started shooting from his fingertips.

Ryan knew what that meant. He instinctually rushed between Logan and Éclair as fast as he could, which was actually a lot faster than what he was used to. Eramar had commented that Ryan’s physical abilities had been increasing a little every day as his control over strength enhancement improved.

Even Logan seemed surprised as his hydrogen bombs came closer and closer to Ryan’s face. Ryan figured that a guy like Logan was pretty weak at close combat, so he decided to get as close as he could as he reached out to try and get ahold of Logan’s arms.

But before he could, Logan’s hydrogen bombs were extinguished by what looked like tiny bubbles. Even more incredible was the fact that Ryan found himself unable to move. After a few seconds of surprise, he realized that his arms and legs were being held back by large bubbles.

Logan was in a similar situation as he tried desperately to reach his arms around Ryan’s neck and strangle him, but to no avail. The bubbles dispersed and Ryan discovered the source of the curious form of Elemency to have been done by none other than a female proctor from the Fire Ministry.

“Break it up,” explained the proctor, seeming more warrior than teacher at the moment. “Fighting outside the arena is forbidden. Don’t think for one second that I won’t demote the lot of you back to Grunt.”

“It was their fault!” protested one of Logan’s minions. “These Squad 99 jerks just ganged up on us out of nowhere.”

“Maybe if Squad 25 was more disciplined,” said Éclair, her demeanor as cold as a blizzard. “We wouldn’t have to educate them in the proper conduct befitting a real Elemental.”

“That’s real funny coming from a pampered adopted Kaves brat like you,” growled Logan.

“And you wouldn’t know what it means to be pampered? No, you’re too busy ordering about your manservants on your family’s estate to give any thought to pampering?” replied Éclair.

“Silence!” yelled the proctor with so much force that it nearly knocked Ryan to the ground. “If I see any other candidate step out of line, I’ll send them back to the academy faster than they can say ‘demotion’.” The proctor glared at each candidate in turn just to make sure she got her point across. When she was satisfied, she went off to pass out more armbands to other candidates.

When he saw the proctor lose interest, Logan whispered under his breath threateningly, “You’re lucky that someone came to your rescue again, half-breed! But your luck will run out as soon as the games start. I’ll be looking for you and your little bodyguard here.” Logan nodded in Éclair’s direction as he finished speaking.

Ryan was just about to tell the guy off when Éclair nudged past him and pointed a finger at Logan’s chin. “Then you best hope you don’t find us. This arena may prevent fatal injury, but that only means that we can do whatever we want to you no matter how painful, and you won’t die. Always remember that the Grim Team takes care of their own.” Just to get her point across, Éclair took in a deep breath and blew some frost into Logan’s hair.

Logan’s face briefly turned as pale as the frost in his hair. The First quickly brushed off the frost from his hair angrily. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but thought better of it as he noticed the proctor glance their way. With a nod to his henchmen, Logan turned to leave with a huff. His cronies displayed all manner of obnoxious faces and rude gestures as they tried to look as menacing as possible.

Éclair stood her ground in front of Ryan as she watched Logan leave. It seemed as if she were waiting to see if the First would change his mind and attack.

With Éclair’s back to him, Ryan blushed in awe at her magnificence, and Leon nodded his approval while standing beside him. “Wow! Éclair’s so cool,” whispered Ryan without thinking. Realizing what he said, he nudged Leon playfully and said, “Did you see what I did there?”

“Yes,” said Leon with a frown.

“I said she’s ‘cool’ because she’s got the ice thing,” Ryan explained.

“Mm-hm,” replied Leon, seeming a little annoyed.

“It was pretty funny, huh?”

“Hilarious,” said Leon sardonically.

A little disappointed, Ryan persisted. “Are-are you sure you got the joke?”

“Yes, I’m sure.” His tone said otherwise.

“Enough chit-chat already,” called one of the assistant proctors. “Use your armbands to lead you to your team’s starting base.”

