Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 12: Castaways Working

We had been away from the boat for about two hours; when we got back, I saw that Abdullah and his helpers had gotten the deck plates off the engine well and used them to build a more substantial barricade at the ruptured stern. The heater was going and the boat was warm inside, not just relatively to the outside, but actually comfortable. It was even more crowded, however, because there was a ton of collapsium shielding, in four sections, and the generator and power unit, piled in the middle. Abdullah and Tom and Hans Cronje were looking at the converters, which to my not very knowing eye seemed to be in a hopeless mess.

There was some more work going on up at the front. Cesário Vieira had found a small portable radio that wasn’t in too bad condition, and had it apart. I thought he was doing about the most effective work of anybody, and waded over the pile of engine parts to see what he was doing. It wasn’t much of a radio. A hundred miles was the absolute limit of its range, at least for sending.

“Is this all we have?” I asked, looking at it. It was the same type as the one I carried on the job, camouflaged in a camera case, except that it wouldn’t record.

“There’s the regular boat radio, but it’s smashed up pretty badly. I was thinking we could do something about cannibalizing one radio out of parts from both of them.”

We use a lot of radio equipment on the Times, and I do a good bit of work on it. I started taking the big set apart and then remembered the receiver for the locator and got at that, too. The trouble was that most of the stuff in all the sets had been miniaturized to a point where watchmaker’s tools would have been pretty large for working on them, and all we had was a general-repair kit that was just about fine enough for gunsmithing.

While we were fooling around with the radios, Ramón Llewellyn was telling the others what we found up the other branch of the fjord. Joe Kivelson shook his head over it.

“That’s too far from the boat. We can’t trudge back and forth to work on the engines. We could cut firewood down there and float it up with the lifters, and I think that’s a good idea about using slabs of the soft wood to build a hut. But let’s build the hut right here.”

“Well, suppose I take a party down now and start cutting?” the mate asked.

“Not yet. Wait till Abe gets back and we see what he found upstream. There may be something better up there.”

Tom, who had been poking around in the converters, said:

“I think we can forget about the engines. This is a machine-shop job. We need parts, and we haven’t anything to make them out of or with.”

That was about what I’d thought. Tom knew more about lift-and-drive engines than I’d ever learn, and I was willing to take his opinion as confirmation of my own.

“Tom, take a look at this mess,” I said. “See if you can help us with it.”

He came over, looked at what we were working on, and said, “You need a magnifier for this. Wait till I see something.” Then he went over to one of the lockers, rummaged in it, and found a pair of binoculars. He came over to us again, sat down, and began to take them apart. As soon as he had the two big objective lenses out, we had two fairly good magnifying glasses.

That was a big help, but being able to see what had to be done was one thing, and having tools to do it was another. So he found a sewing kit and a piece of emery stone, and started making little screwdrivers out of needles.

After a while, Abe Clifford and Piet Dumont and the other man returned and made a beeline for the heater and the coffeepot. After Abe was warmed a little, he said:

“There’s a little waterfall about half a mile up. It isn’t too hard to get up over it, and above, the ground levels off into a big bowl-shaped depression that looks as if it had been a lake bottom, once. The wind isn’t so bad up there, and this whole lake bottom or whatever it is is grown up with trees. It would be a good place to make a camp, if it wasn’t so far from the boat.”

“How hard would it be to cut wood up there and bring it down?” Joe asked, going on to explain what he had in mind.

“Why, easy. I don’t think it would be nearly as hard as the place Ramón found.”

“Neither do I,” the mate agreed. “Climbing up that waterfall down the stream with a half tree trunk would be a lot harder than dropping one over beside the one above.” He began zipping up his parka. “Let’s get the cutter and the lifters and go up now.”

“Wait till I warm up a little, and I’ll go with you,” Abe said.

Then he came over to where Cesário and Tom and I were working, to see what we were doing. He chucked appreciatively at the midget screwdrivers and things Tom was making.

“I’ll take that back, Ramón,” he said. “I can do a lot more good right here. Have you taken any of the radio navigational equipment apart, yet?” he asked us.

We hadn’t. We didn’t know anything about it.

“Well, I think we can get some stuff out of the astrocompass that can be used. Let me in here, will you?”

I got up. “You take over for me,” I said. “I’ll go on the wood-chopping detail.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close