Mars Is My Destination - Cover

Mars Is My Destination

Public Domain

Chapter 17

I was lifted up and hurled backwards, so violently that if blind luck hadn’t saved me I’d have fractured my skull or felt, ripping through my chest, the beaten-drum agony that sets in right after you’ve shaken hands with a spinal concussion.

I came down heavily, hitting the pavement with a thud. But in falling I went into a kind of half-spin, and landed on my side in a loose-jointed sprawl that just shook me up a little.

I rolled over on my back and stared up in horror. For an instant I was sure that the whole sky had burst into flame. Then the flare dimmed and vanished and I could see that the dust spirals were still there.

I raised myself on one elbow and stared out across the square. The long line of tractors was still there, too. Not one of the vehicles had been blown sky high. And as if that wasn’t enough of a miracle the snail-paced one had turned about and was heading straight in my direction.

It wasn’t moving at a snail’s pace now. It was coming directly at me from mid-way in the square, rumbling and clattering as it came, its heavy treads so ponderously in motion that the pavement under me was beginning to vibrate.

Nearer it came and nearer, swaying a little, and if the driver had been some crazy killer bent on crushing me to death under the treads he couldn’t have gone about it more expertly, for he was maneuvering the vehicle just enough to make sure that it would pass directly over me.

How could I doubt it? It had veered slightly and swung back into a straight-line course again, and if I’d tried to drag myself out of its path there was room enough for it to veer again before I could hope to save myself.

It takes several seconds to recover from a scare like that, even when the danger evaporates right before your eyes. All at once the tractor was veering again, but far enough to the left to make me feel certain that I wouldn’t be flattened to a pancake if I stayed where I was. But you can feel certain about something like that and go right on remembering what big tractors have done at various times in the past to men unfortunate enough to be caught off guard when there’s a killer in the driver’s seat.

The vehicle came to a jolting, grinding halt a few yards to the left of me, and the driver swung himself out of the glass-shielded front seat, descended lightly to the ground, and was grabbing me by the arm and helping me to rise before I could get a really good look at him.

He’d descended from the tractor lightly because he was that kind of a man--just about the most fragile-looking guy I’d ever seen. He was lean to the point of emaciation, with gaunt cheeks and sparse white hair that was fluffed out like thistledown by the wind that was blowing across the square.

He had deepset brown eyes, very sharp and piercing and they were glowing now with a kind of feverish brightness, as if his agitation matched my own or had reached a peak that was just a trifle higher. There was nothing surprising about that, if he knew exactly what had happened and it was as bad as I feared it might be.

Despite his frailness, he had the features of a strong-willed man, the chin and mouth firm, the nose pinched a little at the nostrils, as if stubbornness in adversity had become an ingrained habit with him. I had the feeling I’d seen that face before, but I couldn’t remember where or under what circumstances.

I was certainly seeing it now under the most nerve-shattering of all circumstances and would not be likely to forget it a second time.

“How are you, all right?” he asked, his eyes searching my face as if he was far from sure I knew myself and the way I looked would tell him more than just a guess on my part. “That explosion was miles from here,” he went on breathlessly, “but it lifted the tractor right off the ground, treads and all, for a second. I had the craziest kind of floating sensation until it settled down and kept right on in this direction. I increased the speed, because I sort of felt that a fast-moving machine would have a better chance of not overturning.”

I stared at him half-dazedly, feeling like a pawn on a chessboard that had tilted just far enough to make me wonder if it might not still be precariously poised and go crashing at any moment. And since I couldn’t see the players I didn’t know what the rules of that particular game were or how far they had been abrogated.

“How do you feel?” he asked.

His solicitude amazed me, because if what he’d just said was true--and I had no reason to doubt it--he should have been more shaken up than I was and he seemed to have something on his mind that was making him stare straight past me toward the Big Grayness.

I was staring in the opposite direction. “I’m all right,” I assured him. “Just feel ... a little dizzy.” I gestured toward the tractors on the far side of the square. “What’s over there? Did the explosion come from there?”

He shook his head. “No. I told you it was miles from here, in the direction of the spaceport. That’s the Endicott Administration Building, fuel conveyor sections and two-thirds of the distributing units. The tractors are all owned by Endicott. I backed this one out from between them and had just about gotten it turned around when the blast hit me.”

“I know,” I said. “I saw you. I wondered why only one tractor--”

That was as far as I got, because what hit me then was more jolting than any blast could have been, and it wasn’t even physical. Just one word he’d let drop with a delayed-action fuse attached to it made me snap my head back and look at him in desperation. He had no way of knowing what was in my mind, but you don’t think of that when you want someone to do you a favor that’s of life-and-death importance to you.

I wanted him to withdraw that one word, to pretend at least that he hadn’t said it. It didn’t have to be true, he could have been just guessing.

The word was “spaceport.” It couldn’t matter that much to him, surely. It wasn’t his wife but mine who was at the spaceport, and if he was wrong about where the explosion had taken place it would cost him nothing to be merciful and admit that he was far from sure about it.

But before I could hope to get such an admission out of him he sounded a knell to the granting of favors by saying: “Wendel technicians are activating Endicott fuel cylinders in different sections of the Colony. They’re trying to turn the Colonists against Endicott by committing mass murder. The cylinders will only destroy an area of a few square miles, because they’re not in the multiple-megaton, nuclear warhead category. We never thought they’d be turned into bombs.”

Then came the knell. “We were warned about this, by a Colonist who’s on his way to the spaceport with one of the cylinders. Or he may be there already. He just spoke to us briefly on the tele-communicator. That explosion came from the direction of the spaceport, but it may not be the one we were warned about. They may be trying to dismantle another cylinder at the spaceport right now. They won’t succeed, because only an Endicott technician would know how to go about it.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close