The Wailing Asteroid - Cover

The Wailing Asteroid

Public Domain

Chapter 9

Burke found her, rooted to the spot. He had a small metal box in his hand. He didn’t notice her pallor nor that she trembled.

“I may have something,” he said with careful calm. “The case had this in it. There’s a black cube in the box. The case seems to have been made to hold and call attention to this cube. I’ll take it up to the instrument-room and use a reader on it.”

He led the way. Sandy followed, her throat dry. She knew, of course, that he was under almost intolerable emotional strain. He’d brought her along to be with her for a few moments, but he was so tense that he could think of nothing personal to say. Now it was not possible for him to talk of anything at all.

Yet Sandy realized that even under the stress that pressed upon him, he’d asked her to go look for tools in the gravity-machine room because she’d spoken of possible danger in the opening of the case. He’d gotten her away while he opened it.

When they reached the ship-lock he said briefly, “I want to hurry, Sandy. Wait for me in the ship?”

She nodded, and went to the small spacecraft which had brought them all from Earth.

When she saw Pam, inside, she said shakily, “Is--anybody else here?”

“No,” said Pam. “Why?”

Sandy sat down and shivered.

“I think,” she said through chattering teeth, “I think I’m going to have hysterics. L-listen, Pam! I--I saw something alive! It was like a bird this high and big as a--There aren’t any birds like that! There can’t be anything alive here but us! But I saw it! And it saw me and ran away!”

Pam stared and asked questions, at first soothing ones. But presently she was saying indignantly, “I do believe it! That’s near the place where I smelled fresh air!”

Of course, fresh air in the asteroid, two hundred and seventy million miles from Earth, was as impossible as what Sandy had seen.

Holmes came in presently, depressed and tired. He’d been filling his mind with the contents of black cubes. He knew how cooking was done in the kitchens of the fortress, some eons since. He knew how to prepare for inspection of the asteroid by a high-ranking officer. He was fully conversant with the bugle-calls once used in the fortress in the place of a public-address loud-speaker system. But he’d found no hint of how the fortress received its supplies, nor how the air was freshened, nor how reinforcements of men used to reach the asteroid. He was discouraged and vexed and weary.

“Sandy,” said Pam challengingly, “saw a live bird, bigger than a goose, in the gravity-machine room.”

Holmes shrugged.

“Keller’s fidgeting,” he observed, “because he thinks he’s seen movements in the vision-plates that show different inside views of this thing. But he isn’t sure that he’s seen anything move. Maybe we’re all going out of our minds.”

“Then Joe’s closest,” said Pam darkly. “He worries about Sandy!”

“And very reasonably,” said Holmes tiredly. “Pam, this business of figuring that there’s something deadly on the way and nothing to do about it--it’s got me down!”

He slumped in a chair. Pam frowned at him. Sandy sat perfectly still, her hands clenched.

Burke came back twenty minutes later. His expression was studiedly calm.

“I’ve found out where the garrison went,” he said matter-of-factly. “I’m afraid we can’t get any help from them. Or anybody else.”

Sandy looked at him mutely. He was completely self-controlled, and he did not look like a man resolutely refusing to despair, but Sandy knew him. To her it seemed that his eyes had sunk a little in his head.

“Apparently there’s nobody left on the world the garrison came from,” said Burke in the tone of someone saying perfectly commonplace things, “so they didn’t go back there and there’s no use in our trying to make a contact with that world. This was an outpost fortress, you know. It was reached from somewhere far away, and carved out and armed to fight an enemy that didn’t attack it for itself, but to get at the world or worlds that made it.”

He continued with immoderate calm, “I believe the home world of that civilization has two moons in its sky and something off at the horizon that looks like a hill, but isn’t.”

“But--”

“The garrison left,” explained Burke, “because it was abandoned. It was left behind to stand off the Enemy, and the civilization it belonged to moved away. It was left without supplies, without equipment, without hope. It was left behind even without training to face abandonment, because its members had been trained by black cubes and only knew how to do their own highly special jobs by rote. They were just ordinary soldiers, like the Roman detachments left behind when the legions marched south from Hadrian’s Wall and sailed for Gaul. So when there was nothing left for them to do but leave their post or starve--because they couldn’t follow the civilization that had abandoned them--they left. The cube in the box was a message they set up for their former rulers and fellow-citizens if they ever returned. It’s not a pretty message!”

Sandy swallowed.

“Where’d they go? What happened to them?”

“They went to Earth,” said Burke tonelessly. “By twos and fives and dozens, in the service ships that came out with meat, and took back passengers. The service ships had been assigned to bring out what meat the hunting-parties could kill. They took back men who were fighters and ready to face mammoths or sabre tooth tigers or anything else. Just the same, they left a transmitter to call them back if the Enemy ever came again. But it didn’t come in their lifetimes, and their descendants forgot. But the transmitter remembered. It called to them. And--we were the ones to answer!”

