Space Viking - Cover

Space Viking

Copyright© 2016 by H. Beam Piper

Chapter 19

Prince Trask of Tanith and Prince Simon Bentrik were dining together on an upper terrace of what had originally been the mansion house of a Federation period plantation. It had been a number of other things since; now it was the municipal building of a town that had grown around it, which had, somehow, escaped undamaged from the Dunnan blitz. Normally about five or ten thousand, the place was now jammed with almost fifty thousand homeless refugees from half a dozen other towns that had been destroyed, overflowing the buildings and crowding into a sprawling camp of hastily built huts and shelters, and already permanent buildings were going up to accommodate them. Everybody, locals, Mardukans and Space Vikings, had been busy with the work of relief and reconstruction; this was the first meal the two commanders had been able to share in any leisure at all. Prince Bentrik’s enjoyment of it was somewhat impaired by the fact that from where he sat he could see, in the distance, the sphere of his disabled ship.

“I doubt we can get her off-planet again, let alone into hyperspace.”

“Well, we’ll get you and your crew to Marduk in the Nemesis, then.” They were both speaking loudly, above the clank and clatter of machinery below. “I hope you didn’t think I’d leave you stranded here.”

“I don’t know how either of us will be received. Space Vikings haven’t been exactly popular on Marduk, lately. They may thank you for bringing me back to stand trial,” Bentrik said bitterly. “Why, I’d have anybody shot who let his ship get caught as I did mine. Those two were down in atmosphere before I knew they’d come out of hyperspace.”

“I think they were down on the planet before your ship arrived.”

“Oh, that’s ridiculous, Prince Trask!” the Mardukan cried. “You can’t hide a ship on a planet. Not from the kind of instruments we have in the Royal Navy.”

“We have pretty fair detection ourselves,” Trask reminded him. “There’s one place where you can do it. At the bottom of an ocean, with a thousand or so feet of water over her. That’s where I was going to hide the Nemesis, if I got here ahead of Dunnan.”

Prince Bentrik’s fork stopped half way to his mouth. He lowered it slowly to his plate. That was a theory he’d like to accept, if he could.

“But the locals. They didn’t know about it.”

“They wouldn’t. They have no off-planet detection of their own. Come in directly over the ocean, out of the sun, and nobody’d see the ship.”

“Is that a regular Space Viking trick?”

“No. I invented it myself, on the way from Seshat. But if Dunnan wanted to ambush your ship, he’d have thought of it, too. It’s the only practical way to do it.”

Dunnan, or Nevil Ormm; he wished he knew, and was afraid he would go on wishing all his life.

Bentrik started to pick up his fork again, changed his mind, and sipped from his wineglass instead.

“You may find you’re quite welcome on Marduk, at that,” he said. “These raids have only been a serious problem in the last four years. I believe, as you do, that this enemy of yours is responsible for all of them. We have half the Royal Navy out now, patrolling our trade-planets. Even if he wasn’t aboard the Enterprise when you blew her up, you’ve put a name on him and can tell us a good deal about him.” He set down the wineglass. “Why, if it weren’t so utterly ridiculous, one might even think he was making war on Marduk.”

From Trask’s viewpoint, it wasn’t ridiculous at all. He merely mentioned that Andray Dunnan was psychotic and let it go at that.


The Victrix was not completely unrepairable, although quite beyond the resources at hand. A fully equipped engineer-ship from Marduk could patch her hull and replace her Dillinghams and her Abbot lift-and-drive engines and make her temporarily spaceworthy, until she could be gotten to a shipyard. They concentrated on repairing the Nemesis, and in another two weeks she was ready for the voyage.

The six hundred hour trip to Marduk passed pleasantly enough. The Mardukan officers were good company, and found their Space Viking opposite numbers equally so. The two crews had become used to working together on Audhumla, and mingled amicably off watch, interesting themselves in each other’s hobbies and listening avidly to tales of each other’s home planets. The Space Vikings were surprised and disappointed at the somewhat lower intellectual level of the Mardukans. They couldn’t understand that; Marduk was supposed to be a civilized planet, wasn’t it? The Mardukans were just as surprised, and inclined to be resentful, that the Space Vikings all acted and talked like officers. Hearing of it, Prince Bentrik was also puzzled. Fo’c’sle hands on a Mardukan ship belonged definitely to the lower orders.

“There’s still too much free land and free opportunity on the Sword-Worlds,” Trask explained. “Nobody does much bowing and scraping to the class above him; he’s too busy trying to shove himself up into it. And the men who ship out as Space Vikings are the least class-conscious of the lot. Think my men may have trouble on Marduk about that? They’ll all insist on doing their drinking in the swankiest places in town.”

“No. I don’t think so. Everybody will be so amazed that Space Vikings aren’t twelve feet tall, with three horns like a Zarathustra damnthing and a spiked tail like a Fafnir mantichore that they won’t even notice anything less. Might do some good, in the long run. Crown Prince Edvard will like your Space Vikings. He’s much opposed to class distinctions and caste prejudices. Says they have to be eliminated before we can make democracy really work.”

The Mardukans talked a lot about democracy. They thought well of it; their government was a representative democracy. It was also a hereditary monarchy, if that made any kind of sense. Trask’s efforts to explain the political and social structure of the Sword-Worlds met the same incomprehension from Bentrik.

“Why, it sounds like feudalism to me!”

“That’s right; that’s what it is. A king owes his position to the support of his great nobles; they owe theirs to their barons and landholding knights; they owe theirs to their people. There are limits beyond which none of them can go; after that, their vassals turn on them.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close