The Dueling Machine - Cover

The Dueling Machine

Public Domain

Chapter 15

The office was that of the new prime minister of the Acquataine Cluster. It had been loaned to Leoh for his conversation with Sir Harold Spencer. For the moment, it seemed like a great double room: half of it was dark, warm woods, rich draperies, floor-to-ceiling bookcases. The other half, from the tri-di screen onward, was the austere, metallic utility of a starship compartment.

Spencer was saying, “So this hired assassin, after killing four men and nearly wrecking a government, has returned to his native worlds.”

Leoh nodded. “He returned under guard. I suppose he is in disgrace, or perhaps even under arrest.”

“Servants of a dictator never know when they will be the ones who are served--on a platter.” Spencer chuckled. “And the Watchman who assisted you, this Junior Lieutenant Hector, what of him?”

“He’s not here just now. The Dulaq girl has him in tow, somewhere. Evidently it’s the first time he’s been a hero--”

Spencer shifted his weight in his chair. “I have long prided myself on the conviction that any Star Watch officer can handle almost any kind of emergency anywhere in the galaxy. From your description of the past few weeks, I was beginning to have my doubts. However, Junior Lieutenant Hector seems to have won the day ... almost in spite of himself.”

“Don’t underestimate him,” Leoh said, smiling. “He turned out to be an extremely valuable man. I think he will make a fine officer.”

Spencer grunted an affirmative.

“Well,” Leoh said, “that’s the complete story, to date. I believe that Odal is finished. But the Kerak Worlds have made good their annexation of the Szarno Confederacy, and the Acquataine Cluster is still very wobbly, politically. We haven’t heard the last of Kanus--not by a long shot.”

Spencer lifted a shaggy eyebrow. “Neither,” he rumbled, “has he heard the last from us.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close