The Ghost Pirates - Cover

The Ghost Pirates

Copyright© 2016 by William Hope Hodgson

Chapter 15: The Great Ghost Ship

When we were called again, at a quarter to four, the man who roused us out, had some queer information.

“Toppin’s gone--clean vanished!” he told us, as we began to turn out. “I never was in such a damned, hair-raisin’ hooker as this here. It ain’t safe to go about the bloomin’ decks.”

“‘oo’s gone?” asked Plummer, sitting up suddenly and throwing his legs over his bunk-board.

“Toppin, one of the ‘prentices,” replied the man. “We’ve been huntin’ all over the bloomin’ show. We’re still at it--but we’ll never find him,” he ended, with a sort of gloomy assurance.

“Oh, I dunno,” said Quoin. “P’raps ‘e’s snoozin’ somewheres ‘bout.”

“Not him,” replied the man. “I tell you we’ve turned everythin’ upside down. He’s not aboard the bloomin’ ship.

“Where was he when they last saw him?” I asked.

“Someone must know something, you know!”

“Keepin’ time up on the poop,” he replied. “The Old Man’s nearly shook the life out of the Mate and the chap at the wheel. And they say they don’t know nothin’.”

“How do you mean?” I inquired. “How do you mean, nothing?”

“Well,” he answered. “The youngster was there one minute, and then the next thing they knew, he’d gone. They’ve both sworn black an’ blue that there wasn’t a whisper. He’s just disappeared off of the face of the bloomin’ earth.”

I got down on to my chest, and reached for my boots.

Before I could speak again, the man was saying something fresh.

“See here, mates,” he went on. “If things is goin’ on like this, I’d like to know where you an’ me’ll be befor’ long!”

“We’ll be in ‘ell,” said Plummer.

“I dunno as I like to think ‘bout it,” said Quoin.

“We’ll have to think about it!” replied the man. “We’ve got to think a bloomin’ lot about it. I’ve talked to our side, an’ they’re game.”

“Game for what?” I asked.

“To go an’ talk straight to the bloomin’ Capting,” he said, wagging his finger at me. “It’s make tracks for the nearest bloomin’ port, an’ don’t you make no bloomin’ mistake.”

I opened my mouth to tell him that the probability was we should not be able to make it, even if he could get the Old Man to see the matter from his point of view. Then I remembered that the chap had no idea of the things I had seen, and thought out; so, instead, I said:

“Supposing he won’t?”

“Then we’ll have to bloomin’ well make him,” he replied.

“And when you got there,” I said. “What then? You’d be jolly well locked up for mutiny.”

“I’d sooner be locked up,” he said. “It don’t kill you!”

There was a murmur of agreement from the others, and then a moment of silence, in which, I know, the men were thinking.

Jaskett’s voice broke into it.

“I never thought at first as she was ‘aunted--” he commenced; but Plummer cut in across his speech.

“We mustn’t ‘urt any one, yer know,” he said. “That’d mean ‘angin’, an’ they ain’t been er bad crowd.

“No,” assented everyone, including the chap who had come to call us.

“All the same,” he added. “It’s got to be up hellum, an’ shove her into the nearest bloomin’ port.”

“Yes,” said everyone, and then eight bells went, and we cleared out on deck.

Presently, after roll-call--in which there had come a queer, awkward little pause at Toppin’s name--Tammy came over to me. The rest of the men had gone forrard, and I guessed they were talking over mad plans for forcing the Skipper’s hand, and making him put into port--poor beggars!

I was leaning over the port rail, by the fore brace-lock, staring down into the sea, when Tammy came to me. For perhaps a minute he said nothing. When at last he spoke, it was to say that the shadow vessels had not been there since daylight.

“What?” I said, in some surprise. “How do you know?”

“I woke up when they were searching for Toppin,” he replied. “I’ve not been asleep since. I came here, right away.” He began to say something further; but stopped short.

“Yes,” I said encouragingly.