Sandy hesitated a moment.

“But if the garrison went to Earth,” she said dubiously, “what became of them? There aren’t any traces--”

“We’re traces,” said Burke. “They were our ancestors of ten or twenty thousand years ago. They couldn’t build a civilization. They were fighting men! Could the Romans left behind at Hadrian’s Wall keep up the culture of Rome? Of course not! The garrison went to Earth and turned savage, and their children’s children’s children built up a new civilization. And for here and for now, we’re it. We’ve got to face the Enemy and drive him back.”

He stopped, and said in a tone that was almost completely steady and held no hint of despair, “It’s going to be quite a job. But it’s an emergency. We’ve got to manage it somehow.”

There was also an emergency on Earth, not simplified as in space by having somebody like Burke accept the burden of meeting it. The emergency stemmed from the fact that despite the best efforts of the air arm of the United States, Burke and the others had gotten out to space. They’d reached the asteroid M-387. Naturally. The United States thereupon took credit for this most creditable achievement. Inevitably. And it was instantly and frantically denounced for suspected space-imperialism, space-monopoly, and intended space-exploitation.

But when Keller’s painstaking instructions for the building of gravity-field detectors reached Earth, these suspicions seemed less plausible. The United States passed on the instructions. The basic principle was so new that nobody could claim it, but it was so simple that many men felt a wholesome shame that they had not thought of it before. Nobody could question a natural law which was so obvious once it was stated. And the building of the device required next to no time at all.

Within days then, where the asteroid had a single ten-foot instrument, the United States had a ten-foot, a thirty-foot and a sixty-foot gravity-field detector available to qualified researchers. The new instruments gave data such as no astronomer had ever hoped for before. The thirty-foot disk, tuned for short range, pictured every gravitational field in the solar system. A previously unguessed-at Saturnian moon, hidden in the outer ring, turned up. All the asteroids could be located at one instant. The mystery of the inadequate mass of Pluto was solved within hours of turning on the thirty-foot device.

When the sixty-foot instrument went on, scaled to take in half a hundred light-years of space, the solar system was a dot on it. But four dark stars, one with planets, and twenty-odd planetary systems were mapped within a day. On that same day, though, a query went back to Keller. What, said the query, was the meaning of certain crawling, bright-red specks in mathematically exact relationship to each other, which were visibly in motion and much closer to Earth than Alpha Centaurus? Alpha Centaurus had always been considered the closest of all stars to Earth. Under magnification the bright-red sparks wove and interwove their paths as if about a common center of gravity. If such a thing were not impossible, it would be guessed that they were suns so close together as to revolve about one another within hours. Even more preposterously, they moved through space at a rate which was a multiple of the speed of light. Thirty light-speeds, of course, could not be. And the direction of their motion seemed to be directly toward the glowings which represented the solar system containing Earth. All this was plainly absurd. But what was the cause of this erroneous report from the new device?

Keller wrote out very neatly, “_The instrument here shows the same phenomenon. Its appearance much farther away triggered the transmitter here to send the first signals to Earth. Data suggests red dots represent artificial gravity-fields strong enough to warp space and produce new spatial constants including higher speed for light, hence possible higher speed for spacecraft carrying artificial gravity generators. Request evaluation this possibility._”

Pam coded it and sent it to Earth. And presently, on Earth, astronomers looked at each other helplessly. Because Keller had stated the only possible explanation. Objects like real suns, if so close together, would tear each other to bits and fuse in flaming novas. Moreover, the pattern of motion of the red-spark-producing objects could not have come into being of itself. It was artificial. There was a group of Things in motion toward Earth’s solar system. They would arrive within so many days. They were millions of miles apart, but their gravity-fields were so strong that they orbited each other within hours. If they had gravity-fields, they had mass, which could be as artificial as their gravity. And, whirling about each other in the maddest of dances, ten suns passing through the human solar system could leave nothing but debris behind them.

Oddly enough, the ships that made those gravity-fields might be so small as to be beyond the power of a telescope to detect at a few thousand miles. The destruction of all the solar planets and the sun itself might be accomplished by motes. They would not need to use power for destruction. Gravitation is not expended any more than magnetism, when something is attracted by it. The artificial gravity-fields would only need to be built up. They had been. Once created, they could exist forever without need for added power, just as the sun and planets do not expend power for their mutual attraction, and as the Earth parts with no energy to keep its moon a captive.

