Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 1 - Cover

Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 1

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

Chapter 25: Vota’Chuk

The plan, though prodigious, was also elegant in its simplicity. During a routine mission consulting and assisting the Conjurer, the Lurrannas would be deployed to handle a domestic disturbance set up by Chissler. However, unbeknownst to the authorities, our friends from the Eternal Coalition would be the ones perpetuating the disturbance. Chissler originally hired mercenaries for the deed, but the Desolate One’s forces had infiltrated the ranks of the contracted force. When we arrived on the scene to quell the violence, we would join up with the Desolate One’s forces and leave the Tarrus Empire with enough arms to level an entire star system. The Lurranna family’s glory would be restored. We would once again become a force to be reckoned with. But most of all, my family would be safe and no longer used as hostages to force me into submission. No one would ever subdue Lucius Lurranna ever again.

“The time has come, my young Elementals,” rang out Saria Kaves’ voice over Diagora Stadium. “Your third and final phase will be divided into two stages: the preliminary stage and the final stage. The preliminary stage will be a pass or fail exam that will be administered to each of you by one of your seniors. Each of your chosen mentors have designed a personal test for all of you. Depending on how well you do will determine whether you go on to the finals. Remember, there are more ways to show your merit than simply attaining victory in battle.”

As Saria’s voice echoed throughout the coliseum, Ryan felt an immense sense of awe and pride at his surroundings. The arena, which was more like a coliseum than a stadium, was one of the most impressive structures he had ever seen, which was saying a lot considering he had just stayed in a palace made of red crystals.

Diagora Stadium was little more than a massive stone circle with walls towering hundreds of feet high. But not only was the coliseum big, it was absolutely enormous. The circle of stone walls was so wide, that Ryan felt fairly certain that the diameter was at least a few miles long. The swirling pillars and countless arches lining the stone structure were made from smooth, white marble. Overlooking the monument was a tall, rectangular tower where Ryan knew the Fire Minister overlooked the contestants from her booth at the top. And filling the stadium was tens of thousands of spectators. Some were Elementals. Some were family to the candidates who had long retired from Elemental work. Some were Pure-Skins, like nobleman and senators that had paid to watch the exams. Ryan thought he even saw a few Light Monks within the stadiums. All throughout the arena were emblems of the Ministry of Fire emblazoned in magnificent red gemstones.

Seeing this grand venue filled Ryan to the brim with both fear and excitement.

I feel like a gladiator about to go into battle! So badass! Only difference is that I’m doing it willingly, and for free! Wait, that sounds wrong somehow?!

Hovering over the large tower was a giant, holographic image of Saria. The imaging system was so realistic that it looked like Saria had turned into a giant as she floated above the heads of the hundreds of contestants. The Fire Minister was imposing enough without being so massive, so Ryan felt more than a little uneasy to have her massive visage looking down on him.

After finishing her initial speech, the hologram of Saria stared over the crowd of contestants in silence for a few solemn moments. Then, Saria raised one hand dramatically and called out in a strong voice, “Let the battles, COMMENCE!”

The hologram of Saria suddenly vanished. Without warning, fire shot up from the ground in great walls of flame that surrounded Ryan. At first, Ryan thought something must have gone wrong and an explosion of some sort was racking the fields. But as he gazed around him, he realized that this was all a part of the test.

For some reason, Torsha had told Ryan that he and all the other contestants would have to stand at least ten feet from one another, and now he knew why. All across the arena, each contestant was being surrounded by a circle of flame that had no doubt come from the Minister’s power.

“Face your challenge head-on,” called out Saria’s voice. “No one can come to your aid this time. Prove your worth in order to advance.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Ryan saw something materializing in the center of the ring of fire that surrounded him. With a slight smirk of battle lust, Ryan drew his sword from the scabbard on his back and turned to face his opponent.

“Don’t have to tell me twice!” called out Ryan in a challenging voice.

As the figure came into focus, Ryan was shocked to find a very familiar face staring back at him.

“What?” asked Ryan in bewilderment. “You’re the one who’s testing me?”


Saria watched in quiet contemplation as the preliminaries transpired without much incident. If gazed at from above, the rings of fire encircling the candidates made an endless circuit of fire rings. Of course, most of the contestants were surprised by the flame rings, but they quickly adapted and readied themselves for whatever lay ahead. They had come a long way from the rookie recruits that once cowered at the sight of the exploding volcano from the orientation. Even through the flames, Saria clearly saw all the contestants, especially two in particular that were of special interest to the Minister and other parties.

Saria waited in her office as she observed the matches from a holographic projection showing multiple fights at the same time. Her office at Diagora Stadium was a mixture of metal desks and computers within an oval-shaped room of pure white marble. She wasn’t alone. Someone had made a special request to speak to Saria, and given the recent alterations in the roster, the Fire Minister had relented.

“If I may be so bold, my Lady Minister,” said Torsha, the young Werewolf that had been paired as Ryan Uruks’ mentor. “I do not approve of this last-minute change. I have been working with Ryan for weeks now. I should be the one to test him.”

Saria smiled slightly at the brazen attitude the young Monk was showing to one of the most powerful beings in the known universe. Youths these days are either fearless or foolish. Neither aspect promises a long life.

