A Trace of Memory
Chapter 7

Public Domain

It was two hours later, and Foster and I stood silent before a ten-foot screen that had glowed into life when I touched a silver button beside it. It showed us a vast emptiness of bottomless black, set thick with corruscating points of polychrome brilliance that hurt to look at. And against that backdrop: a ship, vast beyond imagining, blotting out half the titanic vista with its bulk--

But dead.

Even from the distance of miles, I could sense it. The great black torpedo shape, dull moonlight glinting along the unbelievable length of its sleek flank, drifted: a derelict. I wondered for how many centuries it had waited here--and for what?

“I feel,” said Foster, “somehow--I’m coming home.” I tried to say something, croaked, cleared my throat.

“If this is your jitney,” I said, “I hope they didn’t leave the meter ticking on you. We’re broke.”

“We’re closing rapidly,” said Foster. “Another ten minutes, I’d guess...”

“How do we go about heaving to, alongside? You didn’t come across a book of instructions, did you?”

“I think I can predict that the approach will be automatic.”

“This is your big moment, isn’t it?” I said. “I’ve got to hand it to you, pal; you’ve won out by pluck, just like the Rover Boys.”

The ship appeared to move smoothly closer, looming over us, fine golden lines of decorative filigree work visible now against the black. A tiny square of pale light appeared, grew into a huge bay door that swallowed us.

The screen went dark, there was a gentle jar, then motionlessness. The port opened, silently.

“We’ve arrived,” Foster said. “Shall we step out and have a look?”

“I wouldn’t think of going back without one,” I said. I followed him out and stopped dead, gaping. I had expected an empty hold, bare metal walls. Instead, I found a vaulted cavern, shadowed, mysterious, rich with a thousand colors. There was a hint of strange perfume in the air, and I heard low music that muttered among stalagmite-like buttresses. There were pools, playing fountains, waterfalls, dim vistas stretching away, lit by slanting rays of muted sunlight.

“What kind of place is it?” I asked. “It’s like a fairyland, or a dream.”

“It’s not an earthly scheme of decoration,” Foster said, “but I find it strangely pleasing.”

“Hey, look over there,” I yelped suddenly, pointing. An empty-eyed skull stared past me from the shadows at the base of a column.

Foster went over to the skull, stood looking down at it. “There was a disaster here,” he said. “That much is plain.”

“It’s creepy,” I said. “Let’s go back; I forgot to get film for my Brownie.”

“The long-dead pose no threat,” said Foster. He was kneeling, looking at the white bones. He picked up something, stared at it. “Look, Legion.”

I went over. Foster held up a ring.

“We’re onto something hot, pal,” I said. “It’s the twin to yours.”

“I wonder ... who he was.”

I shook my head. “If we knew that--and who killed him--or what--”

“Let’s go on. The answers must be here somewhere.” Foster moved off toward a corridor that reminded me of a sunny avenue lined with chestnut trees--though there were no trees, and no sun. I followed, gaping.

For hours we wandered, looking, touching, not saying much but saturated in wonder, like kids in a toy factory. We came across another skeleton, lying among towering engines. Finally we paused in a giant storeroom stacked high with supplies.

“Have you stopped to think, Foster,” I said, fingering a length of rose-violet cloth as thin as woven spider webs. “This boat’s a treasure-house of salable items. Talk about the wealth of the Indies--”

“I seek only one thing here, my friend,” Foster said; “my past.”

“Sure,” I said. “But just in case you don’t find it, you might consider the business angle. We can set up a regular shuttle run, hauling stuff down--”

“You earthmen,” sighed Foster. “For you every new experience is immediately assessed in terms of its merchandising possibilities. Well, I leave that to you.”

“Okay, okay,” I said. “You go on ahead and scout around down that way, if you want--where the technical-looking stuff is. I want to browse around here for a while.”

“As you wish.”

“We’ll meet at this end of the big hall we passed back there. Okay?”

Foster nodded and went on. I turned to a bin filled with what looked like unset emeralds the size of walnuts. I picked up a handful, juggled them lovingly.

“Anyone for marbles?” I murmured to myself.

Hours later, I came along a corridor that was like a path through a garden that was a forest, crossed a ballroom like a meadow floored in fine-grained rust-red wood and shaded by giant ferns, and went under an arch into the hall where Foster sat at a long table cut from yellow marble. A light the color of sunrise gleamed through tall pseudo-windows.

I dumped an armfull of books on the table. “Look at these,” I said. “All made from the same stuff as the journal. And the pictures...”

I flipped open one of the books, a heavy folio-sized volume, to a double-page spread in color showing a group of bearded Arabs in dingy white djellabas staring toward the camera, a flock of thin goats in the background. It looked like the kind of picture the National Geographic runs, except that the quality of the color and detail was equal to the best color transparencies.

“I can’t read the print,” I said, “but I’m a whiz at looking at pictures. Most of the books showed scenes like I hope I never see in the flesh, but I found a few that were made on earth--God knows how long ago.”