“I didn’t know--” he began, and broke off. He caught my arm. “Oh, Jessop!” he exclaimed. “What’s going to be the end of it all? Surely something can be done?”

I said nothing. I had a desperate feeling that there was very little we could do to help ourselves.

“Can’t we do something?” he asked, and shook my arm. “Anything’s better than this! We’re being murdered!”

Still, I said nothing; but stared moodily down into the water. I could plan nothing; though I would get mad, feverish fits of thinking.

“Do you hear?” he said. He was almost crying.

“Yes, Tammy,” I replied. “But I don’t know! I don’t know!”

“You don’t know!” he exclaimed. “You don’t know! Do you mean we’re just to give in, and be murdered, one after another?”

“We’ve done all we can,” I replied. “I don’t know what else we can do, unless we go below and lock ourselves in, every night.”

“That would be better than this,” he said. “There’ll be no one to go below, or anything else, soon!”

“But what if it came on to blow?” I asked. “We’d be having the sticks blown out of her.”

“What if it came on to blow now?” he returned. “No one would go aloft, if it were dark, you said, yourself! Besides, we could shorten her right down, first. I tell you, in a few days there won’t be a chap alive aboard this packet unless they jolly well do something!”

“Don’t shout,” I warned him. “You’ll have the Old Man hearing you.” But the young beggar was wound up, and would take no notice.

“I will shout,” he replied. “I want the Old Man to hear. I’ve a good mind to go up and tell him.”

He started on a fresh tack.

“Why don’t the men do something?” he began. “They ought to damn well make the Old Man put us into port! They ought--”

“For goodness sake, shut up, you little fool!” I said. “What’s the good of talking a lot of damned rot like that? You’ll be getting yourself into trouble.”

“I don’t care,” he replied. “I’m not going to be murdered!”

“Look here,” I said. “I told you before, that we shouldn’t be able to see the land, even if we made it.”

“You’ve no proof,” he answered. “It’s only your idea.”

“Well,” I replied. “Proof, or no proof, the Skipper would only pile her up, if he tried to make the land, with things as they are now.”

“Let him pile her up,” he answered. “Let him jolly well pile her up! That would be better than staying out here to be pulled overboard, or chucked down from aloft!”

“Look here, Tammy--” I began; but just then the Second Mate sung out for him, and he had to go. When he came back, I had started to walk to and from, across the fore side of the mainmast. He joined me, and after a minute, he started his wild talk again.

“Look here, Tammy,” I said, once more. “It’s no use your talking like you’ve been doing. Things are as they are, and it’s no one’s fault, and nobody can help it. If you want to talk sensibly, I’ll listen; if not, then go and gas to someone else.”

With that, I returned to the port side, and got up on the spar, again, intending to sit on the pinrail and have a bit of a talk with him. Before sitting down I glanced over, into the sea. The action had been almost mechanical; yet, after a few instants, I was in a state of the most intense excitement, and without withdrawing my gaze, I reached out and caught Tammy’s arm to attract his attention.

“My God!” I muttered. “Look!”

“What is it?” he asked, and bent over the rail, beside me. And this is what we saw: a little distance below the surface there lay a pale-coloured, slightly-domed disc. It seemed only a few feet down. Below it, we saw quite clearly, after a few moment’s staring, the shadow of a royal-yard, and, deeper, the gear and standing-rigging of a great mast. Far down among the shadows I thought, presently, that I could make out the immense, indefinite stretch of vast decks.

“My God!” whispered Tammy, and shut up. But presently, he gave out a short exclamation, as though an idea had come to him; and got down off the spar, and ran forrard on to the fo’cas’le head. He came running back, after a short look into the sea, to tell me that there was the truck of another great mast coming up there, a bit off the bow, to within a few feet of the surface of the sea.

In the meantime, you know, I had been staring like mad down through the water at the huge, shadowy mast just below me. I had traced out bit by bit, until now I could clearly see the jackstay, running along the top of the royal mast; and, you know, the royal itself was set.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close