“Your concerns are duly noted. However, as this came as a personal request from a friend whom I owed a favor to, I could hardly refuse him. Besides, you are not the only one who has worked with Ryan Uruks. Under the circumstances, I don’t think I could’ve chosen a better opponent to test Ryan at this stage in his development.”


“Graf,” called out Ryan incredulously as he stared up at the imposing, eight-foot-tall figure of Grafael T’vacor in his silver and red armor wielding his giant hammer like some sort of dragon-god from legend.

“Yes, young Uruks. Take heed, for now you face me in all my unbridled fury,” replied Grafael in a slightly quieter voice than usual, but was no the less fierce for it. Ryan had never seen such a cold look in Grafael’s eyes as the Saurian Warrior stared daggers at him.

If Ryan were being honest with himself, he was more than a little nervous now. Ryan remembered the first time he had sparred with Grafael the great Wingless Dragon, and it did not end well for him. Although he considered Grafael a close ally afterwards, Ryan had always felt that he would probably have to fight the big lizard again someday. It was the only way to earn Grafael’s respect.

“Heh! Gotta say that I’m a little surprised that it’s you, but I’m also kinda psyched,” said Ryan, as he closed his eyes solemnly for a few moments. “Ever since you laid me out, I’ve been dying to have a rematch with you. I can think of no better way of earning my rank as a Second than to defeat you.”

“You are mistaken, little brother,” said Grafael, his eyes somehow sad, but determined at the same time. “Your journey as an Elemental ends today. I will not allow you to advance any further.”

“Uh? Say what?” Ryan asked, confused by Grafael’s vagaries as the Saurian usually talked straight.

“I will only say this once, so listen well. Forfeit this match, drop out of the exams and leave the Ministry of Fire while you still can.” Grafael did not blink or flinch as he spoke. He looked absolutely serious.

Remembering how Grafael sometimes got creative in testing him during their sparring sessions, Ryan raised his sword and leveled it boldly at his opponent. “Oh, I get it. This is my test, to see how much I’m committed to the Ministry. Well, you’re wasting your time Grafy, ‘cause I’m not backing down.”

Grafael growled slightly as his eyes narrowed into slits. “In that case, I will have to cripple you. I shall beat you to the point that you will never be able to raise a weapon again!”

Ryan was baffled at how serious Grafael looked when he said that. “Again, say what?”

Faster than Ryan could think, Grafael was on him. Luckily, Ryan’s reflexes were faster than before, and he managed to dodge out of the way just as Grafael brought his great hammer down. With a massive thud, the massive hammer shook the ground and split the earth. Ryan was certain that if that had connected with him, he would have probably been killed, or at least seriously disfigured.

As Ryan rolled out of Grafael’s reach, the Saurian spun around and whipped Ryan in the chest with his tail. Ryan barely had time to fully feel the sting of the blow before he was knocked back into the wall of fire with enough force to shatter every bone of the body of a normal human being. Even more surprising was the fact that the wall of flames was solid as Ryan’s back cracked against it like any other wall. Unlike other walls, this one burned anyone that touched it. Ryan had only a second to extinguish the flames that sprang up all over his body with his Fire Elemency. If he had waited any longer, he would have been roasted, even with his armor and scales. And he still got burned through his clothes from the point of impact with the wall being the most prominent pain, even more so than the blow Ryan took to the stomach from Grafael’s tail.


Torsha watched in horror as Ryan slammed into the wall of fire. If any other First had taken that hit, they would have been sent to Medical, or worse, to the morgue.

“Something’s wrong. Why is Grafael going so hard on him?” asked Torsha.

“Being of Saurian blood, Ryan’s body is tougher than most of the students here,” Saria explained calmly. “Therefore, the conditions of his physical test must be a bit more extreme.”

“And if he should die from these conditions?”

Saria smiled and looked down at the wolf girl with a kindly expression. “He won’t die, I can promise you that. But this is a lesson that he needs to learn. Perhaps it is a lesson that they both need to learn.”


As Ryan coughed up blood from the blow he took to the stomach, he looked up at Grafael in disbelief.

“Are you seriously trying to kill me, man?”

“Believe it or not, I’m trying to save your life,” said Grafael, his face showing nothing but conviction and grit.

Ryan growled, anger overcoming pain. “Save me or kill me, I don’t give a crap! All I know is that you’re standing in my way, and that’s enough reason to do this!”

Ryan stabbed his sword to the ground and from the point of impact erupted a wave of lava that rushed towards Grafael with lightning speed. Grafael was taken off-guard, but only for a moment as he jumped over the wall of magma that must have been at least twenty feet high. Though Grafael’s tail did get singed a bit. As the Saurian tried to put out the flames at the end of his tail, Ryan pressed his attack. Quickly jumping and slashing at Grafael’s head and then slashing at his feet, Ryan swiftly alternated between high and low attacks. When Grafael parried Ryan’s frontal assault, he quickly switched tactics and attacked from side to side, zigzagging back and forth from left to right. Ryan’s efforts paid off in forcing Grafael back a few steps.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close