Empire - Cover

Empire

Public Domain

Chapter 10

“One of us will have to watch all the time,” Greg told Russ. “We can’t take any chances. Stutsman will try to reach us sooner or later and we have to be ready for him.”

He glanced at the new radar screen they had set up that morning beside the bank of other controls. Any ship coming within a hundred miles of the laboratory would be detected instantly and pinpointed.

The board flashed now. In the screen they saw a huge passenger ship spearing down toward the airport south of them.

“With the port that close,” said Russ, “we’ll get a lot of signals.”

“I ordered the Belgium factory to rush work on the ship,” said Greg. “But it will be a couple of weeks yet. We just have to sit tight and wait. As soon as we have the ship we’ll start in on Chambers; but until we get the ship, we just have to dig in and stay on the defensive.”

He studied the scene in the screen. The ship had leveled off, was banking in to the port. His eyes turned away, took in the laboratory with its crowding mass of machinery.

“We don’t want to fool ourselves about Chambers,” he said. “He may not have the power here on Earth that he does on the other planets, but he’s got plenty. Feeling the way he does, he’ll try to finish us off in a hurry now.”

Russ reached out to the table that stood beside the bank of controls and picked up a small, complicated mechanism. Its face bore nine dials, with the needles on three of them apparently registering, the other six motionless.

“What is that?” asked Greg.

“A mechanical detective,” said Russ. “A sort of mechanical shadow. While you were busy with the stock market stunt, I made several of them. One for Wilson and another for Chambers and still another for Craven.” He hoisted and lowered the one in his hand. “This one is for Stutsman.”

“A shadow?” asked Greg. “Do you mean that thing will trail Stutsman?”

“Not only trail him,” said Russ. “It will find him, wherever he may be. Some object every person wears or carries is made of iron or some other magnetic metal. This ‘shadow’ contains a tiny bit of that ridiculous military decoration that Stutsman never allows far away from him. Find that decoration and you find Stutsman. In another one I have a chunk of Wilson’s belt buckle, that college buckle, you know, that he’s so proud of. Chambers has a ring made of a piece of meteoric iron and that’s the bait for another machine. Have a tiny piece off Craven’s spectacles in his machine. It was easy to get the stuff. The force field enables a man to reach out and take anything he wants to, from a massive machine to a microscopic bit of matter. It was a cinch to get the stuff I needed.”

Russ chuckled and put the machine back on the table. He gestured toward it.

“It maintains a tiny field similar to our television field,” he explained. “But it’s modified along a special derivation with a magnetic result. It can follow and find the original mass of any metallic substance it may contain.”

“Clever,” commented Greg.

Russ lit his pipe, puffed comfortably. “We needed something like that.”

The red light on the board snapped on and blinked. Russ reached out and slammed home the lever, twirled dials. It was only another passenger ship. They relaxed, but not too much.


“I wonder what he’s up to,” said Russ.

Stutsman’s car had stopped in the dock section of New York. Crumbling, rotting piers and old tumbledown warehouses, deserted and unused since the last ship sailed the ocean before giving way to air commerce, loomed darkly, like grim ghosts, in the darkness.

Stutsman had gotten out of the car and said: “Wait here.”

“Yes, sir,” said the voice of the driver.

Stutsman strode away, down a dark street. The televisor kept pace with him and on the screen he could be seen as a darker shape moving among the shadows of that old, almost forgotten section of the Solar System’s greatest city.

Another shadow detached itself from the darkness of the street, shuffled toward Stutsman.

“Sir,” said a whining voice, “I haven’t eaten...”

There was a swift movement as Stutsman’s stick lashed out, a thud as it connected with the second shadow’s head. The shadow crumpled on the pavement. Stutsman strode on.

Greg sucked in his breath. “He isn’t very sociable tonight.”

Stutsman ducked into an alley where even deeper darkness lay. Russ, with a delicate adjustment, slid the televisor along, closer to Stutsman, determined not to lose sight of him for an instant.

The man suddenly turned into a doorway so black that nothing could be seen. Sounds of sharp, impatient rappings came out of the screen as Stutsman struck the door with his stick.

Brilliant illumination sprang out over the doorway, but Stutsman seemed not to see it, went on knocking. The colors on the screen were peculiarly distorted.

“Ultra-violet,” grunted Greg. “Whoever he’s calling on wants to have a good look before letting anybody in.”

The door creaked open and a shaft of normal light spewed out into the street, turning its murkiness to pallid yellow.

Stutsman stepped inside.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close