The newspapers did not publish this news. But, very quietly, every civilized government on Earth got instructions for the making of a gravity-field detector. Most had them built. And then for the first time in human history there was an actual and desperately honest attempt to poll all human knowledge and all human resources for a common human end. For once, no eminent figure assumed the undignified pose involved in standing on one’s dignity. For once, the public remained unworried and undisturbed while the heads of states aged visibly.

Naturally some of the people in the secret frantically demanded that the five in the fortress solve the problem all the science of Earth could not even attack. Incredible lists of required information items went out to Burke and Keller and Holmes. Keller read the lists calmly and tried to answer the questions that seemed to make sense. Holmes doggedly spent all his time experiencing cubes in the hope that by sheer accident he might come upon something useful. Pam, scowling, coded and decoded without pause. And Sandy looked anxiously at Burke.

“I’m going to ask you to do something for me,” she said. “When we went down to the Lower Levels, I thought I saw something moving. Something alive.”

“Nerves,” said Burke. “There couldn’t be anything alive in this place. Not after so many years without air.”

“I know,” acknowledged Sandy. “I know it’s ridiculous. But Pam’s felt creepy, too, as if there were something deadly somewhere in the rooms we’ve never been in.”

Burke moved his head impatiently. “Well?”

“Holmes found some hand-weapons,” said Sandy. “They don’t work, of course. Will you fix one for Pam and one for me so that they do?” She paused and added, “Of course it doesn’t matter whether we’re frightened or not, considering. It doesn’t even matter whether there is something alive. It doesn’t matter if we’re killed. But it would be pleasant not to feel defenseless.”

Burke shrugged. “I’ll fix them.”

She put three of the transparent-barreled weapons before him and said, “I’m going up to the instrument-room and help Pam with her coding.”

She went out. Burke took the three hand-weapons and looked at them without interest. But in a technician of any sort there is always some response to a technical problem. A trivial thing like a hand-weapon out of order could hold Burke’s attention simply because it did not refer to the coming disaster.

He loosened the hand-grip plates and looked at the completely simple devices inside the weapons. There was a tiny battery, of course. In thousands of years its electrolyte had evaporated. Burke replaced it from the water stores of the ship. He did the same to the other two weapons. Then, curious, he stepped out of the ship’s air-lock and aimed at the ship-lock wall. He pressed the trigger. There was a snapping sound and a fragment of rock fell. He tried the others. They fired something. It was not a bullet. The barrels of the weapons, on inspection, were not hollow. They were solid. The weapons fired a thrust, a push, an immaterial blow which was concentrated on a tiny spot. They punched, with nothing solid to do the punching.

“Probably punch a hole right through a man,” said Burke, reflectively.

He took the three weapons and went toward the instrument-room. On the way, his mind went automatically back to the coming destruction. It was completely arbitrary. The Enemy had no reason to destroy the human race in this solar system. Men, here, had lost all recollection of their origin and assuredly all memory of enmities known before memory began. If any tradition remained of the fortress, even, it would be hidden in tales of a Golden Age before Pandora was, or of an Age of Innocence when all things came without effort. Those stories were changed out of all semblance to their foundations, of course, as ever-more-ignorant and ever-more-unsophisticated generations retold them. Perhaps the Golden Age was a garbled memory of a time when machines performed tasks for men--before the machines wore out and could not be replaced without other machines to make them. Perhaps the slow development of tools, with which men did things that machines formerly did for them, blurred the accounts of times when men did not need to use tools. Even the everywhere-present traditions of a long, long journey in a boat--the flood legends--might be the last trace of grand-sires’ yarns about a journey to Earth. It would have been modified by successive generations who could not imagine a journey through emptiness, and therefore devised a flood as a more scientific and reasonable explanation for myths plainly overlaid with fantasy and superstition.

Burke went into the instrument-room as Sandy was asking, “But how did they? We haven’t found any ship-lock except the one we came in by! And if a ship can’t travel faster than light without wrapping artificial mass about itself...”

Holmes had taken off his helmet He said doggedly, “There’s nothing about ships in the cubes. Anyhow, the nearest other sun is four light-years away. Nobody’d try to carry all the food a whole colony would need from as far away as that! If they’d used ships for supply, there’d have been hydroponic gardens all over the place to ease the load the ships had to carry! There was some other way to get stuff here!”

“Whatever it was, it didn’t bring meat from Earth. That was hauled out, fastened to the outside of service-boats.”

“Another thing,” Holmes said. “There were thousands of people in the garrison, here. How did the air get renewed? Nobody’s found any mention of air-purifying apparatus in the cubes. There’s been no sign of any! An emergency air-supply, yes. It was let loose when we came into the ship-lock. But there’s no regular provision for purifying the air and putting oxygen into it and breaking down the CO_!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close