Vagabonds of Space - Cover

Vagabonds of Space

Public Domain

Chapter 7: Rapaju

Detis was setting up and adjusting the complicated mechanisms of his little black case. A dozen vacuum tubes lighted, and a murmur of throbbing energy came from a helix of shining metallic ribbon that topped the whole. Flexible cables led to a cap-like contrivance which Detis placed on his head. He frowned in concentration.

“The psycho-ray apparatus.” Ora explained. “He’s sending a message to the city.”

Evidently the influence of the ray was directive. They had no inkling of the thoughts transmitted from the alert brain of the scientist but, from the look of satisfaction on his face, they could see that he was obtaining the desired contact.

“Rapaju,” he exclaimed, switching off the power of his instrument, “commander of the fleet of the Llotta. I have advised him of our arrival. Told him that a Martian and a Terrestrial wish to treat with him concerning the proposed invasion of their planets. His answering thought first was of fiercest rage, then conciliatory in nature. He’ll receive you and listen to your arguments, though he promises nothing. Is that satisfactory?”

“Yes.” Carr and Mado were agreed. At least it would give them a chance to look over the ground and to make plans, should any occur to them.

The Nomad circled over the heart of the city and soon Mado saw a suitable landing space. They settled gracefully in an open area close by the building indicated by Detis as that of the administration officials of the city.


A group of squat, sullen Llotta awaited them and, without speaking a word either of hatred or welcome, led them into the forbidding entrance of the building. Close-set, beady eyes; unbelievably flat features of chalky whiteness; chunky bowed legs, bare and hairy; long arms with huge dangling paws--these were the outstanding characteristics of the Llotta. Mado stared straight before him, refusing to display any great interest in the loathsome creatures, but Carr was frankly curious and as frankly disapproving.

Rapaju leered maliciously when the four voyagers stood before him. He looked the incarnation of all that was evil and vile, a monster among monsters. Sensing him to be the more aggressive of the two visitors from doomed planets, he addressed his remarks to Carr.

“You come to plead with Rapaju,” he sneered, his Cos tinged with an outlandish accent, “to beg for the worthless lives of your compatriots; for the wealth of your cities?”

“We come to reason with you,” replied Carr haughtily, “if you are capable of reasoning. What is this incredible thing you are planning?”

Mado gasped at the effrontery of his friend. But Carr was oblivious of the warning looks cast in his direction.

“Enough of that!” snapped Rapaju. “I’ll do the talking--you the reasoning. I’ve a proposition to make to you, and if you know what’s best, you’ll agree. Otherwise you’ll be first of the Terrestrials to die. Is that clear?”

“Clear enough, all right,” growled Carr. “What do you mean--a proposition?”

“Ha! I thought you’d listen. My offer is the lives of you and your companion in exchange for your assistance in guiding my fleet to the capital cities of your countries. Not that our plans will be changed if you refuse, but that much time will be saved in this manner and quick victory made certain without undue sacrifice of valuable property.”

“You--you--!” Carr stammered in anger. But there was no use in raising a rumpus--now. They’d only kill him. Something might be accomplished if he pretended to accede. “Go on with your story,” he finished lamely.

“In addition to sparing your lives I’ll place you both in high position after we seize your respective planets. Make you chief officers in the prison lands we intend to establish for your countrymen. What do you say?”

“Will you give us time to talk it over and think about it?”

“Until the hour of departure, if you wish.”


Carr bowed, avoiding Mado’s questioning eyes. He looked at Ora where she stood at the side of Detis. She flashed him a guarded smile. He knew that she understood.

Rapaju relaxed. He was confident he could bribe these puerile foreigners to help him in the great venture. And sadly he needed such help. The Llotta were not navigators. Their knowledge of the heavens was sadly incomplete. They had no maps of the surfaces of the planets to be visited. Their simultaneous blows would be far more effective and the campaign much shorter if they could choose the most vital centers for the initial attacks.

“Now,” he said, “that we understand one another, let us talk further of the plans. Then you will be able to consider carefully before making your decision.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close