A Trace of Memory
Chapter 15

Public Domain

Gaudy hangings of purple cut the light of the sun to a rich gloom in the enormous, high-vaulted Audience Hall. A rustling murmur was audible in the room as uneasy courtiers and supplicants fidgeted, waiting for the appearance of the Owner.

It had been two months since Gope had explained to me how a formal challenge to an Owner was conducted, and, as he pointed out, this was the only kind of challenge that would help. If I waylaid the man and cut him down, even in a fair fight, his bodyguards would repay the favor before I could establish the claim that I was their legitimate new boss.

I had spent three hours every day in the armory at Rath-Gallion, trading buffets with Gope and a couple of the bodyguards. The thirty-pound slab of edged steel had felt right at home in my hand that first day--for about a minute. I had the borrowed knowledge to give me all the technique I needed, but the muscle power for putting the knowledge into practice was another matter. After five minutes I was slumped against the wall, gulping air, while Gope whistled his sticker around my head and talked.

“You laid on like no piper, good Drgon. Yet have you much to learn in the matter of endurance.”

--And he was at me again. I spent the afternoon back-pedaling and making wild two-handed swings and finally fell down--pooped. I couldn’t have moved if Gope had had at me with a hot poker.

Gope and the others laughed til they cried, then hauled me away to my room and let me sleep. They rolled me out the next morning to go at it again.

As Gope said, there was no time to waste ... and after two months of it I felt ready for anything. Gope had warned me that Owner Qohey was a big fellow, but that didn’t bother me. The bigger they came, the bigger the target...

There was a murmur in a different key in the Audience Hall and tall gilt doors opened at the far side of the room. A couple of liveried flunkies scampered into view, then a seven-foot man-eater stalked into the hall, made his way to the dias, turned to face the crowd...

He was enormous: his neck was as thick as my thigh, his features chipped out of granite, the grey variety. He threw back his brilliant purple cloak from his shoulders and reached out an arm like an oak root for the ceremonial sword one of the flunkies was struggling with. He took the sword with its sheath, sat down, and stood it between his feet, his arms folded on top.

“Who has a grievance?” he spoke. The voice reverberated like the old Wurlitzer at the Rialto back home.

This was my cue. There he was, just asking for it. All I had to do was speak up. Owner Qohey would gladly oblige me. The fact that next to him Primo Carnera would look dainty shouldn’t slow me down.

I cleared my throat with a thin squeak, and edged forward, not very far.

“I have one little item--” I started.

Nobody was listening. Up front a big fellow in a black toga was pushing through the crowd. Everybody turned to stare at him: there was a craning of necks. The crowd drew back from the dias leaving an opening. The man in black stepped into the clear, flung back the flapping garment from his right arm, and whipped out a long polished length of razor-edged iron. It was beginning to look like somebody had beaten me to the punch.

The newcomer stood there in front of Qohey with the naked blade making all the threat that was needed. Qohey stared at him for a long moment, then stood, gestured to a flunky. The flunky turned, cleared his throat.

“The place of Bar-Ponderone has been claimed!” he recited in a shrill voice. “Let the issue be joined!” He skittered out of the way and Qohey rose, threw aside his purple cloak and cowl, and stepped down. I pushed forward to get a better look.

The challenger in black tossed his loose garment aside, stood facing Qohey in a skin-tight jerkin and hose; heavy moccasins of soft leather were laced up the calf. He was magnificently muscled but Qohey towered over him like a tree, with a build that would have taken the Mr. Muscle Beach title any time he cared to try for it.

I didn’t know whether to be glad or sad that the initiative had been taken out from under me. If the man in black won, I wondered would I then be able to step in in turn and take him on? He was a lot smaller than Qohey but there was always the chance...

Qohey unsheathed his fancy iron and whirled it like it was a lady’s putter. I felt sorry for the smaller man, who was just standing, watching him. He really didn’t have a chance.

I had got through to the fore rank by now. The challenger turned and I saw his face. I stopped dead, while fire bells clanged in my head.

The man in black was Foster.


