Toman of the Cherokee
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2017 by Pars001

Slowly ever so slowly I felt consciousness begin to flow into my mind. I suddenly sat up with a start; we were back in the time of the people I had left! Again I struggled as I tried to get off the bed falling to the floor with a thud. I heard a female voice scream as I tried again and again to rise off the floor. Damn it! I had to leave I couldn’t endanger these people!

I had just started to make enchanted motions in the air as several glyphs appeared. Nodding I tried to push more power into them as the glyphs grew brighter. Panting I was crawling as fast as I could toward the opening, just a little more and then they would be safe again! “Toman!” Damn if that didn’t sound like Naci. Good she’d follow me.

Again I pushed as hard as I could, but suddenly feeling a sticky wetness on my leg. Looking down I smiled; I was bleeding again, at least I knew I was alive. I had just reached the portal when I heard several voices approaching my position. Then I felt several powerful spells that were trying to keep me still.

Ok! Now I was pissed as I pushed back harder feeling the stickiness grow thicker. I had to get away as I reached for the portal again. A soft hand caressed my cheek as Naci’s face came into view. “Please husband you will die if you don’t heal more first.”

I was suddenly starting to feel cold as I grasp her hand. “No, we have to leave we can’t endanger all of them.” I told her in a low whispering voice. “Help me so we can leave, please.”

Leaning down Naci looked me in the eyes as she shook her head no. “Have you forgotten that Uncle Merlin is here? I don’t think that they would dare try anything with him here.”

I tried to smile as I felt and saw Naci’s image and voice start to fall further away. “I’m sorry Naci, I’m sorry I failed. Don’t let the hunter’s take you!” With that I felt everything fade into a blissful darkness.

I wasn’t sure if I dreamed or not, I wasn’t sure of anything when I awoke the next time. I was far sorer than I thought I would be. Sitting up slowly I looked around, huh, why was I supposed to be so sore in the first place?

A moment later a beautiful dark haired female walked in through the opening of whatever I was in. “Ah! Good Toman you’re finally awake!”

When I only stared at her, her smile was quickly replaced with a more worried look. A moment later an older woman walked in a worried look on her face. Shaking my head I had the strongest feeling I knew her though as I grasped for it, it slipped away. Then an even older almost ancient looking man stepped into where I was. Damn, it was starting to get crowded.

The three of them bent to converse in whispers a moment then the old man stretched his hand over me. He started to chant in the old mage language then harder suddenly stopping shaking his head. “Son, do you know who you are?”

Finding my voice I stated, “The pretty woman there said my name was Toman, so I guess that’s who I am.” I pointed to the older woman, “You seem so familiar I know you though I can’t conjure your name.” I fell back as I tried harder to bring her name to mind. I felt I had to no matter what. I concentrated as hard as I could.

I heard the pretty young woman gasp as I felt something wet falling from my nose. “You have to stop him! If he presses that hard again it will kill him!”

I saw a look of panic and true concern on her face. I felt deep down I had to do this so I pushed harder. That’s when I felt something inside me almost break! Blinking, I felt memories rushing back into my mind. Gasping for breath I feel back, “You’re Drenna a first class elite mage.” As dizzy as I was I turned toward the older woman. “Mother!” I gasped out. “I’m so sorry I forgot you!”

My mother leaned over me, “It’s alright my son, rest, all is well.” I nodded as I again felt the welcoming darkness swallow me.

Was it days or weeks? I wasn’t sure when I felt myself awaken again. This time I knew where I was laying, then I started to sift through the few memories I had after the council member’s guard had hit me. I had to make sure that didn’t happen again. To my horror I knew that had I not moved to take that blast Naci would be dead. I had strengthened her quite a bit but not where I wanted her. True she could take on a hell of a lot more than before. She still had a bit to go, though I had to admit that shield she’d thrown up had definitely impressed me.

Laying still I could feel the wounds on my body were almost healed though I was still weak. Two female voices were approaching so I powered down as far as I dared. A moment later my mother and Naci walked in. “I wish he’d wake up. I miss him terribly.” I heard Naci tell my mother.

“You miss him? In what way Naci? As I understand it you are both still pure.” My mother said.

“I have grown to rely on him as I hope he has me. For now neither of us has time for anything but the plan. Still I long for him to hold me again.” Naci said with a sigh.

