Space Viking - Cover

Space Viking

Copyright© 2016 by H. Beam Piper

Chapter 13

Beowulf was bad.

Valkanhayn and Spasso had both been opposed to the raid. Nobody raided Beowulf; Beowulf was too tough. Beowulf had nuclear energy and nuclear weapons and contragravity and normal-space craft, they even had colonies on a couple of other planets of their system. They had everything but hyperdrive. Beowulf was a civilized planet, and you didn’t raid civilized planets, not and get away with it.

And beside, hadn’t they gotten enough loot on Amaterasu?

“No, we did not,” Trask told them. “If we’re going to make anything out of Tanith, we’re going to need power, and I don’t mean windmills and waterwheels. As you’ve remarked, Beowulf has nuclear energy. That’s where we get our plutonium and our power units.”

So they went to Beowulf. They came out of hyperspace eight light-hours from the F-7 star of which Beowulf was the fourth planet, and twenty light-minutes apart. Guatt Kirbey made a microjump that brought the ships within practical communicating distance, and they began making plans in an intership screen conference.

“There are, or were, three chief sources of fissionable ores,” Harkaman said. “The last ship to raid here and get away was Stefan Kintour’s Princess of Lyonesse, sixty years ago. He hit one on the Antarctic continent; according to his account, everything there was fairly new. He didn’t mess things up too badly, and it ought to be still operating. We’ll go in from the south pole, and we’ll have to go in fast.”

They shifted personnel and equipment. They would go in bunched, the pinnaces ahead; they and the Space Scourge would go down to the ground, while the better-armed Nemesis would hover above to fight off local contragravity, shoot down missiles, and generally provide overhead cover. Trask transferred to the Space Scourge, taking with him Morland and two hundred of the Nemesis ground-fighters. Most of the single-mounts, landing craft and manipulators and heavy-duty lifters went with him, jamming the decks around the vehicle ports of Valkanhayn’s ship.

They jumped in to six light-minutes, and while Valkanhayn’s astrogator was still fiddling with his controls they began sensing radar and microray detection. When they came out again, they were two light-seconds off the south pole, and half a dozen ships were either in orbit or coming up from the planet. All normal-space craft, of course, but some were almost as big as the Nemesis.

From there on, it was a nightmare.

Ships pounded at them with guns, and they pounded back. Missiles went out, and counter-missiles stopped them in rapidly expanding and quickly vanishing globes of light. Red lights flashed on the damage board, and sirens howled and klaxons squawked. In the outside-view screens, they saw the Nemesis vanish in a blaze of radiance, and then, while their hearts were still in their throats, come out of it again. Red lights went off on the board as damage-control crews and their robots sealed the breaches in the hull and pumped air back into evacuated areas, and then more red lights came on.

Occasionally, he would glance toward Boake Valkanhayn, who sat motionless in his chair, chewing a cigar that had gone out long ago. He wasn’t enjoying it, but he wasn’t showing fear. Once a Beowulfer vanished in a supernova flash, and when the ball of incandescence widened to nothing the ship was gone. All Valkanhayn said was: “Hope one of our boys did that.”

They fought their way in and down, toward the atmosphere. Another Beowulf ship blew up, a craft about the size of Spasso’s Lamia. A moment later, another; Valkanhayn was pounding the desk in front of him with his fist and yelling: “That was one of ours! Find out who launched it; get his name!”

Missiles were coming up from the planet, now. Valkanhayn’s detection officer was trying to locate the source. While he was trying, a big melon-shaped thing fell away from the Nemesis, and in the jiggling, radiation-distorted intership screen Harkaman’s image was laughing.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close