Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 9: Monster Killing

There was a man in the turret, waiting to help me. He had a clip of five rounds in the gun, the searchlight on, and the viewscreen tuned to the forward pickup. After checking the gun and loading the chamber, I looked in that, and in the distance, lighted by the boat above and the searchlight of the Javelin, I saw a long neck with a little head on the end of it weaving about. We were making straight for it, losing altitude and speed as we went.

Then the neck dipped under the water and a little later reappeared, coming straight for the advancing light. The forward gun went off, shaking the ship with its recoil, and the head ducked under again. There was a spout from the shell behind it.

I took my eyes from the forward screen and looked out the rear window, ready to shove my face into the sight-mask. An instant later, the head and neck reappeared astern of us. I fired, without too much hope of hitting anything, and then the ship was rising and circling.

As soon as I’d fired, the monster had sounded, headfirst. I fired a second shot at his tail, in hope of crippling his steering gear, but that was a clean miss, too, and then the ship was up to about five thousand feet. My helper pulled out the partly empty clip and replaced it with a full one, giving me five and one in the chamber.

If I’d been that monster, I thought, I’d have kept on going till I was a couple of hundred miles away from this place; but evidently that wasn’t the way monsters thought, if thinking is what goes on inside a brain cavity the size of a quart bottle in a head the size of two oil drums on a body as big as the ship that was hunting him. He’d found a lot of gulpers and funnelmouths, and he wasn’t going to be chased away from his dinner by somebody shooting at him.

I wondered why they didn’t eat screwfish, instead of the things that preyed on them. Maybe they did and we didn’t know it. Or maybe they just didn’t like screwfish. There were a lot of things we didn’t know about sea-monsters.

For that matter, I wondered why we didn’t grow tallow-wax by carniculture. We could grow any other animal matter we wanted. I’d often thought of that.

The monster wasn’t showing any inclination to come to the surface again, and finally Joe Kivelson’s voice came out of the intercom:

“Run in the guns and seal ports. Secure for submersion. We’re going down and chase him up.”

My helper threw the switch that retracted the gun and sealed the gun port. I checked that and reported, “After gun secure.” Hans Cronje’s voice, a moment later, said, “Forward gun secure,” and then Ramón Llewellyn said, “Ship secure; ready to submerge.”

Then the Javelin began to settle, and the water came up over the window. I didn’t know what the radar was picking up. All I could see was the screen and the window; water lighted for about fifty feet in front and behind. I saw a cloud of screwfish pass over and around us, spinning rapidly as they swam as though on lengthwise axis--they always spin counterclockwise, never clockwise. A couple of funnelmouths were swimming after them, overtaking and engulfing them.

Then the captain yelled, “Get set for torpedo,” and my helper and I each grabbed a stanchion. A couple of seconds later it seemed as though King Neptune himself had given the ship a poke in the nose; my hands were almost jerked loose from their hold. Then she swung slowly, nosing up and down, and finally Joe Kivelson spoke again:

“We’re going to surface. Get set to run the guns out and start shooting as soon as we’re out of the water.”

“What happened?” I asked my helper.

“Must have put the torp right under him and lifted him,” he said. “He could be dead or stunned. Or he could be live and active and spoiling for a fight.”

That last could be trouble. The Times had run quite a few stories, some with black borders, about ships that had gotten into trouble with monsters. A hunter-ship is heavy and it is well-armored--install hyperdrive engines in one, and you could take her from here to Terra--but a monster is a tough brute, and he has armor of his own, scales an inch or so thick and tougher than sole leather. A lot of chair seats around Port Sandor are made of single monster scales. A monster strikes with its head, like a snake. They can smash a ship’s boat, and they’ve been known to punch armor-glass windows out of their frames. I didn’t want the window in front of me coming in at me with a monster head the size of a couple of oil drums and full of big tusks following it.

The Javelin came up fast, but not as fast as the monster, which seemed to have been injured only in his disposition. He was on the surface already, about fifty yards astern of us, threshing with his forty-foot wing-fins, his neck arched back to strike. I started to swing my gun for the chest shot Joe Kivelson had recommended as soon as it was run out, and then the ship was swung around and tilted up forward by a sudden gust of wind. While I was struggling to get the sights back on the monster, the ship gave another lurch and the cross hairs were right on its neck, about six feet below the head. I grabbed the trigger, and as soon as the shot was off, took my eyes from the sights. I was just a second too late to see the burst, but not too late to see the monster’s neck jerk one way out of the smoke puff and its head fly another. A second later, the window in front of me was splashed with blood as the headless neck came down on our fantail.

Immediately, two rockets jumped from the launcher over the gun turret, planting a couple of harpoons, and the boat, which had been circling around since we had submerged, dived into the water and passed under the monster, coming up on the other side dragging another harpoon line. The monster was still threshing its wings and flogging with its headless neck. It takes a monster quite a few minutes to tumble to the fact that it’s been killed. My helper was pounding my back black and blue with one hand and trying to pump mine off with the other, and I was getting an ovation from all over the ship. At the same time, a couple more harpoons went into the thing from the ship, and the boat put another one in from behind.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close