Spacehounds of Ipc
Chapter 10

Public Domain

Among Friends at Last

The time for the landing of the Sirius was drawing near, and the castaways upon Ganymede had donned their only suits of earthly clothing, instead of the makeshifts of mole-skin, canvas, and leather they had been wearing so long. Thorns and underbrush had pierced and torn their once natty outing costumes, and sparks and flying drops of molten metal from Stevens’ first crude forges had burned in them many gaping holes.

“I did the best I could with them, Steve, but they look pretty crumby,” Nadia wrinkled her nose as she studied the anything but invisible seams, darns, and staring patches everywhere so evident, both in her own apparel of gray silk and in the heavy whipcord clothing of her companion.

“You did a great job, considering what you had to work with,” he reassured her. “Besides, who cares about a few patches? I feel a lot more civilized in my own clothes, don’t you?”

“Well ... yes,” she admitted. “They’re silk, anyway, even if they don’t look like much, and I’m just reveling in the feel of them next to me after the horrible, rough, scratchy things I’ve been wearing. See anything yet?”

“Not yet.” Stevens had been scanning the heavens with a pair of binoculars. “That doesn’t mean much, though, as they’ll be just about in the sun and they’ll be coming like a scared dog. Might as well put away these glasses--we probably won’t be able to see them until they’re right on top of us.”

“What shall we take with us?”

“Don’t know--nothing, probably, since they must have a campaign already mapped out. I’d like to salvage a lot of this junk, but I’m afraid we won’t be able to. I’m going to take my bow and arrows, though, aren’t you?”

“Absolutely! That’s one thing that’s better than anything I ever had on Earth. This bow of mine is perfect.”

“There they are! Three rousing cheers! Say, but that old hulk looks good to me!”

“Doesn’t she, though!” cried Nadia, vibrant with excitement. “You know, Steve. I’ve hardly dared really to believe it until this very minute. Oh look! What’s that?”

The Sirius had stopped in midair and they could see, far in the distance, the tiny sphere of the Jovians, rushing to the attack.

“Oh, how horrible!” cried the girl, her voice breaking. “I’m afraid, Steve...”

“You needn’t be, ace. I’ve told you they won’t go off half-cocked as long as Westfall is on the job. They’re ready for anything, or they wouldn’t be here--but just the same I wish that they had that Titanian mirror and a couple of those bombs!”

In a moment more the Jovian plane of force was launched, the powerful ray-screens flared into white-hot, sparkling defense, and the battle was on. Held spell-bound as the castaways were by that spectacular duel, yet Stevens’ trained mind warned him of the perils of their position.

“Grab your bow and we’ll beat it!” and he rapidly led her away from the steel structures to an open hillside, well away from any projection, tree, or sharp point of rock. “If that keeps up very long, we’re going to see some real fireworks, and I don’t know whether there will be enough left of our plant here to salvage or not. Everything is grounded, of course, but I don’t believe that ordinary grounds will amount to much against what’s coming.”

“What are you talking about?” demanded Nadia.

“Look!” he replied, pointing, and as he spoke, a terrific bolt of lightning launched itself from the incandescent screen of the Jovian vessel upon their slender ultra-radio tower, which subsided instantly into a confused mass of molten and twisted metal.


As the power of the beams was increased and as the combatants drew nearer and nearer the ground, the lightning display grew ever more violent. Well below the canyon as the warring vessels were, the power-plant and penstock did not suffer at all and only a few discharges struck the Forlorn Hope--discharges which were carried easily to ground by the enormous thickness of her armor--but every prominent object for hundreds of yards below the Hope was literally blasted out of existence. Radio tower, directors and fittings; trees, shrubs, sharp points of rock--all were struck again and again; fused, destroyed, utterly obliterated by the inconceivable energy being dissipated by those impregnable screens of force. Even almost flat upon the ground as the spectators were, each individual hair upon their heads strove fiercely to stand erect, so heavily charged was the very air. Stevens’ arm was blue for days, such was Nadia’s grip upon it, and she herself could scarcely breathe in that mighty arm’s constriction--but each was conscious only of that incredibly violent struggle, of that duel to the death being waged there before their eyes with those frightful weapons, hitherto unknown to man. They saw the Sirius triumphant, and Stevens led the dancing girl back into their dwelling of steel.

“Danger’s all over now. Radio’s gone, but we should fret a lot about that. It has done its stuff--we can use the communicators. And now, sweetheart, I’m going to kiss you--for the first time in seven lifetimes.”

Locked in each other’s arms, they watched the scene until Stevens thought it time to send his message. Then, running hand in hand toward the huge space-cruiser, they were snatched apart and drawn up toward the double airlocks of the main entrance. Pressure gradually brought up to normal, they were ushered into the control room, where Nadia glanced around quickly and almost took her father off his feet by her tempestuous rush into his arms.

