A Trace of Memory
Chapter 13

Public Domain

I took the precaution of sneaking up on the lifeboat in the dead of night, but I could have saved myself a crawl. Except for the fact that the camouflage nets had rotted away to shreds, the ship was just as I had left it, doors sealed. Why Smale’s team hadn’t found it, I didn’t know; I’d think that one over when I was well away from Earth.

It had been a long tough trip from Lima to the cañon, but I had made it without interference. I had swapped my platinum finger ring for a beat-up .38 pistol, but I hadn’t had to use it. In a shabby bar in one of the villages I passed through I had heard a battered radio sputtering news; there was no mention of the assault on the island, or of my escape. It seemed that all parties were willing to cover it up and pretend it hadn’t happened.

I went into the post office at Itzenca and picked up the parcel Margareta had mailed me with Foster’s memory-trace in it. While I was checking to see whether Uncle Sam’s minions had intercepted the package and substituted a carrot, I felt something rubbing against my shin. I glanced down and saw a grey and white cat, reasonably clean and obviously hungry. I don’t know whether I’d ploughed through a field of wild catnip the night before or if it was my way with a finger behind the furry ears, but Kitty followed me out of Itzenca and right into the bush. She kept pace with me, leading most of the time, as far as the space boat, and was the first one aboard.

I didn’t waste time with formalities. I had once audited a briefing rod on the boat’s operation--not that I had ever expected to use the information for a take-off. Once aboard, I hit the controls and cut a swathe through the atmosphere that must have sent fingers jumping for panic buttons from Washington to Moscow.

I didn’t know how many weeks or months of unsullied leisure stretched ahead of me now. There would be time and to spare for exploring the boat, working out a daily routine, chewing over the details of both my memories, and laying plans for my arrival on Foster’s world, Vallon. But first I wanted to catch a show that was making a one-night stand for me only: the awe-inspiring spectacle of the retreating earth.

I dropped into a seat opposite the screen and flipped into view the big luminous ball of wool that was my home planet. I’d been hoping to get a last look at my island, but I couldn’t see it. The whole sphere was blanketed in cloud: a thin worn blanket in places but still intact. But the moon was a sight! An undipped Edam cheese with the markings of Roquefort. For a quarter of an hour I watched it grow until it filled my screen. It was too close for comfort. I dumped the tabby out of my lap and adjusted a dial. The dead world swept past, and I had a brief glimpse of burst bubbles of craters that became the eyes and mouth and pock marks of a face on a head that swung away from me in disdain and then the sibling planets dwindled and were gone forever.

The lifeboat was completely equipped, and I found comfortable quarters. An ample food supply was available by the touch of a panel on the table in the screen-room. That was a trick my predecessor with the dental jewelery hadn’t discovered, I guessed. During the courses of my first journey earthward and on my visits to the boat for saleable playthings while she lay in dry-dock, I had discovered most of the available amenities aboard. Now I luxuriated in a steaming bath of recycled water, sponged down with disposable towels packed in scented alcohol, fed the cat and myself, and lay down to sleep for about two weeks.

By the third week I was reasonably refreshed and rested. The scars from my recent brushes with what passed as the law were healed. I had gotten over regretting the toys I’d left behind on my island and the money in my banks in Lima and Switzerland, and even Margareta. I was headed for a new world; there was no point in dragging along old attachments.

The cat was a godsend, I began to realize. I named her Itzenca, after the village where she adopted me, and I talked to her by the hour. I always had felt that there was a subtle difference between talking to somebody else and talking to yourself. The latter gets a little tedious after the first few days but you can keep the other up indefinitely. So Itz got talked to plenty as we rode to the stars.

“Say, Itz,” said I, “where would you like your sand box situated? Right there in front of the TV screen? There’s not much traffic there, since we cleared the solar system. You’d have the place all to yourself.”

No, said Itzenca by a flirt of her tail. And she walked over behind a crate that had never been unloaded on earth.

I pulled out a box of junk and slid the sand box in its place. Itzenca promptly lost interest and instead jumped up on the junk box which fell off the bench and scattered small objects of khaff and metal in all directions.

“Come back here, blast you,” I said, “and help me pick up this stuff.”

Itz bounded after a dull-gleaming silver object that was still rolling. I was there almost as quick as she was and grabbed up the cylinder. Suddenly the horsing around was over. This thing was somebody’s memory.

