The Status Civilization - Cover

The Status Civilization

Public Domain

Chapter 13

Barrent walked through the narrow, twisting streets of the Quarter, one hand never far from his weapon. He walked among the lame and the blind, past hydrocephaloid and microcephalous idiots, past a juggler who kept twelve flaming torches in the air with the aid of a rudimentary third hand growing out of his chest. There were vendors selling clothing, charms, and jewelry. There were carts loaded with pungent and unsanitary-looking food. He walked past a row of brightly painted brothels. Girls crowded the windows and shrieked at him, and a four-armed, six-legged woman told him he was just in time for the Delphian Rites. Barrent turned away from her and almost ran into a monstrously fat woman who pulled open her blouse to reveal eight shrunken breasts. He ducked around her, moving quickly past four linked Siamese quadruplets who stared at him with huge mournful eyes.

Barrent turned a corner and stopped. A tall, ragged old man with a cane was blocking his way. The man was half-blind; the skin had grown smooth and hairless over the socket where his left eye should have been. But his right eye was sharp and fierce under a white eyebrow.

“You wish the services of a genuine skrenner?” the old man asked.

Barrent nodded.

“Follow me,” the mutant said. He turned into an alley, and Barrent came after him, gripping the butt of his needlebeam tightly. Mutants were forbidden by law to carry arms; but like this old man, most of them had heavy, iron-headed walking sticks. At close quarters, no one could ask for a better weapon.

The old man opened a door and motioned Barrent inside. Barrent paused, thinking about the stories he had heard of gullible citizens falling into mutant hands. Then he half-drew his needlebeam and went inside.

At the end of a long passageway, the old man opened a door and led Barrent into a small, dimly lighted room. As his eyes became accustomed to the dark, Barrent could make out the shapes of two women sitting in front of a plain wooden table. There was a pan of water on the table, and in the pan was a fist-sized piece of glass cut into many facets.

One of the women was very old and completely hairless. The other was young and beautiful. As Barrent moved closer to the table, he saw, with a sense of shock, that her legs were joined below the knee by a membrane of scaly skin, and her feet were of a rudimentary fish-tail shape.

“What do you wish us to skren for you, Citizen Barrent?” the young woman asked.

“How did you know my name?” Barrent asked. When he got no answer, he said, “All right. I want to find out about a murder I committed on Earth.”

“Why do you want to find out about it?” the young woman asked. “Won’t the authorities credit it to your record?”

“They credit it. But I want to find out why I did it. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances. Maybe I did it in self-defense.”

“Is it really important?” the young woman asked.

“I think so,” Barrent said. He hesitated a moment, then took the plunge. “The fact of the matter is, I have a neurotic prejudice against murder. I would rather not kill. So I want to find out why I committed murder on Earth.”

The mutants looked at each other. Then the old man grinned and said, “Citizen, we’ll help you all we can. We mutants also have a prejudice against killing, since it’s always someone else killing us. We’re all in favor of citizens with a neurosis against murder.”

“Then you’ll skren my past?”

“It’s not as easy as that,” the young woman said. “The skrenning ability, which is one of a cluster of psi talents, is difficult to use. It doesn’t always function. And when it does function, it often doesn’t reveal what it’s supposed to.”

“I thought all mutants could look into the past whenever they wanted to,” Barrent said.

“No,” the old man told him, “that isn’t true. For one thing, not all of us who are classified mutants are true mutants. Almost any deformity or abnormality these days is called mutantism. It’s a handy term to cover anyone who doesn’t conform to the Terran standard of appearance.”

“But some of you are true mutants?”

“Certainly. But even then, there are different types of mutantism. Some just show radiation abnormalities--giantism, microcephaly, and the like. Only a few of us possess the slightest psi abilities--although all mutants claim them.”

“Are you able to skren?” Barrent asked him.

“No. But Myla can,” he said, pointing to the young woman. “Sometimes she can.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close