In dead silence Qohey and Foster squared off, touched their sword points to the floor in some kind of salute ... and Qohey’s slicer whipped up in a vicious cut. Foster leaned aside, just far enough, then countered with a flick that made Qohey jump back. I let out a long breath and tried swallowing. Foster was like a terrier up against a bull, but it didn’t seem to bother him--only me. I had come light years to find him, just in time to see him get his head lopped off.

Qohey’s blade flashed, cutting at Foster’s head. Foster hardly moved. Almost effortlessly, it seemed, he interposed his heavy weapon between the attacking steel and himself. Clash, clang! Qohey hacked and chopped ... and Foster played with him. Then Foster’s arm flashed out and there was blood on Qohey’s wrist. A gasp went up from the crowd. Now Foster took a step forward, struck ... and faltered! In an instant Qohey was on him and the two men were locked, chest to chest. For a moment Foster held, then Qohey’s weight told, and Foster reeled back. He tried to bring up the sword, seemed to struggle, then Qohey lashed out again. Foster twisted, took the blow awkwardly just above the hand guard, stumbled ... and fell.

Qohey leaped to him, raised the sword--

I hauled mine half way out of its sheath and pushed forward.

“Let the man be put away from my sight,” rumbled Qohey. He lowered his immense sword, turned, pushed aside a flunky who had bustled up with a wad of bandages. As he strode from the room a swarm of bodyguards fanned out between the crowd and Foster. I could see him clumsily struggling to rise, then I was shoved back, still craning for a glimpse. There was something wrong here; Foster had acted like a man suddenly half-paralyzed. Had Qohey doped him in some way?

The cordon stopped pushing, turned their backs to the crowd. I tugged at the arm of the man beside me.

“Did you see anything strange there?” I started.

He pulled free. “Strange? Yea, the mercy of our Lord Qohey! Instead of meting out death on the spot, our Owner was generous--”

“I mean about the fight.” I grabbed his arm again to keep him from moving off.

“That the impudent rascal would dare to claim the place of Owner at Bar-Ponderone: there’s wonder enough for any man,” he snapped. “Unhand me, fellow!”

I unhanded him and tried to collect my wits. What now? I tapped a bodyguard on the shoulder. He whirled, club in hand.

“What’s to be the fate of the man?” I asked.

“Like the Boss said: they’re gonna immure the bum for his pains.”

“You mean wall him up?”

“Yeah. Just a peep hole to pass chow in every day ... so’s he don’t starve, see?” The bodyguard chuckled.

“How long--?”

“He’ll last; don’t worry. After the Change, Owner Qohey’s got a newman--”

“Shut up,” another bruiser said.

The crowd was slowly thinning. The bodyguards were relaxing, standing in pairs, talking. Two servants moved about where the fight had taken place, making mystical motions in the air above the floor. I edged forward, watching them. They seemed to be plucking imaginary flowers. Strange...

I moved even farther forward to take a closer look, then saw a tiny glint ... A servant hurried across, made gestures. I pushed him aside, groped ... and my fingers encountered a delicate filament of wire. I pulled it in, swept up more. The servants had stopped and stood watching me, muttering. The whole area of the combat was covered with the invisible wires, looping up in coils two feet high.

No wonder Foster had stumbled, had trouble raising his sword. He had been netted, encased in a mesh of incredibly fine tough wire ... and in the dim light even the crowd twenty feet away hadn’t seen it. Owner Qohey was a good man with the chopper but he didn’t rely on that alone to hold onto his job.

I put my hand on my sword hilt, chewed my lower lip. I had found Foster ... but it wouldn’t do me--or Vallon--much good. He was on his way to the dungeons, to be walled up until the next Change. And it would be three months before I could legally make another try for Qohey’s place. After seeing him in action I was glad I hadn’t tried today. He wouldn’t have needed any net to handle me.

I would have to spend the next three months working on my swordplay, and hope Foster could hold out. Maybe I could sneak a message--

A heavy blow on the back sent me spinning. Four bodyguards moved to ring me in, clubs in hand. They were strangers to me, but across the room I saw Torbu looming, looking my way...

“I saw him; he started to pull that fancy sword,” said one of the guards.

“He was asking me questions--”

“Unbuckle it and drop it,” another ordered me. “Don’t try anything!”

“What’s this all about?” I said. “I have a right to wear a Ceremonial Sword at an Audience--”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close