Two Thousand Miles Below - Cover

Two Thousand Miles Below

Public Domain

Chapter 17: Gor

Through an ordinary experience, Dean Rawson, like any other man, would have kept unconscious measurement of the passing time. An hour, no matter how crowded, would still have been an hour that his mind could measure and grasp. But now he had no least idea of the hours or minutes that had marked their flight. Each lagging second was an age in passing. Even the flashing thoughts that drove swiftly through his mind seemed slow and laborious. Painstakingly he marshaled his few facts.

“They know what they’re about, that’s one thing dead sure. They’re onto their job, and they’ve got something here that beats anything we’ve ever had.” He mentally nailed that one fact down and passed on to the next. “And that’s the bow end of our ship, up there.” He looked above him at a dented place in the ceiling, the ceiling that had been the floor of the room when first he stepped into it. “There isn’t any up or down any more. I’ve been flipped back and forth every time we slowed down or accelerated until I don’t know where I’m at, but I saw that dented plate in the floor when I got in and we started falling in that direction. But whether we’re falling toward the center of the earth still or whether we passed the center back there at that hot spot and now this crazy, senseless shell is flying on and up, perhaps these people know--I don’t!”

Then fact No. 3. “They live somewhere inside here. They’re taking me there, of course. It must mean there’s a race of them--and they don’t like the mole-men. They know the way back, too, and if they’ll help me ... Perhaps the fighting’s not over yet!”

Through more endless, age-long seconds there passed through Rawson’s mind entrancing visions. An army of men like these White Ones, himself at their head. They were armed with strange weapons; they were invading the mole-men’s world...

The girl was reaching toward him. She laid one hand upon his, then pointed overhead.


Rawson looked quickly above. The glowing bull’s-eyes startled him, then he knew it was white-light he was seeing, not the red threat of glowing rock. Their speed had been steadily cut down as the air pressure lessened. “They’re decompressing,” he thought. “They’re working slowly into the lesser pressure.”

The passing air no longer shrieked insanely. Above its soft rushing sound he heard the girl’s voice; it was clear, vibrant with happiness. Her hand closed convulsively over his; her eyes beneath their long lashes smiled unspoken words of welcome, of comradeship, and of something more.

Within their room her light, which at close range seemed only a slender bar of metal with a brilliantly glowing end, had been clamped in a bracket against the wall. The illumination had seemed brilliant, now suddenly it was pale and dim.

Through the bull’s-eyes above, a brighter light was shining, clear and golden, like the light of the sun on a brilliant and cloudless day. And to Rawson, who felt that he had spent a lifetime in the gloomy dungeons of that inner world, that flooding brilliance was more than mere light. It was the promise of release, the very essence of hope. His eyes clung to these little round windows; then the larger glass beside him blazed forth with the bright sunlight of an open world that was unbearable to one who had lived so long in darkness.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close