The Status Civilization - Cover

The Status Civilization

Public Domain

Chapter 18

Guards led Barrent from the office of the Awards Committee. He was brought past a row of dungeons under the Arena, and locked into a cell. The guards told him to be patient; the Games had already begun, and his turn would come soon.

There were nine men crammed into a cell which had been built to hold three. Most of them sat or sprawled in complete and silent apathy, already resigned to their deaths. But one of them was definitely not resigned. He pushed his way to the front of the cell as Barrent entered.

“Joe!”

The little credit thief grinned at him. “A sad place to meet, Will.”

“What happened to you?”

“Politics,” Joe said. “It’s a dangerous business on Omega, especially during the time of the Games. I thought I was safe. But...” He shrugged his shoulders. “I was selected for the Games this morning.”

“Is there any chance of getting out of it?”

“There’s a chance,” Joe said. “I told your girl about you, so perhaps her friends can do something. As for me, I’m expecting a reprieve.”

“Is that possible?” Barrent asked.

“Anything is possible. It’s better not to hope for it, though.”

“What are the Games like?” Barrent asked.

“They’re the sort of thing you’d expect,” Joe said. “Man-to-man combats, battles against various types of Omegan flora and fauna, needlebeam and heatgun duels. It’s all copied from an old Earth festival, I’m told.”

“And if anyone survives,” Barrent said, “they’re beyond the law.”

“That’s right.”

“But what does it mean to be beyond the law?”

“I don’t know,” Joe said. “Nobody seems to know much about that. All I could find out is, survivors of the Games are taken by The Black One. It’s not supposed to be pleasant.”

“I can understand that. Very little on Omega is pleasant.”

“It isn’t a bad place,” Joe said. “You just haven’t the proper spirit of--”

He was interrupted by the arrival of a detachment of guards. It was time for the occupants of Barrent’s cell to enter the Arena.

“No reprieve,” Barrent said.

“Well, that’s how it goes,” Joe said.

They were marched out under heavy guard and lined up at the iron door that separated the cell block from the main Arena. Just before the captain of the guards opened the door, a fat, well-dressed man came hurrying down a side corridor waving a paper.

“What’s this?” the captain of the guards asked.

“A writ of recognizance,” the fat man said, handing his paper to the captain. “On the other side, you’ll find a cease-and-desist order.” He pulled more papers out of his pockets. “And here is a bankruptcy-transferral notice, a chattel mortgage, a writ of habeas corpus, and a salary attachment.”

The captain pushed back his helmet and scratched his narrow forehead. “I can never understand what you lawyers are talking about. What does it mean?”

“It releases him,” the fat man said, pointing to Joe.

The captain took the papers, gave them a single puzzled glance, and handed them to an aide. “All right,” he said, “take him with you. But it wasn’t like this in the old days. Nothing stopped the orderly progression of the Games.”

Grinning triumphantly, Joe stepped through the ranks of guards and joined the fat lawyer. He asked him, “Do you have any papers for Will Barrent?”

“None,” the lawyer said. “His case is in different hands. I’m afraid it might not be completely processed until after the Games are over.”

“But I’ll probably be dead then,” Barrent said.

“That, I can assure you, won’t stop the papers from being properly served,” the fat lawyer said proudly. “Dead or alive, you will retain all your rights.”

The captain of the guards said, “All right, let’s go.”

“Luck,” Joe called out. And then the line of prisoners had passed through the iron door into the glaring light of the Arena.


Barrent lived through the hand-to-hand duels in which a quarter of the prisoners were killed. After that, men armed with swords were matched against the deadlier Omegan fauna. The beasts they fought included the hintolyte and the hintosced--big-jawed, heavily armored monsters whose natural habitat was the desert region far to the south of Tetrahyde. Fifteen men later, these beasts were dead. Barrent was matched with a Saunus, a flying black reptile from the western mountains. For a while he was hard-pressed by this ugly, poison-toothed creature. But in time he figured out a solution. He stopped trying to jab the Saunus’s leathery hide and concentrated on severing its broad fan of tailfeathers. When he had succeeded, the Saunus’s flying balance was thrown badly off. The reptile crashed into the high wall that separated the combatants from the spectators, and it was relatively easy to administer the final stroke through the Saunus’s single huge eye. The vast and enthusiastic crowd in the stadium gave Barrent a lengthy round of applause.

He moved back to the reserve pen and watched other men struggle against the trichomotreds, incredibly fast little creatures the size of rats, with the dispositions of rabid wolverines. It took five teams of prisoners. After a brief interlude of hand-to-hand duelling, the Arena was cleared again.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close