Space Viking - Cover

Space Viking

Copyright© 2016 by H. Beam Piper

Chapter 24

Attempting to conceal the presence on Tanith of Prince Bentrik’s wife and son was pushing caution beyond necessity. Admitted that the news would leak back to Marduk via Gilgamesh, it was over seven hundred light-years to the latter and almost a thousand from there to the former. Better that Princess Lucile should enjoy Rivington society, such as it was, and escape, for a moment now and then, from anxiety about her husband. At ten--no, almost twelve; it had been a year and a half since Trask had left Marduk--the boy Count of Ravary was more easily diverted. At last, he was among real Space Vikings, on a Space Viking planet, and he was trying to be everywhere and see everything at once. No doubt he would be imagining himself a Space Viking, returning to Marduk with a vast armada to rescue his father and the King from Zaspar Makann.

Trask was satisfied with that; as a host he left much to be desired. He had his worries, too, and all of them bore the same name: Prince Viktor of Xochitl. He went over with Manfred Ravallo everything the captain of the Black Star could tell him. He had talked once with Viktor; the lord of Xochitl had been coldly polite and noncommittal. His subordinates had been frankly hostile. There had been five ships on orbit or landed at Viktor’s spaceport beside the usual Gilgameshers and itinerant traders, two of them Viktor’s own, and a big armed freighter had come in from Haulteclere as the Black Star was leaving. There was considerable activity at the shipyards and around the spaceport, as though in preparation for something on a large scale.

Xochitl was a thousand light-years from Tanith. He rejected immediately the idea of launching a preventative attack; his ships might reach Xochitl to find it undefended, and then return to find Tanith devastated. Things like that had happened in space-war. The only thing to do was sit tight, defend Tanith when Viktor attacked, and then counterattack if he had any ships left by that time. Prince Viktor was probably reasoning in the same way.

He had no time to think about Andray Dunnan, except, now and then, to wish that Otto Harkaman would stop thinking about him and bring the Corisande home. He needed that ship on Tanith, and the wits and courage of her commander.

More news--Gilgamesh sources--came in from Xochitl. There were only two ships, both armed merchantmen, on the planet. Prince Viktor had spaced out with the rest an estimated two thousand hours before the story reached him. That was twice as long as it would take the Xochitl armada to reach Tanith. He hadn’t gone to Beowulf; that was only sixty-five hours from Tanith and they would have heard about it long ago. Or Amaterasu, or Khepera. How many ships he had was a question; not fewer than five, and possibly more. He could have slipped into the Tanith system and hidden his ships on one of the outer uninhabitable planets. He sent Valkanhayn and Ravallo microjumping their ships from one to another to check. They returned to report in the negative. At least, Viktor of Xochitl wasn’t camped inside their own system, waiting for them to leave Tanith open to attack.

But he was somewhere, and up to nothing even resembling good, and there was no possible way of guessing when his ships would be emerging on Tanith. The only thing to do was wait for him. When he did, Trask was confident that he would emerge from hyperspace into serious trouble. He had the Nemesis, the Space Scourge, the Black Star and Queen Flavia, the strongly rebuilt Lamia, and several independent Space Viking ships, among them the Damnthing of his friend Roger-fan-Morvill Esthersan, who had volunteered to stay and help in the defense. This, of course, was not pure altruism. If Viktor attacked and had his fleet blown to Em-See-Square, Xochitl would lie open and unprotected, and there was enough loot on Xochitl to cram everybody’s ships. Everybody’s ships who had ships when the Battle of Tanith was over, of course.

He was apologetic to Princess Bentrik:

“I’m very sorry you jumped out of Zaspar Makann’s frying pan into Prince Viktor’s fire,” he began.

She laughed at that. “I’ll take my chances on the fire. I seem to see a lot of good firemen around. If there is a battle you will see that Steven’s in a safe place, won’t you?”

“In a space attack, there are no safe places. I’ll keep him with me.”

The young Count of Ravary wanted to know which ship he would serve on when the attack came.

“Well, you won’t be on any ship, Count. You’ll be on my staff.”


Two days later, the Corisande came out of hyperspace. Harkaman was guardedly noncommittal by screen. Trask took a landing craft and went out to meet the ship.

“Marduk doesn’t like us, any more,” Harkaman told him. “They have ships on all their trade-planets, and they all have orders to fire on any, repeat any, Space Vikings, including the ships of the self-styled Prince of Tanith. I got this from Captain Garravay of the Vindex. After we were through talking, we fought a nice little ship-to-ship action for him to make films of. I don’t think anybody could see anything wrong with it.”

“This order came from Makann?”

“From the Admiral commanding. He isn’t your friend Shefter; Shefter retired on account of quote ill-health unquote. He is now in a quote hospital unquote.”

“Where’s Prince Bentrik?”

“Nobody knows. Charges of high treason were brought against him, and he just vanished. Gone underground, or secretly arrested and executed; take your choice.”

He wondered just what he’d tell Princess Lucile and Count Steven.

“They have ships on all the planets they trade with. Fourteen of them. That isn’t to catch Dunnan. That’s to disperse the Navy away from Marduk. They don’t trust the Navy. Is Prince Edvard still Prime Minister?”

“Yes, as of Garravay’s last information. It seems Makann is behaving in a scrupulously legal manner, outside of making his People’s Watchmen part of the armed forces. Protesting his devotion to the King every time he opens his mouth.”

“When will the fire be, I wonder?”

“Huh? Oh yes, you were reading up on Hitler. That I don’t know. Probably happened by now.”

He just told Princess Lucile that her husband had gone into hiding; he couldn’t be sure whether she was relieved or more worried. The boy was sure that he was doing something highly romantic and heroic.

Some of the volunteers tired of waiting, after another thousand hours, and spaced out. The Viking’s Gift of Beowulf came in with a cargo, and went on orbit after discharging it to join the watch. A Gilgamesher came in from Amaterasu and reported everything quiet there; as soon as her captain had sold his cargo, with a minimum of haggling, he spaced out again. His behavior convinced everybody that the attack would come in a matter of hours.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close