Ryan suddenly realized something crucial. “Éclair! Are you with the Green Team?!”

Éclair sighed a little, holding up her armband. It glowed with a blue light “Nope. Looks like I’m with the blue one.”

Ryan hoped that her sigh was one of disappointment, because he was inwardly churning in pain from heartache. Looking away in dejection, Ryan responded. “Th-that’s okay. Hey, maybe our armies will become allies or something. Since ... you know ... I wouldn’t stand a chance fighting you.”

“Well, you got that part bloody right,” she said with a giggle as she gave Ryan a playful punch on the shoulder.

“Not as dumb as you look,” said Leon with a smirk.

Ryan was actually able to smile genuinely at Leon for once. “Just remember that I’ll be looking for your ugly mug on the field. Mentor or not, you’re going down.”

Éclair raised an eyebrow, her lips drawn up in a frown as she glared warningly at Ryan, and then at Leon.

Raising his hands as if to appear innocent, Ryan explained, “What?! It’s a friendly fight this time! Friendly fight! We had a male bonding experience!”

Éclair sighed and looked away while tossing her long hair back in agitation. “Boys will be boys.”

Unexpectedly, Leon raised a hand towards Ryan. “I look forward to that friendly fight, Ryan Uruks.”

From the look on his face, Ryan could tell that he meant it. It was the first time Ryan had seen Leon give a display of genuine respect, almost as if he was acknowledging Ryan as an equal. Ryan took Leon’s hand and shook it slowly, his red eyes reflecting back at him from Leon’s black eyes.

“Hey, scale face,” called a familiar canine. Ryan looked behind to see Torsha waving a green armband amidst several dozen candidates shuffling to report to their starting positions. “Hurry up or you’ll miss the war!”

Ryan was relieved to see Torsha, but a little sad too. It was the first time in a long time that he, Éclair, and even Leon seemed to be sharing a tender moment, and it seemed to be ending all too quickly. For a kid that spent half his life on the unforgiving streets of Tarrus, such moments were far too fleeting.

“Well, I guess I’d better get going now ... to fight a fake war. You know what they say! ‘Unleash the dogs of war,’ and all that poetic junk that Graf hates.”

Éclair’s face drooped in dismay. “I kind of miss Grafael now. He usually becomes reclusive this time of year, but he seems even more depressed than ever before.”

“Hey, don’t worry. After we win this thing, we’ll go cheer Graf up with some root beer and he’ll be back to his ol’ wall-smashing self.”

Éclair smiled sweetly. It was almost the rare smile that happened once in a special moment with her. “You seem so sure that we’ll both pass. Well, even if we are technically competitors, I can still say good luck.”

“Yeah ... you too,” replied Ryan a little too late. He tried to not let concern seep into his voice. If he was perfectly honest with himself, he was probably more scared of these exams than Éclair was.

Éclair rubbed Ryan’s shoulder tenderly as her eyes bid him a final farewell. As she turned away, her gray, silver hair sparkling like a radiant waterfall, Leon gave Ryan a subtle nod of acknowledgement.

Ryan coughed uncomfortably as he addressed Leon. “Look, I know this is just an exam and all ... and no one’s supposed to die ... but could you-”

“I’ll take care of her,” said Leon suddenly, cutting Ryan off and answering his question at the same time.

“Thanks,” said Ryan, too relieved to be annoyed that Leon had interrupted him.

Leon nodded one last time before vanishing into the crowd ... literally. Somehow, Ryan had completely lost sight of him, but he was used to the whole ninja thing at this point. Ryan had learned a long time ago that pretty much every Elemental was kind of like a ninja - minus the long underwear.

Still, it’s kind of creepy that Leon’s finishing my sentences now. Either he’s reading my mind or we’re starting to think alike. Neither option is pleasant.


“I found the boy,” said Captain Humphrey into his communicator that had been implanted into his head.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close