Under Arctic Ice - Cover

Under Arctic Ice

Public Domain

Chapter 2: The Crash

At a few minutes before eight o’clock, Air Mail Pilot Steve Chapman was enjoying a quiet cigarette while waiting for the mechanics to warm up the five hundred horses of his mail plane satisfactorily. Halfway through, he heard, from behind, a quick patter of feet, and, turning, he observed a figure clad in flannel trousers and sweater. The cigarette dropped right out of his mouth as he cried:

“Ken! Ken Torrance!”

“Thank God you’re here!” said Kenneth Torrance. “I gambled on it. Steve, I’ve got to borrow your own personal plane.”

“What?” gasped Steve Chapman. “What--what--?”

“Listen, Steve. I haven’t been with the whaling company lately; been resting, down here--secluded. Didn’t know that submarine, the Peary, was missing. I just learned. And I know damned well what’s happened to it. I’ve got to get to it, quick is I can, and I’ve got to have a plane.”

Steve Chapman said rather faintly:

“But--where was the Peary when they last heard from her?”

“Some twelve hundred miles from the Pole.”

“And you want to get there in a plane? From here?”

“Must!”

“Boy, you stand about one chance in twenty!”

“Have to take it. Time’s precious, Steve. I’ve got to stop in at the Alaska Whaling Company’s outpost at Point Christensen, then right on up. I can’t even begin unless I have a plane. You’ve got to help me on my one chance of bringing the Peary’s men out alive! You’ll probably never see the plane again, Steve, but--”

“To hell with the plane, if you come through with yourself and those men,” said the pilot. “All right, kid, I don’t get it all, but I’m playing with you. You’re taking my own ship.”

He led Ken to a hangar wherein stood a trim five-passenger amphibian; and very soon that amphibian was roaring out her deep-throated song of power on the line, itching for the air, and Steve Chapman was shouting a few last words up to the muffled figure in the enclosed control cockpit.

“Fuel’ll last around forty hours,” he finished. “You’ll find two hundred per, easy, and twenty-five hours should take you clear to Point Christensen. I put gun and maps in the right pocket; food in that flap behind you. Go to it, Ken!”

Ken Torrance gripped the hand outstretched to his and held it tight. He could say nothing, could only nod--this was a real friend. He gave the ship the gun.

Her mighty Diesel bellowed, lashed the air down and under; the amphibian spun her retractable wheels over the straight hard ground until they lifted lightly and tilted upward in a slow climb for altitude. With fiery streams from the exhaust lashing her flanks, she faded into the darkness to the north.

“Well,” murmured Steve Chapman, “I’ve got her instalments left, anyway!” And he grinned and turned to the mail.


That night passed slowly by; and the next day; and all through night and day the steady roar of beating cylinders hung in Kenneth Torrance’s ears. At last came Point Christensen and a descent; sleep and then quick, decisive action; and again the amphibian rose, heavily loaded now, and droned on toward the ice and the cold bleak skies of the far north. On, ever on, until Point Barrow, Alaska’s northernmost spur, was left behind to the east, and the world was one of drifting ice on gray water. Muscles cramped, mind dulled by the everlasting roar, head aching and weary, Ken held the amphibian to her steady course, until a sudden wind shook her momentarily from it.

A rising wind. The skies were ugly. And then he remembered that the men at Point Christensen had warned him of a storm that was brewing. They’d told him that he was heading into disaster; and their surprised, rather fearful faces appeared before him again, as he had seen them just before taking off, after he had told them where he was going.

Of course they’d thought him crazy. He had brought the amphibian down in the little harbor off the whaling company’s base, gone ashore and greeted his old friends. There was only a handful of men stationed there; the Narwhal was being overhauled in a shipyard at San Francisco, and it wasn’t the season for surface whalers. They knew that he, Ken, had been put in a sanitarium; all of them had heard his wild story about sealmen. But he concocted a plausible yarn to account for his arrival, and they had fed him and given him a berth in the bunkhouse for the night.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close