Darkness and Dawn Book II: Beyond the Great Oblivion - Cover

Darkness and Dawn Book II: Beyond the Great Oblivion

Public Domain

Chapter 9: Planning the Great Migration

Stern rigged a tripod for the powerful field-glasses he had rescued from the Metropolitan Building, and by an ingenious addition of a wooden tube and another lens carefully ground out of rock crystal, succeeded in producing (on the right-hand barrel of the binoculars) a telescope of reasonably high power. With this, of an evening, he often made long observations, after which he would spend hours figuring all over many sheets of the birch bark, which he then carefully saved and bound up with leather strings for future reference.

In Van’s set of encyclopedias he found a fairly large celestial map and thorough astronomic data. The results of his computations were of vital interest to him.

He said to Beatrice one evening:

“Do you know, that wandering black patch in the sky moves in a regular orbit of its own? It’s a solid body, dark, irregular in outline, and certainly not over five hundred miles above the surface of the earth.”

“What can it be, dear?”

“I don’t know yet. It puzzles me tremendously. Now, if it would only appear in the daytime once in a while, we might be able to get some information or knowledge about it; but, coming only at night, all it records itself as is just a black, moving thing. I’m working on the size of it now, making some careful studies. In a while I shall probably know its area and mass and density. But what it is I cannot say--not yet.”

They both pondered a while, absorbed in wonder. At last the engineer spoke again.

“Beta,” said he, “there’s another curious fact to note. The axis of the earth itself has shifted more than six degrees, thirty minutes!”

“It has? Well--what about it?” And she went on with her platting of reed cordage.

“You don’t seem much concerned about it!”

“I’m not. Not in the least. It can shift all it wants to, for all of me. What hurt does it do? Doesn’t it run just as well that way?”

Stern looked at her a moment, then laughed.

“Oh, yes; it runs all right,” he answered. “Only I thought the announcement that the pole-star had thrown up its job might startle you a bit. But I see it doesn’t. So far as practical results go, it accounts for the warmer climate and the decreased inclination to the plane of the ecliptic; or, rather, the decreased--”

“Please, please, don’t!” she begged. “There’s nothing really wrong, is there?”

“Well, that depends on how you define it. Probably an astronomer might think there was something very much wrong. I make it that the orbit of the earth has altered its relative length and width by--”

“No figures, Allan, there’s a dear. You know I’m awfully bad at arithmetic. Tell me what it means, won’t you?”

“Well, it means, for one thing, that we’ve maybe spent a far longer time on this earth since the cataclysm than we even dare suspect. It may be that what we’ve been calculating as about a thousand years, is twice that, or even five times that--no telling. For another thing, I’m convinced by all these changes, and by the diminution of gravity and by the accelerated rate of revolution of the earth--”

“Allan dear, please hand me those scissors, won’t you?”

Stern laughed again.

“Here!” said he. “I guess I’m not much good as a lecturer. But I tell you one thing I’m going to do, and that’s a one best bet. I’m going to have a try at some really big telescope before a year’s out, and know the truth of this thing!”

“A big telescope! Build one, you mean?”

“Not necessarily. All I need is a chance to make some accurate observations, and I can find out all I need to know. Even though I have been out of college for--let’s see--”

“Fifteen hundred years, at a guess,” she suggested.

“Yes, all of that. Even so, I remember a good bit of astronomy. And I’ve got my mind set on peeking through a first-class tube. If the earth has broken in two, or anything like that, and our part is skyhooting away toward the unknown regions of outer space beyond the great ring of the Milky Way and is getting into an unchartered place in the universe--as it seems to be--why, we ought to have a good look at things. We ought to know what’s what, eh?

“Then there’s the moon I want to investigate, too. No living man except myself has even seen the side that’s now turned toward the earth. No telling what a good glass mightn’t show.”

“That’s so, dear,” she answered. “But where can you find the sort of telescope you need?”

“In Boston--in Cambridge, rather. The Harvard observatory has the biggest one within striking distance. What do you say to our making our trial trip in the boat, up the Sound and around Cape Cod, to Boston? We can spend a week there, then slant away for wherever we may decide to pass the winter. How does that suit you, Beta?”

She put away her work, and for a moment sat looking in at the flames that went leaping up the huge boulder chimney. The room glowed with warmth and light that drove away the cheerlessness of a foggy, late August drizzle.

“Do you really think we’re wise to--to leave our home, with winter coming on?” she asked at length, pensively, the firelight casting its glow across her cheek and glinting in her eyes.

“Wise? Yes. We can’t stay here, that’s certain. And what is there to fear out in the world? With our firearms and our knowledge of fire itself, our science and our human intelligence, we’re far more than a match for all enemies, whether of the beast-world or of that race of the Horde. I hate, in a way, to revisit the ruins of New York, for more ammunition and canned stuffs. The place is to o ghastly, too hideous, now, after the big fight.

“Boston will be a clean ground for us, with infinite resources. And as I said before, there’s the Cambridge observatory. It’s only two or three miles back in the forest, from the coast; maybe not more than half a mile from some part of the Charles River. We can sail up, camp on Soldiers’ Field, and visit it easily. Why not?”

He sat down on the tiger-rug before the fire, near the girl. She drew his head down into her lap; then, when he was lying comfortably, began playing with his thick hair, as he loved so well to have her do.

“If you think it’s all right, Allan,” said she, “we’ll go. I want what you want.”

“That’s my good girl!” exclaimed the engineer. “We’ll be ready to start in a few days now. The boat’s next thing to finished. What with the breadfruit, smoked steer and buffalo meat, hams and canned goods now on our shelves, we’ve certainly got enough supplies to stock her a two months’ trip.

“Even with less, we’d be safe in starting. You see, the world’s lain untouched by mankind for so many centuries that all the blighting effect of man’s folly and greed and general piracy has vanished.

“The soil’s got back to its natural state, animal life abounds, and so long as I still have a good supply of cartridges, we can live almost anywhere. Anthropoids? I don’t think there’s much danger. Oh, yes, I remember the line of blue smoke we saw yesterday over the hills to westward; but what does that prove? Lightning may have started a fire--there’s no telling. And we can’t always stay here, Beta, just because there may be dangers out yonder!”

He flung one arm toward the vast night, beyond the panes where the mist and storm were beating cheerlessly.

“No, we can’t camp down here indefinitely. Now’s the time to start. As I say, we’ve got all of sixty days’ of downright civilized food on hand, for a good cruise in the Adventure. The chance of finding other people somewhere is too precious not to make any risk worth while.”

Silence fell between them for a few minutes. Each saw visions in the flames. The man’s thoughts dwelt, in particular, on this main factor of a possible rediscovery of other human beings somewhere.

More than the girl, he realized the prime importance of this possibility. Though he and she loved each other very dearly, though they were all in all each to the other, yet he comprehended the loneliness she felt rather than analyzed--the infinite need of man for man, of woman for woman--the old social, group-instinct of the race beginning to reassert itself even in their Eden.

Each of them longed, with a longing they hardly realized as yet, to hear some other human voice, to see another face, clasp another hand and again feel the comradeship of man.

During the past week or so, Stern had more than once caught himself listening for some other sound of human life and activity. Once he had found the girl standing on a wooded point among the pines, shading her eyes with her hand and watching down-stream with an attitude of hope which spoke more fluently than words. He had stolen quietly away, saying nothing, careful not to break her mood. For he had understood it; it had been his very own.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close