“Travel books, perhaps,” Foster said.

“Travel books that you could sell to any university on earth for their next year’s budget,” I said, shuffling pages. “Take a look at this one.”

Foster looked across at the panoramic shot of a procession of shaven-headed men in white sarongs, carrying a miniature golden boat on their shoulders, descending a long flight of white stone steps leading from a colonnade of heroic human figures with folded arms and painted faces. In the background, brick-red cliffs loomed up, baked in desert heat.

“That’s the temple of Hat-Shepsut in its prime,” I said. “Which makes this print close to four thousand years old. Here’s another I recognize.” I turned to a smaller, aerial view, showing a gigantic pyramid, its polished stone facing chipped in places and with a few panels missing from the lower levels, revealing the cruder structure of massive blocks beneath.

“That’s one of the major pyramids, maybe Khufu’s,” I said. “It was already a couple thousand years old, and falling into disrepair. And look at this--” I opened another volume, showed Foster a vivid photograph of a great shaggy elephant with a pinkish trunk upraised between wide-curving yellow tusks.

“A mastodon,” I said. “And there’s a woolly rhino, and an ugly-looking critter that must be a sabre-tooth. This book is old...”

“A lifetime of rummaging wouldn’t exhaust the treasures aboard this ship,” said Foster.

“How about bones? Did you find any more?”

Foster nodded. “There was a disaster of some sort. Perhaps disease. None of the bones was broken.”

“I can’t figure the one in the lifeboat,” I said. “Why was he wearing a necklace of bear’s teeth?” I sat down across from Foster. “We’ve got plenty of mysteries to solve, all right, but there are some other items we’d better talk about. For instance: where’s the kitchen? I’m getting hungry.”

Foster handed me a black rod from among several that lay on the table. “I think this may be important,” he said.

“What is it, a chop stick?”

“Touch it to your head, above the ear.”

“What does it do--give you a massage?”

I pressed it to my temple...

I was in a grey-walled room, facing a towering surface of ribbed metal. I reached out, placed my hands over the proper perforations. The housings opened. For apparent malfunction in the quaternary field amplifiers, I knew, auto-inspection circuit override was necessary before activation--

I blinked, looked around at the yellow table, and piled books, the rod in my hand.

“I was in some kind of powerhouse,” I said. “There was something wrong with--with...”

“The quaternary field amplifiers,” Foster said.

“I seemed to be right there,” I said. “I understood exactly what it was all about.”

“These are technical manuals,” Foster said. “They’ll tell us everything we need to know about the ship.”

“I was thinking about what I was getting ready to do,” I said, “the way you do when you’re starting into a job; I was trouble-shooting the quaternary whatzits--and I knew how... !”

Foster got to his feet and moved toward the doorway. “We’ll have to start at one end of the library and work our way through,” he said. “It will take us a while, but we’ll get the facts we need. Then we can plan.”


Foster picked a handful of briefing rods from the racks in the comfortably furnished library and started in. The first thing we needed was a clue as to where to look for food and beds, or for operating instructions for the ship itself. I hoped we might find the equivalent of a library card-catalog; then we could put our hands on what we wanted in a hurry.

I went to the far end of the first rack and spotted a short row of red rods that stood out vividly among the black ones. I took one out, thought it over, decided it was unlikely that it was any more dangerous than the others, and put it against my temple...

As the bells rang, I applied neuro-vascular tension, suppressed cortical areas upsilon-zeta and iota, and stood by for--

I jerked the rod from my head, my ears still ringing with the shrill alarm. The effect of the rods was like reality itself, but intensified, all attention focused single-mindedly on the experience at hand. I thought of the entertainment potentialities of the idea. You could kill a tiger, ride an airplane down in flames, face the heavyweight champion--I wondered about the stronger sensations, like pain and fear. Would they seem as real as the impulse to check the whatchamacallits or tighten up your cortical thingamajigs?

I tried another rod.

At the sound of the apex-tone, I racked instruments, walked, not ran, to the nearest transfer-channel--

Another:

Having assumed duty as Alert Officer, I reported first to coordination Control via short-line, and confirmed rapport--

These were routine SOP’s covering simple situations aboard ship. I skipped a few, tried again:

Needing a xivometer, I keyed instruction-complex One, followed with the code--

Three rods further along, I got this:

The situation falling outside my area of primary conditioning, I reported in corpo to Technical Briefing, Level Nine, Section Four, Sub-section Twelve, Preliminary. I recalled that it was now necessary to supply my activity code ... my activity code ... my activity code... (A sensation of disorientation grew; confused images flickered like vague background-noise; then a clear voice cut across the confusion:)

YOU HAVE SUFFERED PARTIAL PERSONALITY-FADE. DO NOT BE ALARMED. SELECT A GENERAL BACKGROUND ORIENTATION ROD FROM THE NEAREST EMERGENCY RACK. ITS LOCATION IS...

