Vagabonds of Space - Cover

Vagabonds of Space

Public Domain

Chapter 10: Vagabonds All

Together they cared for Detis and Mado; made them comfortable in their bunks until the time when the effects of the gas would wear off. Lucky it was that Rapaju had used the gas pistol rather than the ray. Perhaps it had been a mistake. Or perhaps he had needed the scientific knowledge of Detis, the familiarity with the inner planets that was Mado’s. At any rate, they had no delusions regarding his designs on Ora or his hatred of Carr. By his own passions had the commander of the fleet been led to the error that cost him his life and made possible the destruction of his fleet.

Carr was torn by conflicting emotions. The delectable little Europan was most disturbing. He’d never had much use for the other sex--on Earth. Too dominating, most of them. And always thrown at his head by designing parents for his money. But Ora was different! Her very nearness set his pulses racing. And he knew that she cared for him as he did for her. Those moments in the control cabin after the explosion! But something had come over him since he cut loose from the old life. Wanderlust--that was it. He’d never go back. Neither would he be content to settle down to a domestic life in Pala-dar. Wanted to be up and going somewhere.

“Oh, Carr, Carr!” Ora’s voice called to him. “Mado is awake. He wants you.”

Good old Mado! Why couldn’t they just continue on their way as they had started out? Roaming the universe in search of other adventures! But the silvery tinkle of Ora’s laughter reached his ears. She was irresistible! He forgot his doubts as he hurried to his friend’s cabin.


Mado was staring at the Europan maiden with a ludicrous expression of astonishment--gawping, Carr called it. And Ora was laughing at him.

“Your friend,” she gurgled, “doesn’t believe he’s alive, or that I am, or you. Tell him we are.”

Carr grinned. Mado did look funny at that. “Hello, old sock,” he said, “had a bad dream?”

“Did I? Oh boy!” Mado rocked to and fro, his head in his hands. Then he displayed sudden intense interest. “Rapaju?” he asked. “His guards--the fleet--what’s happened?”

“Ah ha! Now you know you’re alive!” Carr laughed. “But the others are dead and gone. The fleet’s gone to smash--and how!”

“But Carr. How did you do it? Tell me!”

Mado threw off his covers and clapped his friend on the back, a resounding thump that brought a gasp from Ora.

“Your Sargasso Sea did it. And it’s a thing of the past, too. Wait till I tell you about it!”


Ora tripped from the room as Carr sat on the edge of the bunk to spin his yarn.

“But man alive!” Mado exclaimed when the story was finished. “Don’t you know you’ve done a miraculous thing? I’d never have had the nerve. That damn creature out there had more than four times its former attracting energy. That’s what made it impossible for the fleet to get away. And you--you lucky devil--you just doped it out right. The fleet of the Llotta gave you a tremendous push from astern when you used the repulsive energy. If they hadn’t been there with their enormous mass to react against we’d all have been mincemeat now along with the Llotta. You Terrestrials sure can think fast! Me, now--Lord, if it had been me, I’d have thought of it after my spirit had departed to its reward--or punishment. Glory be! It’s the greatest thing I ever heard of.”

“Rats! You’d have done the same as I did. Probably would have missed it a mile instead of nearly getting caught as I did. A good thing the fleet’s gone, though. Mars and Terra--Venus, too--they’ll never know how close it was for them. Wouldn’t have sense enough to appreciate it, anyway.”

“They would if they ever got a taste of what the Llotta planned. But what’s wrong with you Carr? You act sore. Want to go home?”

“Me? Don’t be like that. No--I’d like to carry on as we planned. There’s Saturn, Uranus and Neptune yet; Planet 9; a flock of satellites and asteroids. Oh, dammit!”

Mado looked his amazement. “Well, what’s to prevent it?” he demanded. “The Nomad’s still here, and so are we. I’m just as anxious to keep going as you are. Why not?”

But Carr did not reply. Why not, indeed? He strode from the cabin and into the control room. The Nomad was drifting in space, subject only to natural forces that swung it in a vast orbit around the sun. He started the generators and drove the vessel from her temporary orbit with rapid acceleration. Out--out into the jeweled blackness of the heavens. There was Jupiter out there, a bright orb that came suddenly very near when he centered it on the cross-hairs of the telescope.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close