I dropped onto a bench to examine it, my Vallonian-inspired pulse pounding. “Where the heck did this come from, cat?” I said.

Itz jumped up into my lap and nosed the cylinder. I was trying to hark back to those days three years before when I had loaded the lifeboat with all the loot it would carry, for the trip back to earth.

“Listen, Itz, we’ve got to do some tall remembering. Let’s see: there was a whole rack of blanks in the memory-recharging section of the room where we found the three skeletons. Yeah, now I remember: I pulled this one out of the recorder set, which means it had been used, but not yet color-coded. I showed it to Foster when he was hunting his own trace. He didn’t realize I’d pulled it out of the machine and he thought it was an empty. But I’ll bet you somebody had his mind taped, and then left in a hurry, before the trace could be color-coded and filed.

“On the other hand, maybe it’s a blank that had just been inserted when somebody broke up the play-house ... But wasn’t there something Foster said ... about when he woke up, way back when, with a pile of fresh corpses around him? He gave somebody emergency treatment and to a Vallonian that would include a complete memory-transcription ... Do you realize what I’ve got here in my hand, Itz?”

She looked up at me inquiringly.

“This is what’s left of the guy that Foster buried: his pal, Ammaerln, I think he called him. What’s inside this cylinder used to be tucked away in the skull of the ancient sinner. The guy’s not so dead after all. I’ll bet his family will pay plenty for this trace, and be grateful besides. That’ll be an ace in the hole in case I get too hungry on Vallon.”

I got up and crossed the apartment; Itz followed me out to my sleeping couch. I dropped the trace in a drawer beside Foster’s own memory.

“Wonder how Foster’s making out without his past, Itz? He claimed the one I’ve got here would only be a copy of the original stored at Okk-Hamiloth, but my briefing didn’t say anything about copying memories. He must be somebody pretty important to rate that service.”

Suddenly my eyes were riveted to the markings on Foster’s trace lying in the drawer. “‘Sblood! The royal colors!” I sat down on the bed with a lurch. “Itzenca, old gal, it looks like we’ll be entering Vallonian society from the top. We’ve been consorting with a member of the Vallonian nobility!”

During the days that followed, I tried again and again to raise Foster on the communicator ... without result. I wondered how I’d find him among the millions on the planet. My best bet would be to get settled down in the Vallonian environment, then start making a few inquiries.

I would play it casually: act the part of a Vallonian who had merely been travelling for a few hundred years--which wasn’t unheard of--and play my cards close to my gravy stains until I learned what the score was. With my Vallonian briefing I ought to be able to carry it off. The Vallonians might not like illegal immigrants any better than they did back home, so I’d keep my interesting foreign background to myself.

I would need a new name. I thought over several possibilities and selected “Drgon”. It was as good a Vallonian jawbreaker as any.

I canvassed the emergency wardrobe that was standard equipment on Far-Voyager lifeboats. There was everything from fur-lined parka-type suits for outings on worlds like Pluto to sheer silk one-man-air-conditioner balloon over-alls for stepping out on Venus. In amongst them was a selection of dresses reminiscent of ancient Greece. They had been the sharp style of Vallon when Foster left home. They looked comfortable. I picked one in a sober color, then got busy with the cutting and seaming unit to fit it to my frame. I didn’t plan to attract unnecessary attention with ill-fitting garments when I crossed my first Vallonians.

Itzenca watched with interest. “What the heck am I going to do with you on Vallon?” I asked her. “The only cat on the planet. You may have to put up with an iggrfn for a boy friend,” I said searching my Vallonian memory. “They’re about the nearest thing to you in size and shape ... but they’re kind of objectionable, personality wise.”

I finished off my new duds, then dug through the handicrafts gear and picked out a sheet of khaffite, a copper-like Vallonian alloy that was supposed to have almost the durability of khaff without being so hard to work. There were appropriate tools in the little workshop for shaping it and adding decoration.

“Don’t worry,” I said to Itz. “You won’t go ashore shabbily clad either. You’ll be a knockout in this item.” I parked her on the workbench and sat down to my tools. I clipped out an inch-wide strip of the khaffite, shaped it in a circle, and fitted it with a slip-out catch. After a leisurely meal I spent what passed for an evening etching “ITZENCA” on the new collar with plenty of curlicues. Then I fitted it on her; she didn’t seem to mind a bit.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close