“Oh, Daddy darling. I just knew you’d come along! I haven’t seen you for a million years!” she exclaimed, rapturously. “And Bill, too--wonderful!” as she fervently embraced a young man wearing the uniform of a lieutenant of Interplanetary Police. “Ouch, Bill--you’re breaking all my ribs!”

“Well, you cracked three of mine. Maybe you don’t know how husky you are, but you’ve got a squeeze like a full grown boa constrictor!” He held her off at arms’ length and studied her with admiration. “Gee, it’s fine to see you again, Sis. You’re looking great, too--I think I’ll bring my girl out here to live. You always were a knockout, but now you’re the loveliest thing I ever saw!”

He made his way through the group surrounding Stevens, while Nadia and her father talked earnestly.

“I’m Bill Newton. Thanks,” he said, simply, holding out his hand, which was taken in a bone-crushing grip.

“Bring him over here, Bill!” Nadia called before Stevens could find a reply.

“I don’t know how to say anything, Stevens,” the officer continued, in embarrassment, as the two men turned to obey the summons. “She’s a good kid, and we think a lot of her. We’d about given her up. We ... She ... Oh, rats, what’s the use? You know what I mean. You’re there, Stevens, like a...”

“Clam it, ace!” Stevens interrupted. “I get you, to nineteen decimals. And you don’t half know just what a good kid she really is. She’s the reason we’re here--we were down pretty close to bed-rock for a while, she stood up when I wilted. She’s got everything. She...”

“Clam it yourself, Steve! Don’t believe a word of it, Dad and Bill. Wilt!” Nadia’s voice dripped scorn. “Why, he di...”

“Please!” Newton’s voice was somewhat husky as he silenced the clamor of the three young people, all talking at once. “I will not embarrass you further by trying to say something that no words can express. You told me that you would take care of her, and I learn that you have done so.”

“I did what I could, but most of the credit belongs to her, no matter what she says,” Stevens insisted. “Anyway, sir, here she is; alive, well and ... unharmed,” and his eyes bore unflinchingly the piercing gaze of the older man, who was reassured and pleased by what he read therein. “One thing I want to say right now, though, that may make you feel like canceling the welcome. I loved Nadia even before the Arcturus was attacked, and since then, coming to know her as I have, the feeling hasn’t lessened any.”

“Nadia has already told me all about you two,” said her father, “and the welcome stands. If you could take care of her as well as you have done since you left the Arcturus, I have no doubt of your ability to take care of her for life. We have been examining the work you have done here, son, and the more I saw of it the more amazed I became that you could have succeeded as you did. We are deeply indebted ... Just a minute! There’s my call--I’m wanted in Fifteen. I’ll see you again directly.”

“Hi, Norm!” Stevens further relieved the surcharged atmosphere. “As soon as you and Quince can leave those controls come over and see us, will you?”

“All x--coming up!” sounded Brandon’s deep and pleasant bass, and the two rescuers, who had tactfully avoided the family reunion, came over and greeted the third of their triumvirate.

“Ho, Perce--you look fit.” Brandon ran an expert hand over Stevens’ arm and shoulder. “Looks as if he might last a round or two, doesn’t he, Quince?”

“You are looking fine, Steve. Neither of you appear any the worse for your experiences. So this is Nadia? We have heard of you, Miss Newton.”

“I believe that, knowing Dad,” she replied. “Thanks, both of you, for digging us out. I’ve heard about you two, and I’m going to kiss you both.”

Westfall, the silent and reserved, was taken aback, but Brandon met her more than half-way.

“All x, Nadia--payment in full received and hereby acknowledged,” he laughed, as he allowed her feet to return to the floor. “Even if it was some stout lads from Mars and Venus that did all the work we’ll take the reward--especially since Alcantro and Fedanzo couldn’t feel even such a high-voltage salute as that one was, and I can’t picture you kissing a Venerian even if you could get to him. Whenever you get lost again, be sure to let us know, now that you’ve got our address. If I know Perce at all, you’ve heard of us ‘til you’re sick of it and us--it’s a weakness of his--talking too much.”

“Why, it’s no such th...” began Nadia, but broke off as an aide came up and saluted smartly.

“Pardon me, but General Crowninshield requests that Doctor Brandon, Doctor Westfall, and Doctor Stevens join the council in Lounge Fifteen as soon as convenient.” He saluted again and turned away.

“Yes, that’s right, folks--we’ve got to take a lot of steps, fast--see you later,” and Brandon, taking each of the other two by an arm, marched them away toward the designated assembly room.


