Murder in the Gunroom - Cover

Murder in the Gunroom

Public Domain

Chapter 10

When Rand came down to breakfast the next morning, he found Gladys, Nelda, and a man whom he decided, by elimination, must be Anton Varcek, already at the table. The latter rose as Rand entered, and bowed jerkily as Gladys verified the guess with an introduction.

He was about Rand’s own age and height; he had a smooth-shaven, tight-mouthed face, adorned with bushy eyebrows, each of which was almost as heavy as Rand’s mustache. It was a face that seemed tantalizingly familiar, and Rand puzzled for a moment, then nodded mentally. Of course he had seen a face like that hundreds of times, in newsreels and news-photos, and, once in pre-war Berlin, its living double. Rudolf Hess. He wondered how much deeper the resemblance went, and tried not to let it prejudice him.

Nelda greeted him with a trowelful of sweetness and a dash of bedroom-bait. Gladys waved him to a vacant seat at her right and summoned the maid who had been serving breakfast. After Rand had indicated his preference of fruit and found out what else there was to eat, he inquired where the others were.

“Oh, Fred’s still dressing; he’ll be down in a minute,” Nelda told him. “And Geraldine won’t; she never eats with her breakfast.”

Varcek winced slightly at this, and shifted the subject by inquiring if Rand were a professional antiques-expert.

“No, I’m a lily-pure amateur,” Rand told him. “Or was until I took this job. I have a collection of my own, and I’m supposed to be something of an authority. My business is operating a private detective agency.”

“But you are here only as an arms-expert?” Varcek inquired. “You are not making any sort of detective investigation?”

“That’s right,” Rand assured him. “This is practically a paid vacation, for me. First time I ever handled anything like this; it’s a real pleasure to be working at something I really enjoy, for a change.”

Varcek nodded. “Yes, I can understand that. My own work, for instance. I would continue with my research even if I were independently wealthy and any sort of work were unnecessary.”

“Tell Colonel Rand what you’re working on now,” Nelda urged.

Varcek gave a small mirthless laugh. “Oh, Colonel Rand would be no more interested than I would be in his pistols,” he objected, then turned to Rand. “It is a series of experiments having to do with the chemical nature of life,” he said. Another perfunctory chuckle. “No, I am not trying to re-create Frankenstein’s monster. The fact is, I am working with fruit flies.”

“Something about heredity?” Rand wanted to know.

Varcek laughed again, with more amusement. “So! One says: ‘Fruit flies, ‘ and immediately another thinks: ‘Heredity.’ It is practically a standard response. Only, in this case, I am investigating the effect of diet changes. I use fruit flies because of their extreme adaptability. If I find that I am on the right track, I shall work with mice, next.”

“Fred Dunmore mentioned a packaged diabetic ration you’d developed,” Rand mentioned.

“Oh, yes.” Varcek shrugged. “Yes. Something like an Army field-ration, for diabetics to carry when traveling, or wherever proper food may be unobtainable. That is for the company; soon we put it on the market, and make lots of money. But this other, that is my own private work.”

Dunmore had come in while Varcek was speaking and had seated himself beside his wife.

“Don’t let him kid you, Colonel,” he said. “Anton’s just as keen about that dollar as the rest of us. I don’t know what he’s cooking up, up there in the attic, but I’ll give ten-to-one we’ll be selling it in twenty-five-cent packages inside a year, and selling plenty of them ... Oh, and speaking about that dollar; how did you make out with Gresham and his friends?”

“I didn’t. They’d expected to pay about twenty thousand for the collection; Rivers’s offer has them stopped. And even if they could go over twenty-five, I think Rivers would raise them. He’s afraid to let them get the collection; Pierre Jarrett and Karen Lawrence intended using their share of it to go into the old-arms business, in competition with him.”

“Uh-huh, that’s smart,” Dunmore approved. “It’s always better to take a small loss stopping competition than to let it get too big for you. You save a damn-sight bigger loss later.”

“How soon do you think the pistols will be sold?” Gladys asked.

“Oh, in about a month, at the outside,” Rand said, continuing to explain what had to be done first.

“Well, I’m glad of that,” Varcek commented. “I never liked those things, and after what happened ... The sooner they can be sold, the better.”

