The Status Civilization - Cover

The Status Civilization

Public Domain

Chapter 25

In the morning, the friendly oak tree dispensed breakfast and shaving equipment. Barrent ate, washed and shaved, and set out for the nearest town. He had his objectives firmly in mind. He had to establish some sort of foolproof disguise, and he had to make contact with Earth’s underground. When this was accomplished, he had to find out as much as he could about Earth’s secret police, military dispositions, and the like.

Group Two had worked out a procedure for accomplishing these objectives. As Barrent came to the outskirts of a town, he hoped that the Group’s methods would work. So far, the Earth he was on had very little resemblance to the Earth which the Group had reconstructed.

He walked down interminable streets lined with small white cottages. At first, he thought every house looked the same. Then he realized that each had one or two small architectural differences. But instead of distinguishing the houses, these niggling differences simply served to point up the monotonous similarities. There were hundreds of these cottages, stretching as far as he could see, each of them set upon a little plot of carefully tended grass. Their genteel sameness depressed him. Unexpectedly he missed the ridiculous, clumsy, make-shift individuality of Omegan buildings.

He reached a shopping center. The stores repeated the pattern set by the houses. They were low, discreet, and very similar. Only a close inspection of window displays revealed differences between a food store and a sports shop. He passed a small building with a sign that read, ROBOT CONFESSIONAL--Open 24 hours a day. It seemed to be some sort of church.

The procedure set by Group Two for locating the underground on Earth was simple and straightforward. Revolutionaries, he had been told, are found in greatest quantity among a civilization’s most depressed elements. Poverty breeds dissatisfaction; the have-nots want to take from those who have. Therefore, the logical place to look for subversion is in the slums.

It was a good theory. The trouble was, Barrent couldn’t find any slums. He walked for hours, past neat stores and pleasant little homes, playgrounds and parks, scrupulously tended farms, and then past more houses and stores. Nothing looked much better or worse than anything else.

By evening, he was tired and footsore. As far as he could tell, he had discovered nothing of significance. Before he could penetrate any deeper into the complexities of Earth, he would have to question the local citizens. It was a dangerous step, but one which he could not avoid.

He stood near a clothing store in the gathering dusk and decided upon a course of action. He would pose as a foreigner, a man newly arrived in North America from Asia or Europe. In that way, he should be able to ask questions with a measure of safety.

A man was walking toward him, a plump, ordinary-looking fellow in a brown business tunic. Barrent stopped him. “I beg your pardon,” he said. “I’m a stranger here, just arrived from Rome.”

“Really?” the man said.

“Yes. I’m afraid I don’t understand things over here very well,” Barrent said, with an apologetic little laugh. “I can’t seem to find any cheap hotels. If you could direct me--”

“Citizen, do you feel all right?” the man asked, his face hardening.

“As I said, I’m a foreigner, and I’m looking--”

“Now look,” the man said, “you know as well as I do that there aren’t any outlanders any more.”

“There aren’t?”

“Of course not. I’ve been in Rome. It’s just like here in Wilmington. Same sort of houses and stores. No one’s an outlander any more.”

Barrent couldn’t think of anything to say. He smiled nervously.

“Furthermore,” the man said, “there are no cheap lodgings anywhere on Earth. Why should there be? Who would stay in them?”

“Who indeed?” Barrent said. “I guess I’ve had a little too much to drink.”

“No one drinks any more,” the man said. “I don’t understand. What sort of a game is this?”

“What sort of a game do you think it is?” Barrent asked, falling back on a technique which the Group had recommended.

The man stared at him, frowning. “I think I get it,” he said. “You must be an Opinioner.”

“Mmm,” Barrent said, noncommittally.

“Sure, that’s it,” the man said. “You’re one of those citizens goes around asking people’s opinions. For surveys and that sort of thing. Right?”

“You’ve made a very intelligent guess,” Barrent said.

“Well, I don’t suppose it was too hard. Opinioners are always walking around trying to get people’s attitudes on things. I would have spotted you right away if you’d been wearing Opinioners’ clothing.” The man started to frown again. “How come you aren’t dressed like an Opinioner?”

“I just graduated,” Barrent said. “Haven’t had a chance to get the clothes.”

“Oh. Well, you should get the proper wear,” the man said sententiously. “How can a citizen tell your status?”

“Just a test sampling,” Barrent said. “Thank you for your cooperation, sir. Perhaps I’ll have a chance to interview you again in the near future.”

“Any time,” the man said. He nodded politely and walked off.

Barrent thought about it, and decided that the occupation of Opinioner was perfect for him. It would give him the all-important right to ask questions, to meet people, to find out how Earth lived. He would have to be careful, of course, not to reveal his ignorance. But working with circumspection, he should have a general knowledge of this civilization in a few days.

First, he would have to buy Opinioners’ clothing. That seemed to be important. The trouble was, he had no money with which to pay for it. The Group had been unable to duplicate Earth money; they couldn’t even remember what it looked like.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close