There, already seated at a long table, were Czuv, King, and Breckenridge, all fully recovered, engaged in earnest conversation with Newton and Crowninshield. Alcantro and Fedanzo, the Martian scientists, were listening intently, as were the two Venerians Dol Kenor and Pyraz Amonar. The eyes of the three newcomers, however, did not linger upon the group at the table, but were irresistibly drawn to one corner of the room, where six creatures lay in the heaviest manacles afforded by the stores of the Interplanetary Police. Not only were they manacled, but each was facing a ray-projector, held by a soldier whose expression showed plainly that he would rather press the lethal contact than not.

“Oh--those the things we’re fighting?” Brandon stopped at the threshold and stared intently at the captive hexans. Goggling green eyes glaring venomously, they were lying quiet, but tense; mighty muscles ready to burst into berserk activity should the attention of a guard waver for a single instant.

But little more than half as large as the savage creatures with whom Stevens had fought in the mountain glade upon Ganymede, the hexans resembled those aborigines only as civilized men might resemble gigantic primordial savages of our own Earth. Brandon’s gaze went from short, powerful legs up a round, red body to the enormous, freakish double pair of shoulders, with its peculiar universal jointing. From the double shoulders sprang four limbs, the front pair of which were undoubtedly arms, terminating in large, but fairly normal, hands. The intermediate limbs were longer than the legs and were much more powerful than the arms, and ended in members that were very evidently feet and hands combined. What in a human being would be the back of the hand was the sole of the foot--when walking upon that foot the long and dexterous thumb and fingers were curled up, out of the way and protected from injury, in the palm of the hand. From the monstrous shoulders there rose a rather long and very flexible, yet massive and columnar neck, supporting a head neither human nor bestial--a head utterly unknown to Terrestrial history or experience. The massive cranium bespoke a highly developed and intelligent brain, as did the three large and expressive, peculiar, triangular eyes. The three sensitive ears were very long, erect, and sharply pointed. Each was set immediately above an eye, one upon each side of the head and one in front. Each ear was independently and instantly movable in any direction, to catch the faintest sound. The head, like the body and limbs, was entirely devoid of hair. The horns, so prominent in the savages Stevens had seen, were in this highly intelligent race but vestigial--three small, sharp, black protuberances only an inch in length, one surmounting each ear, outlining the lofty forehead. The nose occupied almost the whole middle of the face and was not really a nose--it developed into a small and active proboscis. The chin was receding almost to the point of disappearance, so that the mouth, with its multiple rows of small, sharp, gleaming-white teeth, was almost hidden under the face instead of being a part of it. Such were the hexans, at whom the Big Three stared in undisguised amazement.

“Attention, please!” Newton called the meeting to order. “We have learned that all the passengers of the Arcturus, and all the crew save three, are alive and safe for the time being. Most of them are upon the satellite Europa. However, I understand that we are not yet sufficiently well armed to withstand such an attack in force as will certainly develop when we move to rescue them. This seems to be a war of applied physics--Doctor Brandon, as spokesman for the Scientific forces of the expedition, what are your suggestions?”

“Anticipating an attack in response to signals probably sent out by the enemy,” replied Brandon. “I headed directly south immediately. We are now well south the ecliptic, and are traveling at considerably more than full Martian acceleration. Before making any suggestions, I should like to hear from Captain Czuv, who is more familiar than we are with the common enemy. Are they apt to follow us: can they detect us if we should drift at constant velocity; and can we search the brains of the prisoners with his Callistonian thought-exchanger, if he should build one with our help?”

“If they are close enough to us to overtake us without too much lost time, they will certainly attack us,” Czuv answered at a nod from Newton. “Ordinarily they would pursue us to the limits of the Solar System if necessary, but since they have suffered reverses of late and cannot spare any vessels, they will probably not pursue us far. Yes, they can detect us, even without the driving rays, since this vessel uses much low-tension, low-frequency electricity in its automatic machinery, lights, and so on. No; our thought-transformer cannot take thoughts by force, and the hexans will exchange no ideas with us. They are implacable and deadly foes of all humanity, irrespective of planet or race. Mercy is to them unknown--they neither give nor take quarter.”

“I can bear him out in that,” Crowninshield interposed grimly. “The first one to recover snapped our ordinary handcuffs like so much thread and literally tore four men to pieces before the rest of us could ray him. Will you need me longer, Director Newton?”

“I think not. General. Captain Czuv, you have made no headway with them?” asked the Director.