Breakfast finally ended, and Varcek and Dunmore left for the Premix plant. Rand debated for a moment the wisdom of speaking to Gladys about the missing pistols, then decided to wait until his suspicions were better verified. After a few minutes in the gunroom, going over Lane Fleming’s arms-books on the shelf over the workbench without finding any trace of the book in which he had catalogued his collection, he got his hat and coat, went down to the garage, and took out his car.

It had stopped raining for the time being; the dingy sky showed broken spots like bits of bluing on a badly-rusted piece of steel. As he got out of his car in front of Arnold Rivers’s red-brick house, he was wondering just how he was going to go about what he wanted to do. After all...

The door of the shop was unlocked, and opened with a slow clanging of the door-chime, but the interior was dark. All the shades had been pulled, and the lights were out. For a moment Rand stood in the doorway, adjusting his eyes to the darkness within and wondering where everybody was.

Then, in the path of light that fell inward from the open door, he saw two feet in tan shoes, toes up, at the end of tweed-trousered legs, on the floor. An instant later he stepped inside, pulled the door shut after him, and was using his pen-light to find the electric switch.

For a second or so after he snapped it nothing happened, and then the darkness was broken by the flickering of fluorescent tubes. When they finally lit, he saw the shape on the floor, arms outflung, the inverted rifle above it. For a seemingly long time he stood and stared at the grotesquely transfixed body of Arnold Rivers.

The dead man lay on his back, not three feet beyond the radius of the door, in a pool of blood that was almost dried and gave the room a sickly-sweet butchershop odor. Under the back of Rand’s hand, Rivers’s cheek was cold; his muscles had already begun to stiffen in rigor mortis. Rand examined the dead man’s wounds. His coat was stained with blood and gashed in several places; driven into his chest by a downward blow, the bayonet of a short German service Mauser pinned him to the floor like a specimen on a naturalist’s card. Beside the one in which the weapon remained, there were three stab-wounds in the chest, and the lower part of the face was disfigured by what looked like a butt-blow. Bending over, Rand could see the imprint of the Mauser butt-plate on Rivers’s jaw; on the butt-plate itself were traces of blood.

The rifle, a regulation German infantry weapon, the long-familiar Gewehr ‘98 in its most recent modification, was a Nazi product, bearing the eagle and encircled swastika of the Third Reich and the code-letters lza--the symbol of the Mauserwerke A.G. plant at Karlsruhe. It had doubtless been sold to Rivers by some returned soldier. In a rack beside the door were a number of other bolt-action military rifles--a Krag, a couple of Arisakas, a long German infantry rifle of the first World War, a Greek Mannlicher, a Mexican Mauser, a British short model Lee-Enfield. All had fixed bayonets; between the Lee-Enfield and one of the Arisakas there was a vacancy.

Rivers’s carved ivory cigarette-holder was lying beside the body, crushed at the end as though it had been stepped on. A half-smoked cigarette had been in it; it, too, was crushed. There was no evidence of any great struggle, however; the attack which had ended the arms-dealer’s life must have come as a complete surprise. He had probably been holding the cigarette-holder in his hand when the butt-blow had been delivered, and had dropped it and flung up his arms instinctively. Thereupon, his assailant had reversed his weapon and driven the bayonet into his chest. The first blow, no doubt, had been fatal--it could have been any of the three stabs in the chest--but the killer had given him two more, probably while he was on the floor. Then, grasping the rifle in both hands, he had stood over his victim and pinned the body to the floor. That last blow could have only been inspired by pure anger and hatred.

Yet, apparently, Rivers had been unaware of his visitor’s murderous intentions, even while the rifle was being taken from the rack. Rand strolled back through the shop, looking about. Someone had been here with Rivers for some time; the dealer and another man had sat by the fire, drinking and smoking. On the low table was a fifth of Haig & Haig, a siphon, two glasses, a glass bowl containing water that had evidently melted from ice-cubes, and an ashtray. In the ashtray were a number of River’s cigarette butts, all holder-crimped, and a quantity of ash, some of it cigar-ash. There was no cigar-butt, and no band or cellophane wrapper.

