The Secret of the Ninth Planet - Cover

The Secret of the Ninth Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 18: Sacrifice on the Sacred Moon

“Burl Denning! Can you hear me, Burl Denning?” A thin, tinny voice somewhere was calling him. But the darkness was all around, and Burl felt a great sleepiness and a desire only to sink deeper into the cottony nothing in which he seemed to be cradled.

“Burl Denning! If you can hear me, speak up!” Again the faint, scratchy voice nagged at Burl’s mind. He really ought to answer. He tried to open his mouth. Something hard and cold was pressing against his back. He tossed and squirmed.

Once more the voice called, and this time he decided that he must be asleep. He struggled to open his eyes, then finally blinked them wide in an effort to adjust himself to his surroundings.

He was apparently out in the open, and it was night. The sky was dark, not black, but almost so--a deep, blue-black. There was a pale blue saucer hanging in the sky. It blotted out most of the view. Gradually, he became aware of a shiny barrier between him and that sky--he was not out of doors. Something like a glass dome seemed to be overhead.

Burl raised his head. There was no one in sight. He felt dizzy and confused. He lifted a hand to his brow, and felt the cold glass of his space helmet. He was still wearing his space suit then. The voice--it must be in his helmet phone.

“Hello,” he ventured weakly. “Who’s calling?”

Quickly the faint voice replied, growing stronger. “Burl, are you all right? Where are you?”

Burl looked around. He was sitting on the floor of an isolated enclosure with a transparent dome. There were no walls, just the rounded dome like a fishbowl turned upside down on him. The flooring beneath his feet was plastic.

“I’m all right, I think,” said Burl. “Is that you, Russ? Sounds a little like you, but you must be far away.”

“Yes, it’s me, Russell Clyde,” confirmed the voice. “You’re coming in weak, too. Where are you?”

Burl described his surroundings. There was a silence for a moment, then Russ’s voice again. “I kind of suspected it, but what you say confirms it. We must be on the only planet we haven’t visited ... or rather, not on it, but near it. I mean Neptune. I knew from the gravity I wasn’t on Pluto any more. Judging from our weight, and your description of the bluish planet in the sky, we must be on Triton, Neptune’s bigger moon.”

Burl found that his dizziness was disappearing. “I feel light,” he commented, as he got to his feet. “Should Neptune look sort of like Uranus, only more bluish in color?” he asked.

“That’s it,” said Russ. “Neptune is pretty much of a twin for Uranus, only it’s denser, a little bit smaller, and perhaps more substantial than the other giant worlds in our system. It should have a second moon, smaller and way out.”

Burl walked around the little enclosed space. “I guess I’m a prisoner here,” he said. “This dome is on the surface. Most of the area is just a sort of rocky plain with patches of liquid gases, but there are a couple of big buildings nearby. Funny sort of structures--they have fancy tops with symbols on them that look like the phases of the moon.”

“I think I’m inside one of those buildings,” Russ guessed. “I’m in a big hall with a lot of exhibits in glass cases. And they’ve got the strangest creatures I’ve ever seen in them. There are lunar markings here, too--they remind me of the ones we saw on Pluto. You know what I suspect?”

Burl paced around, regaining his senses as he walked. It was obvious that, after he’d been knocked out by the Plutonians, he had been taken by them to this moon of Neptune. For what purpose?

Russ continued to murmur his thoughts, his voice ringing tinnily in Burl’s earphones. “I think that Triton was originally Pluto’s moon. When Pluto wandered into the solar system, it crossed Neptune’s orbit and was held. Its moon came closer to Neptune and was captured completely. But Pluto, having a greater mass, didn’t stick. It established an eccentric orbit of its own which took it far out from Neptune for hundreds of years at a stretch and brought it back only rarely. Pluto lost its moon. And that moon was the spiritual home of the Sun-tappers’ religion.”

Burl glanced across the landscape. There were some funny things growing nearby. They looked a little like thin, glassy trees with big, blue coconuts on top.

“What happened to you and Haines after we got separated?” he asked, still talking through his helmet phone.

“I don’t know what happened to Haines,” said Russ. “I hope he got away. But they trapped me. I was taken aboard one of their dumbbell ships, and brought here. The trip took days. I guess you were unconscious for all that time. If it’s any comfort to you, the Pluto building was destroyed. Our atomic bomb went off. I saw the flare from a window in the ship. I think this moon is the last stronghold of the Sun-tappers, and I think it is our final objective.”

The strange crystalline vegetation seemed to be moving closer to Burl. He watched it carefully. It was moving! There were living beings out there!

They glided oddly over the ground, and he saw that their bases were a mass of crystalline fringes, moving feelers which crawled over the surface bearing the upper structures with them. They had thin, trunklike bodies with two long, pencil-like branches that were used as arms. And the coconut objects were heads!

They circled the dome now, and Burl could see that each round blue knob had a central black spot that apparently served as an eye. There was no sign of nostrils or mouth. Burl stared at the creatures in wonder.

The beings were clearly gesturing to him, trying to signal with their odd arms. He waved back, wondering how he could establish communication. As he did so, he described the creatures to Russ.

Russ’s voice was excited. “Say! I think I’ve figured out what sort of place I’m in. This is a museum of galactic life! Each of these glass cases contains a specimen of the highest form of life of its particular world. In one of the cases, opposite me, there’s one of the Martian creatures--a big, antlike fellow. He’s standing there, looking perfectly alive, but absolutely motionless. Next to him is something else that looks like an intelligent form. It’s sort of a man, covered with short red hair. Around its waist it’s got a belt, and there are pouches on it, and something like a short sword. It must be a humanoid type from some world out among the stars. Some of the others look like intelligent forms, too, because they are wearing clothing.

“I think that collecting these specimens and setting them up here is part of the religion of the Sun-tappers.”

While Russ was talking, Burl thought of a way he might communicate with the stick-men. He wanted to draw a diagram of the solar system on the floor of his enclosure. He gestured futilely with his hand, but there was nothing with which to make a marking. The stick-men outside watched his hand, then one of them reached around to something hanging across its back and withdrew a thin tablet and a wedge of red. Holding the tablet up so that Burl could see, the creature quickly sketched a recognizable map of the Sun and its planets!

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close