Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 13: The Beacon Light

We all said, “Shooting!” and, “The machine gun!” as though we had to tell each other what it was.

“Something’s attacking them,” Cesário guessed.

“Oh, there isn’t anything to attack them now,” Abe said. “All the critters are dug in for the winter. I’ll bet they’re just using it to chop wood with.”

That could be; a few short bursts would knock off all the soft wood from one of those big billets and expose the hard core. Only why didn’t they use the cutter? It was at the boat now.

“We better go see what it is,” Cesário insisted. “It might be trouble.”

None of us was armed; we’d never thought we’d need weapons. There are quite a few Fenrisian land animals, all creepers or crawlers, that are dangerous, but they spend the extreme hot and cold periods in burrows, in almost cataleptic sleep. It occurred to me that something might have burrowed among the rocks near the camp and been roused by the heat of the fire.

We hadn’t carried a floodlight with us--there was no need for one in the moonlight. Of the two at camp, one was pointed up the ravine toward us, and the other into the air. We began yelling as soon as we caught sight of them, not wanting to be dusted over lightly with 7-mm’s before anybody recognized us. As soon as the men at the camp heard us, the shooting stopped and they started shouting to us. Then we could distinguish words.

“Come on in! We made contact!”

We pushed into the hut, where everybody was crowded around the underhatch of the boat, which was now the side door. Abe shoved through, and I shoved in after him. Newsman’s conditioned reflex; get to where the story is. I even caught myself saying, “Press,” as I shoved past Abdullah Monnahan.

“What happened?” I asked, as soon as I was inside. I saw Joe Kivelson getting up from the radio and making place for Abe. “Who did you contact?”

“The Mahatma; Helldiver,” he said. “Signal’s faint, but plain; they’re trying to make a directional fix on us. There are about a dozen ships out looking for us: Helldiver, Pequod, Bulldog, Dirty Gertie...” He went on naming them.

“How did they find out?” I wanted to know. “Somebody pick up our Mayday while we were cruising submerged?”

Abe Clifford was swearing into the radio. “No, of course not. We don’t know where in Nifflheim we are. All the instruments in the boat were smashed.”

“Well, can’t you shoot the stars, Abe?” The voice--I thought it was Feinberg’s--was almost as inaudible as a cat’s sneeze.

“Sure we can. If you’re in range of this makeshift set, the position we’d get would be practically the same as yours,” Abe told him. “Look, there’s a floodlight pointed straight up. Can you see that?”

“In all this moonlight? We could be half a mile away and not see it.”

“We’ve been firing with a 7-mm,” the navigator said.

“I know; I heard it. On the radio. Have you got any rockets? Maybe if you shot one of them up we could see it.”

“Hey, that’s an idea! Hans, have we another rocket with an explosive head?”

Cronje said we had, and he and another man got it out and carried it from the boat. I repeated my question to Joe Kivelson.

“No. Your Dad tried to call the Javelin by screen; that must have been after we abandoned ship. He didn’t get an answer, and put out a general call. Nip Spazoni was nearest, and he cruised around and picked up the locator signal and found the wreck, with the boat berth blown open and the boat gone. Then everybody started looking for us.”

Feinberg was saying that he’d call the other ships and alert them. If the Helldiver was the only ship we could contact by radio, the odds were that if they couldn’t see the rocket from Feinberg’s ship, nobody else could. The same idea must have occurred to Abe Clifford.

“You say you’re all along the coast. Are the other ships west or east of you?”

“West, as far as I know.”

“Then we must be way east of you. Where are you now?”

“About five hundred miles east of Sancerre Bay.”

That meant we must be at least a thousand miles east of the bay. I could see how that happened. Both times the boat had surfaced, it had gone straight up, lift and drive operating together. There is a constant wind away from the sunlight zone at high level, heated air that has been lifted, and there is a wind at a lower level out of the dark zone, coming in to replace it. We’d gotten completely above the latter and into the former.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close