The fire on the hearth had burned out and the ashes were cold. They were not all wood-ashes; a considerable amount of paper--no, cardboard--had been burned there also. Poking gently with the point of a sword he took from a rack, Rand discovered that what had been burned had been a number of cards, about six inches by four, one of which had, somehow, managed to escape the flames with nothing more than a charred edge. Improvising tweezers from a pipe-cleaner, he picked this up and looked at it. It had been typewritten:

4850:

English Screw-Barrel F/L Pocket Pistol. Queen Anne type, side hammer with pan attached to barrel, steel barrel and frame. Marked: Wilson, Minories, London. Silver masque butt-cap, hallmarked for 1723. 4-1/2” barrel; 9-1/4” O.A.; cal. abt .44. Taken in trade, 3/21/’38, from V. Sparling, for Kentuck #2538, along with 4851, 4852, 4853. App. cost, RLss; Replacement, do. NLss, OSss, LSss.

To this had been added, in pen:

Sold, R. Kingsley, St. Louis, Mo., Mail order, 12/20/’42, OSss.

Rand laid the card on the cocktail-table, along with the drinking equipment. At least, he knew what had gone into the fire: Arnold Rivers’s card-index purchase and sales record. He doubted very strongly if that would have been burned while its owner was still alive. Going over to the desk, he checked; the drawer from which he had seen Cecil Gillis get the card for the Leech & Rigdon had been cleaned out.

Picking up the phone in an awkward, unnatural manner, he used a pencil from his pocket to dial a number with which he was familiar, a number that meant the same thing on any telephone exchange in the state.

“State Police, Corporal Kavaalen,” a voice singsonged out of the receiver.

“My name is Rand,” he identified himself. “I am calling from Arnold Rivers’s antique-arms shop on Route 19, about a mile and a half east of Rosemont. I am reporting a homicide.”

“Yeah, go ahead--Hey! Did you say homicide?” the other voice asked sharply. “Who?”

“Rivers himself. I called at his shop a few minutes ago, found the front door open, and walked in. I found Rivers lying dead on the floor, just inside the door. He had been killed with a Mauser rifle--not shot; clubbed with the butt, and bayoneted. The body is cold, beginning to stiffen; a pool of blood on the floor is almost completely dried.”

“That’s a good report, mister,” the corporal approved. “You stick around; we’ll be right along. You haven’t touched anything, have you?”

“Not around the body. How long will it take you to get here?”

“About ten minutes. I’ll tell Sergeant McKenna right away.”

Rand hung up and glanced at his watch. Ten twenty-two; he gave himself seven minutes and went around the room rapidly, looking only at pistols. He saw nothing that might have come from the Fleming collection. Finally, he opened the front door, just as a white State Police car was pulling up at the end of the walk.

Sergeant Ignatius Loyola McKenna--customarily known and addressed as Mick--piled out almost before it had stopped. The driver, a stocky, blue-eyed Finn with a corporal’s chevrons, followed him, and two privates got out from behind, dragging after them a box about the size and shape of an Army footlocker. McKenna was halfway up the drive before he recognized Rand. Then he stopped short.

“Well, Jaysus-me-beads!” He turned suddenly to the corporal. “My God, Aarvo; you said his name was Grant!”

“That’s what I thought he said.” Rand recognized the singsong accent he had heard on the phone. “You know him?”

“Know him?” McKenna stepped aside quickly, to avoid being overrun by the two privates with the equipment-box. He sighed resignedly. “Aarvo, this is the notorious Jefferson Davis Rand. Tri-State Agency, in New Belfast.” He gestured toward the Finn. “Corporal Aarvo Kavaalen,” he introduced. “And Privates Skinner and Jameson ... Well, where is it?”

“Right inside.” Rand stepped backward, gesturing them in. “Careful; it’s just inside the doorway.”

McKenna and the corporal entered; the two privates set down their box outside and followed. They all drew up in a semicircle around the late Arnold Rivers and looked at him critically.

“Jesus!” Kavaalen pronounced the J-sound as though it were Zh; he gave all his syllables an equally-accented intonation. “Say, somebody gave him a good job!”

“Somebody’s been seeing too many war-movies.” McKenna got a cigarette out of his tunic pocket and lit it in Rand’s pipe-bowl. “Want to confess now, or do you insist on a third degree with all the trimmings?”

Kavaalen looked wide-eyed at Rand, then at McKenna, and then back at Rand. Rand laughed.

“Now, Mick!” he reproved. “You know I never kill anybody unless I have a clear case of self-defense, and a flock of witnesses to back it up.”

McKenna nodded and reassured his corporal. “That’s right, Aarvo; when Jeff Rand kills anybody, it’s always self-defense. And he doesn’t generally make messes like this.” He gave the body a brief scrutiny, then turned to Rand. “You looked around, of course; what do you make of it?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close