The Dueling Machine - Cover

The Dueling Machine

Public Domain

Chapter 6

The space station orbiting around Acquatainia--the capital planet of the Acquataine Cluster--served simultaneously as a transfer point from starships to planetships, a tourist resort, meteorological station, communications center, scientific laboratory, astronomical observatory, medical haven for allergy and cardiac patients, and military base. It was, in reality, a good-sized city with its own markets, its own local government, and its own way of life.

Dr. Leoh had just stepped off the debarking ramp of the starship from Szarno. The trip there had been pointless and fruitless. But he had gone anyway, in the slim hope that he might find something wrong with the dueling machine that had been used to murder a man.

A shudder went through him as he edged along the automated customs scanners and paper-checkers. What kind of people could these men of Kerak be? To actually kill a human being in cold blood; to plot and plan the death of a fellow man. Worse than barbaric. Savage.

He felt tired as he left customs and took the slideway to the planetary shuttle ships. Halfway there, he decided to check at the communications desk for messages. That Star Watch officer that Sir Harold had promised him a week ago should have arrived by now.

The communications desk consisted of a small booth that contained the output printer of a communications computer and an attractive young dark-haired girl. Automation or not, Leoh thought smilingly, there were certain human values that transcended mere efficiency.

A lanky, thin-faced youth was half-leaning on the booth’s counter, trying to talk to the girl. He had curly blond hair and crystal blue eyes; his clothes consisted of an ill-fitting pair of slacks and tunic. A small traveler’s kit rested on the floor at his feet.

“So, I was sort of, well, thinking ... maybe somebody might, uh, show me around ... a little,” he was stammering to the girl. “I’ve never been, uh, here...”

“It’s the most beautiful planet in the galaxy,” the girl was saying. “Its cities are the finest.”

“Yes ... well, I was sort of thinking ... that is, I know we just, uh, met a few minutes ago ... but, well, maybe ... if you have a free day or so coming up ... maybe we could, uh, sort of--”.

She smiled coolly. “I have two days off at the end of the week, but I’ll be staying here at the station. There’s so much to see and do here, I very seldom leave.”

“Oh--”

“You’re making a mistake,” Leoh interjected dogmatically, “If you have such a beautiful planet for your homeworld, why in the name of the gods of intellect don’t you go down there and enjoy it? I’ll wager you haven’t been out in the natural beauty and fine cities you spoke of since you started working here on the station.”

“Why, you’re right,” she said, surprised.

“You see? You youngsters are all alike. You never think further than the ends of your noses. You should return to the planet, young lady, and see the sunshine again. Why don’t you visit the University at the capital city? Plenty of open space and greenery, lots of sunshine and available young men!”

Leoh was grinning broadly, and the girl smiled back at him. “Perhaps I will,” she said.

“Ask for me when you get to the University. I’m Dr. Leoh. I’ll see to it that you’re introduced to some of the girls and gentlemen of your own age.”

“Why ... thank you, doctor. I’ll do it this week end.”

“Good. Now then, any messages for me? Anyone aboard the station looking for me?”

The girl turned and tapped a few keys on the computer’s console. A row of lights flicked briefly across the console’s face. She turned back to Leoh:

“No, sir, I’m sorry. No message and no one has asked for you.”

“Hm-m-m. That’s strange. Well, thank you ... and I’ll expect to see you at the end of this week.”

The girl smiled a farewell. Leoh started to walk away from the booth, back toward the slideway. The young man took a step toward him, stumbled on his own traveling kit, and staggered across the floor for a half-dozen steps before regaining his balance. Leoh turned and saw that the youth’s face bore a somewhat ridiculous expression of mixed indecision and curiosity.

“Can I help you?” Leoh asked, stopping at the edge of the moving slideway.

“How ... how did you do that, sir?”

“Do what?”

“Get that girl to agree to visit the university. I’ve been talking to her for half an hour, and, well, she wouldn’t even look straight at me.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close