“None whatever, as I foretold. They understand me thoroughly, since two of them speak my own tongue, but nothing that they have said can ever be repeated here. I knew from the first that all such attempts would be fruitless, but I have tried--and failed. I suggest what I suggested at first--put them to death, here and now, as they lie there, for most assuredly they will in some way contrive to take toll of lives of your own humanity if you allow them to live.”

“You may be right,” said Newton, “but neither the General nor myself can give the order for their death, since Interplanetary law does not countenance such summary action. However, the guards are fully warned of the peril, and will ray every prisoner at the first sign of unruliness. General Crowninshield, you may remove the prisoners and deal with them in accordance with...”


Pandemonium reigned. At Crowninshield’s signal for the guards to leave the room with their captives, all six had strained furiously at their bonds and three of them had broken free in a flash, throwing themselves upon the guards with unthinkable ferocity. Stevens, seeing a ray-projector in a hand of one of the prisoners, hurled his heavy chair instantly and with terrific force. The projector flew into the air, shattered and useless, while the hexan was knocked into a corner by the momentum of the massive projectile and lay there, stunned and broken. Brandon, likewise reacting instantaneously, had bent over and seized a leg of the table, bracing his knee against the corner. With a mighty lunge of his powerful body he wrenched out the support and with a continuation of the same motion, he brought the jagged oak head of his terrible club down full upon the crown of the second hexan, who had already torn one guard apart and was leaping toward Czuv, his hereditary foe. In midflight he was dashed to the floor, his head a shapeless, pulpy mass, and Brandon, bludgeon again aloft, strode deeper into the fray. For a brief moment searing lethal beams probed here and there, chains clanked and snapped, once more that ponderous and irresistible oaken mace fell like the hammer of Thor, again spattering brains and blood abroad as it descended--then again came silence. The six erstwhile prisoners lay dead, but they had taken five of the guards with them--literally dismembered, hideously torn limb from limb by the superhuman, incredible physical strength and utter ferocity of the hexans.

By common consent the meeting was adjourned to another room, for the business in hand could not be postponed.

“Captain Czuv was right--we Tellurians could not believe in the existence of such a race without the evidence of our own senses.” Newton reopened the meeting. “From this time on we take no prisoners. Doctor Brandon, you may resume.”

“The detectors and lookouts will give ample warning of any attack, and Doctor Westfall has suggested that we should have all possible facts at hand before we try to decide upon a course of action. We should like to hear the full reports of Captain King, Captain Czuv, Chief Pilot Breckenridge, and Doctor Stevens.”

The four men told their stories tersely and rapidly, while the others listened in deep attention. As the last speaker sat down, Newton again turned to Brandon, who silently jerked his head at Westfall, knowing his own inadequacy in such a situation--realizing that here was needed Westfall’s cold and methodical thinking.

“Director Newton and gentlemen,” Westfall spoke calmly and precisely. “We have much to do before we can meet the hexans upon equal terms. We have many new fields of force and rays to develop, of whose nature and necessity Doctor Brandon is already aware. Then, too, we must recalculate our visirays so that we can operate at greater range and efficiency. We must also examine the hexan space-ship which is towing, to do which it will be desirable to drift at constant velocity for a time. In it we may find instruments or devices as yet unknown to us. It also occurs to me that since this is an Interplanetary Police problem of the first magnitude, we should at once get in touch with Police Headquarters, so that the Peace Fleet can be armed as we ourselves are, or shall be, armed; for a large and highly efficient fleet will be necessary to do that which must be done. It is, of course, a foregone conclusion that Interplanetary humanity will support the humanity of Callisto against the hexans.

“It is also self-evident that we must stay here and rescue the Tellurians now upon Europa and Callisto, but we are not yet in position to decide just how that rescue is to be accomplished. Four courses are apparently open to us. First, to attempt it as soon as we shall have strengthened our armament as much as is now possible. That would invite a massed attack, and in my opinion would be foolish--probably suicidal. Second, to stand by at a distance until the rocket-ship is launched, then to escort it back to the Earth. Third, to aid the Callistonians as much as possible while awaiting the completion of the rocket-vessel. Fourth, and perhaps the most feasible and quickest, it may be possible for the Callistonian rocket-ships to bring out fellow-Tellurians, a few at a time, to us here out in space, since they are apparently able to come and go at will. However, I would recommend that we make no plans for the rescue as yet--there is little use in attempting to deal with an ever-changing situation until we are ready to act forthwith. I suggest that we strengthen our offensive and defensive armament first, then secure information as to the exact status of affairs, both upon Callisto and upon Europa. Then, ready to act, we will do at once whatever seems called for by the situation then obtaining.”

“The program as outlined seems eminently sensible. Are there any comments or suggestions?” None having been offered, Director Newton adjourned the meeting and each man attacked his particular problem.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close