Empire - Cover

Empire

Public Domain

Chapter 15

John Moore Mallory sat on the single metal chair within his cell and pressed his face against the tiny vision port. For hours he had sat there, staring out into the blackness of space.

There was bitterness in John Moore Mallory’s soul, a terrible and futile bitterness. So long as he had remained within the Ranthoor prison, there had always been a chance of escape. But now, aboard the penal ship, there was no hope. Nothing but the taunting reaches of space, the mocking pinpoints of the stars, the hooting laughter of the engines.

Sometimes he had thought he would go mad. The everlasting routine, the meaningless march of hours. The work period, the sleep period ... the work period, the sleep period ... endless monotony, an existence without a purpose. Men buried alive in space.

“John Moore Mallory,” said a voice.

Mallory heard, but he did not stir. An awful thought crossed his mind. Now he was hearing voices calling his name!

“John Mallory,” said the voice again.

Mallory slowly turned about and as he turned he started from his chair.

A man stood in the cell! A man he had never seen before, who had come silently, for there had been no screech of opening door.

“You are John Moore Mallory, aren’t you?” asked the man.

“Yes, I am Mallory. Who are you?”

“Gregory Manning.”

“Gregory Manning,” said Mallory wonderingly. “I’ve heard of you. You’re the man who rescued the Pluto Expedition. But why are you here? How did you get in?”

“I came to take you away with me,” said Greg. “Back to Callisto. Back to any place you want to go.”

Mallory flattened himself against the partition, his face white with disbelief. “But I’m in a prison ship. I’m not free to go and come as I please.”

Greg chuckled. “You are free to go and come as you please from now on,” he said. “Even prison ships can’t hold you.”

“You’re mad,” whispered Mallory. “Either you’re mad or I am. You’re a dream. I’ll wake up and find you gone.”

Manning stood in silence, looking at the man. Mallory bore the marks of prison on him. His eyes were haunted and his rugged face was pinched and thin.

“Listen closely, Mallory,” said Greg softly. “You aren’t going mad and I’m not mad. You aren’t seeing things. You aren’t hearing things. You’re actually talking to me.”


There was no change in the other’s face.

“Mallory,” Greg went on, “I have what you’ve always needed--means of generating almost unlimited energy at almost no cost, the secret of the energy of matter. A secret that will smash Interplanetary, that will free the Solar System from Spencer Chambers. But I can’t make that secret available to the people until Chambers is crushed, until I’m sure that he can’t take it from me. And to do that I need your help.”

Mallory’s face lost its expression of bewilderment, suddenly lighted with realization. But his voice was harsh and bitter.

“You came too late. I can’t help you. Remember, I’m in a prison ship from which no one can escape. You have to do what you can ... you must do what you can. But I can’t be with you.”

Manning strode forward. “You don’t get the idea at all. I said I’d get you out of here and I’m going to. I could pick up this ship and put it wherever I wanted. But I don’t want to. I just want you.”

Mallory stared at him.

“Just don’t be startled,” said Greg. “Something will happen soon. Get ready for it.”

Feet drummed on the metal corridor outside.

“Hey, you, pipe down!” yelled the voice of the guard. “You know there’s no talking allowed now. Go to sleep.”

“That’s the guard,” Mallory whispered fiercely. “They’ll stop us.”

Greg grinned viciously. “No, they won’t.”


The guard came into view through the grilled door.

“So it’s you, Mallory...” he began, stopping in amazement. “Hey, you!” he shouted at Greg. “Who are you? How did you get in that cell?”

Greg flipped a hand in greeting. “Pleasant evening, isn’t it?”

The guard grabbed for the door, but he did not reach the bars. Some force stopped him six inches away. It could not be seen, could not be felt, but his straining against it accomplished nothing.

“Mallory and I are leaving,” Greg told the guard. “We don’t like it here. Too stuffy.”

The guard lifted a whistle and blew a blast. Feet pounded outside. A prisoner yelled from one of the cells. Another catcalled. Instantly the ship was in an uproar. The convicts took up the yammering, shaking the bars on their doors.

“Let’s get started,” Greg said to Mallory. “Hold tight.”

Blackness engulfed Mallory. He felt a peculiar twisting wrench. And then he was standing in the control room of a ship and Gregory Manning and another man were smiling at him. White light poured down from a cluster of globes. Somewhere in the ship engines purred with the hum of power. The air was fresh and pure, making him realize how foul and stale the air of the prison ship had been.

Greg held out his hand. “Welcome to our ship.”

Mallory gripped his hand, blinking in the light. “Where am I?”

“You are on the Invincible, five million miles off Callisto.”

“But were you here all the time?” asked Mallory. “Were you in my cell back there or weren’t you?”

“I was really in your cell,” Greg assured him. “I could have just thrown my image there, but I went there personally to get you. Russ Page, here, sent me out. When I gave him the signal, he brought both of us back.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close