Lords of the Stratosphere - Cover

Lords of the Stratosphere

Public Domain

Chapter 3: Strange Levitation

“In two days we’ll be ready, Tema,” said Lucian Jeter quietly. “And make no mistake about it; when we take off for the stratosphere we’re going to encounter strange things. Nobody can tell me that Kress’ plane actually flew three weeks! And where did it come down? Why didn’t Kress use the parachute ball? Where is it? I’ll wager we’ll find answers to plenty of those questions--if we live!”

“If we live?” repeated Eyer. “You mean--?”

“You know what happened to Kress? Or rather you know the result of what happened to him?”

“Sure.”

“Why should we be immune? I tell you, Eyer, we’re on the eve of something colossal, awe-inspiring--perhaps catastrophic.”

Eyer grinned. Jeter grinned back at him. If they knew they flew inescapably to death they still would have grinned. They had plenty of courage.

“We’d better go into town for a meeting with newspaper people,” went on Jeter. “You know how things go in the news; there are probably plenty of stories which for one reason or another have not been published. Maybe the law has clamped down on some of them. I’ve a feeling that if everything were told, the whole world would be frightened stiff. And you notice how quickly the papers finished with the Kress’ thing.”

Eyer knew, all right. The papers had broken the story of the return in flaming scareheads. Then the thing had come to a full stop. It was significant that no real satisfactory explanation had been offered by any one. The papers had, on their own initiative, tried to communicate with Sitsumi, and the three Chinese scientists, and had failed all around. Sitsumi did not answer, denied himself to representatives of the American press in Japan, and crawled into an impenetrable Oriental shell. The three Chinese could not answer, according to advices from Peking, because they could not be located.

Jeter called the publisher of the leading newspaper for a conference.

“Strange that you should have called just now,” said the publisher, “for I was on the point of calling you and Eyer and inviting you to a conference to be held this evening at my office in Manhattan.”

“What’s the purpose of your conference? Who will attend?”

“I--I--well, let us say I had hoped to make you and Eyer available to all interviewers on the eve of your flight into the stratosphere.”

Jeter hesitated, realizing that the publisher did not wish to tell everything over the telephone.

“We’ll be right along, sir,” he said.


It took an hour for them to reach the publisher’s office. Wires had plainly been pulled, too, for a motorcycle escort joined them at the Queensboro Bridge and led them, sirens screaming, to their meeting with George Hadley, the publisher.

They looked at each other in surprise when they were admitted to the meeting.

Hadley’s huge offices were packed. The mayor was there, the police commissioner, the assistant to the head of Federal Secret Service. The State Governor had sent a representative. All the newspapers had their most famous men sitting in. Right in this one big room was represented almost the entire public opinion of the United States. American representatives of foreign newspapers were there. And there wasn’t a smile on a single face.

It was beginning to be borne in upon everybody that the Western Hemisphere was in the grip of a strange unearthly malady--almost an other-earthly malady, but what was it?

Hadley nodded to the two scientists and they took the seats he indicated.

Hadley cleared his throat and spoke.

“We have here people who represent the press of the world,” he said. “We have men who control billions in money. I don’t know how many of you have thought along the same lines as I have, but I feel that after I have finished speaking most of you will. First, there are certain news stories which, for reasons of policy, never reach the pages of our papers. I shall now tell you some of them...”

The whole crowd shifted slightly in its chairs. There was a strained leaning forward. Grave faces went whiter as they anticipated gripping announcements.

“All the strange things have not been happening in the United States, gentlemen,” said Hadley. “That young fellow who reported seeing the columns of light in Arizona--you remember?--”

There was a chorus of nods.

“He probably told the exact truth, as far as he knew it. But it isn’t only in Arizona that it has been seen--those columns I mean. Only there is just one column--not five. It has since been reported in Nepal and Bhutan, in Egypt and Morocco and a dozen other places. But in the cases of such stories emanating from foreign countries, a congress of publishers has withheld the facts, not because of their strangeness but because of the effect they might have on the public sanity. In Nepal, for example, the column of light rested for a moment on an ancient temple, and when the light vanished the temple also had vanished, with everybody in it at the time for worship! Rumor had it that some of the worshipers were later found and identified. They appear to have been scattered over half of Nepal--and every last one was smashed almost to a pulp, as though the body had been dropped from an enormous height.”

A concerted gasp raced around the assemblage. Then silence again, while the pale-faced Hadley went on with his unbelievable story.


“A mad story comes from the heart of the terai, in India. I don’t know what importance to give this story since the only witnesses to the phenomenon were ignorant natives. But the column of light played into the terai--and tigers, huge snakes, buffalo and even elephants rose bodily over the treetops and vanished. They started up slowly--then disappeared with the speed of light.”

“Were crushed animals later found in the jungle?” asked Jeter quietly.

Hadley turned his somber eyes on the questioner. Every white face, every fearful eye, also turned toward Jeter.

And Hadley nodded.

“It’s too much to be coincidence,” he said. “The crushed and broken bodies in Nepal and India--of course they aren’t so far apart but that natives in either place might have heard the story from the other--but I am inclined to believe in the inner truth of the stories in each case.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close