Four-day Planet - Cover

Four-day Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 17: Tallow-Wax Fire

Now that we were out of the traffic jam, I could poke along and use the camera myself. The wax was stacked in piles twenty feet high, which gave thirty feet of clear space above them, but the section where they had been piled was badly cut up by walls and full of small extra columns to support the weight of the pulp plant above and the carniculture vats on the level over that. However, the piles themselves weren’t separated by any walls, and the fire could spread to the whole stock of wax. There were more men and vehicles on the job than room for them to work. I passed over the heads of the crowd around the edges and got onto a comparatively unobstructed side where I could watch and get views of the fire fighters pulling down the big skins of wax and loading them onto contragravity skids to be hauled away. It still wasn’t too hot to work unshielded, and they weren’t anywhere near the burning stacks, but the fire seemed to be spreading rapidly. The dredger and the three shielded derricks hadn’t gotten into action yet.

I circled around clockwise, dodging over, under and around the skids and lorries hauling wax out of danger. They were taking them into the section through which I had brought the jeep a few minutes before, and just dumping them on top of the piles of mineral nutrients.

The operation seemed to be directed from an improvised headquarters in the area that had been cleared of ammunition. There were a couple of view screens and a radio, operated by women. I saw one of the teachers I’d gone to school to a few years ago, and Joe Kivelson’s wife, and Oscar Fujisawa’s current girl friend, and Sigurd Ngozori’s secretary, and farther off there was an equally improvised coffee-and-sandwich stand. I grounded the jeep, and Murell and I got out and went over to the headquarters. Joe Kivelson seemed to be in charge.

I have, I believe, indicated here and there that Joe isn’t one of our mightier intellects. There are a lot of better heads, but Joe can be relied upon to keep his, no matter what is happening or how bad it gets. He was sitting on an empty box, his arm in a now-filthy sling, and one of Mohandas Feinberg’s crooked black cigars in his mouth. Usually, Joe smokes a pipe, but a cigar’s less bother for a temporarily one-armed man. Standing in front of him, like a schoolboy in front of the teacher, was Mayor Morton Hallstock.

“But, Joe, they simply won’t!” His Honor was wailing. “I did talk to Mr. Fieschi; he says he knows this is an emergency, but there’s a strict company directive against using the spaceport area for storage of anything but cargo that has either just come in or is being shipped out on the next ship.”

“What’s this all about?” Murell asked.

“Fieschi, at the spaceport, won’t let us store this wax in the spaceport area,” Joe said. “We got to get it stored somewhere; we need a lot of floor space to spread this fire out on, once we get into it. We have to knock the burning wax cylinders apart, and get them separated enough so that burning wax won’t run from one to another.”

“Well, why can’t we store it in the spaceport area?” Murell wanted to know. “It is going out on the next ship. I’m consigning it to Exotic Organics, in Buenos Aires.” He turned to Joe. “Are those skins all marked to indicate who owns them?”

“That’s right. And any we gather up loose, from busted skins, we can figure some way of settling how much anybody’s entitled to from them.”

“All right. Get me a car and run me to the spaceport. Call them and tell them I’m on the way. I’ll talk to Fieschi myself.”

“Martha!” Joe yelled to his wife. “Car and driver, quick. And then call the spaceport for me; get Mr. Fieschi or Mr. Mansour on screen.”

Inside two minutes, a car came in and picked Murell up. By that time, Joe was talking to somebody at the spaceport. I called the paper, and told Dad that Murell was buying the wax for his company as fast as it was being pulled off the fire, at eighty centisols a pound. He said that would go out as a special bulletin right away. Then I talked to Morton Hallstock, and this time he wasn’t giving me any of the run-along-sonny routine. I told him, rather hypocritically, what a fine thing he’d done, getting that equipment from Hunters’ Hall. I suspect I sounded as though I were mayor of Port Sandor and Hallstock, just seventeen years old, had done something the grownups thought was real smart for a kid. If so, he didn’t seem to notice. Somebody connected with the press was being nice to him. I asked him where Steve Ravick was.

“Mr. Ravick is at Hunters’ Hall,” he said. “He thought it would be unwise to make a public appearance just now.” Oh, brother, what an understatement! “There seems to be a lot of public feeling against him, due to some misconception that he was responsible for what happened to Captain Kivelson’s ship. Of course, that is absolutely false. Mr. Ravick had absolutely nothing to do with that. He wasn’t anywhere near the Javelin.”

“Where’s Al Devis?” I asked.

“Who? I don’t believe I know him.”

After Hallstock got into his big black air-limousine and took off, Joe Kivelson gave a short laugh.

“I could have told him where Al Devis is,” he said. “No, I couldn’t, either,” he corrected himself. “That’s a religious question, and I don’t discuss religion.”

I shut off my radio in a hurry. “Who got him?” I asked.

Joe named a couple of men from one of the hunter-ships.

“Here’s what happened. There were six men on guard here; they had a jeep with a 7-mm machine gun. About an hour ago, a lorry pulled in, with two men in boat-clothes on it. They said that Pierre Karolyi’s Corinne had just come in with a hold full of wax, and they were bringing it up from the docks, and where should they put it? Well, the men on guard believed that; Pierre’d gone off into the twilight zone after the Helldiver contacted us, and he could have gotten a monster in the meantime.

“Well, they told these fellows that there was more room over on the other side of the stacks, and the lorry went up above the stacks and started across, and when they were about the middle, one of the men in it threw out a thermoconcentrate bomb. The lorry took off, right away. The only thing was that there were two men in the jeep, and one of them was at the machine gun. They’d lifted to follow the lorry over and show them where to put this wax, and as soon as the bomb went off, the man at the gun grabbed it and caught the lorry in his sights and let go. This fellow hadn’t been covering for cutting-up work for years for nothing. He got one burst right in the control cabin, and the lorry slammed into the next column foundation. After they called in an alarm on the fire the bomb had started, a couple of them went to see who’d been in the lorry. The two men in it were both dead, and one of them was Al Devis.”

“Pity,” I said. “I’d been looking forward to putting a recording of his confession on the air. Where is this lorry now?”

Joe pointed toward the burning wax piles. “Almost directly on the other side. We have a couple of men guarding it. The bodies are still in it. We don’t want any tampering with it till it can be properly examined; we want to have the facts straight, in case Hallstock tries to make trouble for the men who did the shooting.”

I didn’t know how he could. Under any kind of Federation law at all, a man killed committing a felony--and bombing and arson ought to qualify for that--is simply bought and paid for; his blood is on nobody’s head but his own. Of course, a small matter like legality was always the least of Mort Hallstock’s worries.

“I’ll go get some shots of it,” I said, and then I snapped on my radio and called the story in.

Dad had already gotten it, from fire-alarm center, but he hadn’t heard that Devis was one of the deceased arsonists. Like me, he was very sorry to hear about it. Devis as Devis was no loss, but alive and talking he’d have helped us pin both the wax fire and the bombing of the Javelin on Steve Ravick. Then I went back and got in the jeep.

They were beginning to get in closer to the middle of the stacks where the fire had been started. There was no chance of getting over the top of it, and on the right there were at least five hundred men and a hundred vehicles, all working like crazy to pull out unburned wax. Big manipulators were coming up and grabbing as many of the half-ton sausages as they could, and lurching away to dump them onto skids or into lorries or just drop them on top of the bags of nutrient stacked beyond. Jeeps and cars would dart in, throw grapnels on the end of lines, and then pull away all the wax they could and return to throw their grapnels again. As fast as they pulled the big skins down, men with hand-lifters like the ones we had used at our camp to handle firewood would pick them up and float them away.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close