I felt my mother’s scan go over me then I felt her hesitate. “It won’t be long Naci. He had so many injuries it is taking far longer than normal. Besides his left leg, his back, and left arm were also badly injured. Weren’t you on his left when the both of you entered the portal?”

“Yes I was; I was trying to help pull Toman to the portal when they attacked. Why do you ask?” Naci asked.

“Just gathering information my dear.” My mother replied.

[“I’m very proud of you Toman, not many would have done what you did for someone they hardly knew. Rest you have council with Tall Bear, Merlin and your grandfather.”] My mother’s thoughts said.

[“Here I thought I had masked all, I never thought you would detect me.”] I answered.

[“I am your mother, as if I couldn’t tell you were awake.”] I felt my mother’s almost smirking thoughts.

Naci suddenly sat up cocking her head to the side as if listening. I quickly pulled further back as I felt Naci start to scan the inside of the teepee. Shaking her head she sat beside the bed as my mother rose shaking her head.

I groaned as I felt a mental nudge from my mother. I opened my eyes as I saw that Naci was staring at me. “Thank the great creator!” Throwing her arms around me I felt her hug me tight, her body pressed to mine as I reached up holding her to my chest. “Please Toman, don’t do that again!” Then she was flooding the front of my shirt with tears.

Holding her close I let her cry it out as I saw my mother nod her approval then walk out. “How long?” I said in a squeaky, low, raspy voice.

“Almost ten days,” came Pops voice from the opening. “It took all Merlin, Tall Bear and I had to close that damn portal. As for your worry we are well hidden. After I created a bubble to hide the village Merlin and Tall Bear expanded it to cover many miles. Believe me we are very well hidden.”

“Ten days!” I said as I bolted upright almost falling out of the bed. Then I tried to get up as Naci tried to hold me down. “We have to get going!” Trying to struggle with no strength was fruitless as Naci climbed on top of my pinning me to the bed with her weight. Feeling her there caused my face to blush as even in my weak condition my body responded to hers.

“No Toman! You need to regain your strength before you try to move!” Sighing I nodded my head as I consigned myself to at least another day in bed.

“Rest some more son, we will help you to plan better before the two of you go off again.” Pops said nodding to me then moving off out the opening.

I made a face again as Naci was once again feeding me. “Naci, I’m not a baby I can feed myself you know!”

Naci eyed me suspiciously, “I’m not so sure Toman. After you almost exhausted everything you had trying to leave, ALL of us have been watching you closely.” Oh great! Just what I needed a bunch of adult baby sitters!

Sitting up finally finished, Naci walked with me to Tall Bear’s home. “Come in Toman.” I heard the man say. “We have been waiting for you. Though we wished to start sooner none wished to risk the wrath of your warrior wife.”

Naci’s face took on a deadly serious face, “None would have felt it had they not tried to keep me from him!” Naci’s voice snapped as her eyes seemed to grow red a moment. “I will not be kept from my duty of helping him!”

All three of the men looked at me when we entered. “You are most fortunate young Toman.” Merlin told me. “To have such fierce loyalty from a life partner is a rare thing indeed!” Then Merlin looked away a tear falling from his eye. Yeah I thought, I would go after Morgana one day, I owed this man more than my life, and I intended to repay him.

Merlin’s head snapped up as he stared at me almost as if he’d heard what I had just thought. Sitting I waited for them to start whatever they were going to do.

“We wish to help you to plan your assault and possible extermination of the bad element of the present council.” Tall Bear said as he looked at his daughter sitting next to me. The look on her face was one of fierce loyalty, plus something else. It appeared that she would in no way leave; woe to any that asked or suggested she go. I doubt anyone could force her either.

I nodded to Tall Bear; god knows I wasn’t doing that well on my own. Then I remembered Pops telling me that at one time Merlin had actually helped to plan a few assaults. Scratching my head I also seemed to remember Pops doing something along those lines when I was younger.

“As it is, your last portion of justice you dished out now has the council taking things far more seriously. From all I have seen they have more than doubled their guard. I have also heard that they have also pulled all hunters off their jobs. They have all been assigned to try and find you. With the exception of the council leader’s son or many of them together you are far stronger than anything that they can do to you.” Merlin explained to me.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close