I was moving along the stacks, to pause in front of a niche where a U-shaped plastic strip was clamped to the wall. I removed it, fitted it to my head--(Then:) I was moving along the stacks, to pause in front of a niche--

I was leaning against the wall, my head humming. The red stick lay on the floor at my feet. That last bit had been potent: something about a general background briefing--

“Hey, Foster!” I called, “I think I’ve got something...” He appeared from the stacks.


“As I see it,” I said, “this background briefing should tell us all we need to know about the ship; then we can plan our next move more intelligently. We’ll know what we’re doing.” I took the thing from the wall, just as I had seemed to do in the phantom scene the red rod had projected for me.

“These things make me dizzy,” I said, handing it to Foster. “Anyway you’re the logical one to try it.”

He took the plastic shape, went to the reclining seat at the near end of the library hall, and settled himself. “I have an idea this one will hit harder than the others,” he said.

He fitted the clamp to his head and ... instantly his eyes glazed; he slumped back, limp.

“Foster!” I yelled. I jumped forward, started to pull the plastic piece from his head, then hesitated. Maybe Foster’s abrupt reaction was standard procedure--but I didn’t like it much.

I went on reasoning with myself. After all, this was what the red rod had indicated as normal procedure in a given emergency. Foster was merely having his faded personality touched up. And his full-blown, three-dimensional personality was what we needed to give us the answers to a lot of the questions we’d been asking. Though the ship and everything in it had lain unused and silent for forgotten millenia, still the library should be good. The librarian was gone from his post for forgotten centuries, and Foster was lying unconscious, and I was thirty thousand miles from home--but I shouldn’t let trifles like that worry me...

I got up and prowled the room. There wasn’t much to look at except stacks and more stacks. The knowledge stored here was fantastic, both in magnitude and character. If I ever get home with a load of these rods...

I strolled through a door leading to another room. It was small, functional, dimly lit. The middle of the room was occupied by a large and elaborate divan with a cap-shaped fitting at one end. Other curious accoutrements were ranked along the walls. There wasn’t much in them to thrill me. But bone-wise I had hit the jackpot.

Two skeletons lay near the door, in the final slump of death. Another lay beside the fancy couch. There was a long-bladed dagger beside it.

I squatted beside the two near the door and examined them closely. As far as I could tell, they were as human as I was. I wondered what kind of men they had been, what kind of world they had come from, that could build a ship like this and stock it as it was stocked.

The dagger that lay near the other bones was interesting: it seemed to be made of a transparent orange metal, and its hilt was stamped in a repeated pattern of the Two Worlds motif. It was the first clue as to what had taken place among these men when they last lived: not a complete clue, but a start.

I took a closer look at an apparatus like a dentist’s chair parked against the wall. There were spidery-looking metal arms mounted above it, and a series of colored glass lenses. A row of dull silver cylinders was racked against the wall. Another projected from a socket at the side of the machine. I took it out and looked at it. It was a plain pewter-colored plastic, heavy and smooth. I felt pretty sure it was a close cousin to the chopsticks stored in the library. I wondered what brand of information was recorded in it as I dropped it in my pocket.

I lit a cigarette and went out to where Foster lay. He was still in the same position as when I had left him. I sat down on the floor beside the couch to wait.


It was an hour before he stirred, heaved a sigh, and opened his eyes. He reached up, pulled off the plastic headpiece, dropped it on the floor.

“Are you okay?” I said. “Brother, I’ve been sweating...”

Foster looked at me, his eyes traveling up to my uncombed hair and down to my scuffed shoes. His eyes narrowed in a faint frown. Then he said something--in a language that seemed to be all Z’s and Q’s.

“Don’t spring any surprises on me, Foster,” I said hoarsely. “Talk American.”

A look of surprise crossed his face. He stared into my eyes again, then glanced around the room.

“This is a ship’s library,” he said.

I heaved a sigh of relief. “You gave me a scare, Foster. I thought for a second your memory was wandering again.”

Foster was watching my face as I spoke. “What was it all about?” I said. “What have you found out?”

“I know you,” said Foster slowly. “Your name is Legion.”

I nodded. I could feel myself getting tense again. “Sure, you know me. Just take it easy pal. This is no time to lose your marbles.” I put a hand on his shoulder. “You remember, we were--”

He shook my hand off. “That is not the custom in Vallon,” he said coldly.

“Vallon?” I echoed. “What kind of routine is this, Foster? We were friends when we walked into this room an hour ago. We were hot on the trail of something, and I’m human enough to want to know how it turned out.”

“Where are the others?”

“There’s a couple of ‘others’ in the next room,” I snapped. “But they’ve lost a lot of weight. I can find you several more, in the same condition. Outside of them there’s only me--”

Foster looked at me as if I wasn’t there. “I remember Vallon,” he said. He put a hand to his head. “But I remember, too, a barbaric world, brutal and primitive. You were there. We traveled in a crude rail-car, and then in a barge that wallowed in the sea. There were narrow, ugly rooms, evil odors, harsh noises.”

“That’s not a very flattering portrait of God’s country,” I said, “but I’m afraid I recognize it.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close