Mars Is My Destination - Cover

Mars Is My Destination

Public Domain

Chapter 18

We stayed silent until the tractor had rumbled past eight or ten of the breaks in the Big Grayness. They were shrouded in dusk-light now, with no kids playing in the front yards of the housing area pre-fabs. Then, just as we were turning into the clear-away that branched off from the one I’d taken on leaving the hospital, Hillard shouted: “We’ve got to get over to the left! There’s an ambulance right up ahead!”

I heard the siren before I saw it, a banshee-like wail cutting through the twilight, unnerving in its shrillness. It took a moment or two for its winking red headlights to come sweeping toward us and if Hillard had seen them before that it had to mean he had exceptionally sharp eyesight.

It careened past without slowing, almost grazing the hood of the tractor. I thought for an instant, when the banshee wail became shrill again, that it was still coming from the same ambulance. Then I saw four more furiously blinking headlights coming out of the dusk ahead of us, and another ambulance swept past, as swiftly as the first had done, but missing us by a wider margin.

A third followed it at a distance of less than a hundred feet, its siren at such full blast that it no longer sounded like a banshee wail.

You can be gripped by a dread that’s practically breath-stopping and still manage to shout, if your only other choice is to die inwardly.

It may have been more of a groan than a shout. My voice sounded ragged and it almost broke. “Could those ambulances be coming from the spaceport? Do you think--”

He cut me off. I probably couldn’t have gone on anyway.

“They could never have gotten out there and back so fast!” he shouted. “We’ll be passing through a section of the Colony in about two more minutes. It’s closer to the hospital, so it’s just possible they’ve picked up a few victims at the fringe of the blast area who didn’t have our luck.”

“The fallout area must be pretty wide!” I shouted back. “Wherever the explosion took place--”

He cut me off again. “No fallout--or very little. What there is is gone within four or five minutes. Safe to go in after that, for the residue wouldn’t mutate a fruitfly. Colonists don’t know that ... closely guarded Endicott trade secret. Reason we let the Colonists store them. A fuel cylinder can be converted into a nuclear bomb, all right, but it will be the cleanest midget bomb ever built. Take fifteen or twenty of them to blow up even a third of the Colony. But that doesn’t mean that one couldn’t blow up the spaceport, or seriously injure hundreds of people throughout the fringe area. The ground tremor alone could do that. I told you what it did to this tractor. Has the force of a small earthquake, except that the tremors are three times as erratic. They can just shake you up a little, or break every bone in your body. Depends on where you happen to be standing. It follows a zigzagging pattern, so it can pass right by you.”

All that didn’t come in one shout, but I’m recording it that way because I didn’t interrupt him, and though he must have stopped once or twice to take a deep breath, and keep a sharp lookout for another ambulance I wasn’t aware of any break in what he was saying. He was trying his best to make it crystal clear, if only to calm me down a little.

Some of it was reassuring, but not what he’d said about the spaceport. A clean bomb with little or no fallout can leave you just as dead if you’re unfortunate enough to be blown up by it.

You see things sometimes you can’t bring yourself to talk about, even to close friends when the horror has receded a little and you know it can’t come back in a physical way to torment you.

So I’m going to draw the veil over most of what we saw when we passed through about five square miles of the Colony, before the clear-away broadened out to twice its previous width and we headed out across the desert toward the spaceport.

We couldn’t be sure, even then, just where the explosion had taken place, because it was only the fringe area we passed through. It hadn’t been laid waste by the blast and there were only five or six demolished buildings. If the big square which stretched between the Endicott plant and the aerators had been a built-up section instead of a square the property damage might have been just as great and would not have seemed ruinous.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close