Master of Life and Death - Cover

Master of Life and Death

Public Domain

Chapter 18

Walton left the Assembly meeting about 1215, pleading urgent Popeek business. The voting began at 1300, and half an hour later the result was officially released.

The 1400 Citizen was the first to carry the report.

WALTON ELECTED POPEEK HEAD

_The General Assembly of the United Nations gave Roy Walton a

healthy vote of confidence today. By a 95-0 vote, three abstaining,

he was picked to succeed the late D. F. FitzMaugham as Popeek czar.

He has held the post on a temporary basis for the past eight days._

Walton rang up Percy. “Who wrote that Citizen piece on me?” he asked.

“I did, chief. Why?”

“Nicely done, but not enough sock. Get all those three-syllable words out of it by the next edition. Get back to the old Citizen style of jazzy writing.”

“We thought we’d brush it up a little now that you’re in,” Percy said.

“No. That’s dangerous. Keep to the old style, but revamp the content. We’re rolling along, now. What’s new from the pollsters?”

“Fifty percent swing to Popeek. You’re the most popular man in the country, as of noon. Churches are offering up prayers for you. There’s a move afoot to make you President of the United States in place of old Lanson.”

“Let Lanson keep his job,” Walton chuckled. “I’m not looking for any figurehead jobs. I’m too young. When’s the next Citizen due?”

“At 1500. We’re keeping up hourly editions until the crisis is over.”

Walton thought for a moment. “I think 1500’s too early. The Dirnan arrives in Nairobi at 1530 our time. I want a big splash in the 1600 edition--but not a word before then!”

“I’m with you,” Percy said, and signed off.

A moment later the annunciator said, “There’s a closed-circuit call for you from Batavia, sir.”

“From where?”

“Batavia. Java.”

“Let’s have it,” Walton said.

A fleshy face filled the screen, the face of a man who had lived a soft life in a moist climate. A rumbling voice said, “You are Walton.”

“I am Walton.”

“I am Gaetano di Cassio. Pleased of making the acquaintance, Signor Director Walton. I own rubber plantation in the area here.”

Walton’s mind immediately clocked off the top name on the list of landed proprietors Lassen had prepared for him:

di Cassio, Gaetano. 57. Holdings estimated at better than a billion and a quarter. Born Genoa 2175, settled in Amsterdam 2199. Purchased large Java holding 2211.

“What can I do for you, Mr. di Cassio?”

The rubber magnate looked ill; his fleshy face was beaded with globules of sweat. “Your brother,” he grunted heavily. “Your brother worked for me. I sent him to see you yesterday. He has not come back.”

“Indeed?” Walton shrugged. “There’s a famous phrase I could use at this point. I won’t.”

“Make no flippancies,” di Cassio said heavily. “Where is he?”

Walton said, “In jail. Attempted coercion of a public official.” He realized di Cassio was twice as nervous and tense as he was.

“You have jailed him,” di Cassio repeated flatly. “Ah, I see. Jail.” The audio pickup brought in the sound of stertorous breathing. “Will you not free him?” di Cassio asked.

“I will not.”

“Did he not tell you what would happen if he would not be granted his request?”

“He told me,” Walton said. “Well?”

The fat man looked sick. Walton saw that the bluff was going to be unsuccessful; that the conspirators would not dare put Lamarre’s drug into open production. It had been a weapon without weight, and Walton had not let himself be cowed by it.

“Well?” Walton repeated inflexibly.

“You trouble me sorely,” said di Cassio. “You give my heart pain, Mr. Walton. Steps will have to be taken.”

“The Lamarre immortality serum--”

The face on the screen turned a leaden gray. “The serum,” di Cassio said, “is not entered into this talking.”

“Oh, no? My brother Fred made a few remarks--”

“Serum non esiste!”

Walton smiled calmly. “A nonexistent serum,” he said, “has, unfortunately, nonexistent leverage against me. You don’t scare me, di Cassio. I’ve outbluffed you. Go take a walk around your plantation. While you still have it, that is.”

“Steps will be taken,” di Cassio said. But his malevolence was hollow. Walton laughed and broke contact.

He drew Lassen’s list from his desk and inscribed a brief memo to Olaf Eglin on it. These were the hundred biggest estates in the world. Within a week, there would be equalized Japanese living on all of them.

He called Martinez of security. “I’ve ordered my brother Fred remanded to your care,” he said.

“I know.” The security man sounded peeved. “We can’t hold a man indefinitely, not even on your say-so, Director Walton.”

“The charge is conspiracy,” Walton said. “Conspiracy against the successful operation of Popeek. I’ll have a list of the ringleaders on your desk in half an hour. I want them rounded up, given a thorough psyching, and jailed.”

“There are times,” Martinez said slowly, “when I suspect you exceed your powers, Director Walton. But send me the list and I’ll have the arrests made.”


The afternoon crawled. Walton proceeded with routine work on half a dozen fronts, held screened conferences with each of his section chiefs, read reports augmenting what he already knew of the Venus disaster, and gobbled a few benzolurethrin tranquilizers.

He called Keeler and learned that no sign of Lamarre had come to light yet. From Percy he discovered that Citizen had added two hundred thousand subscribers overnight. The 1500 edition had a lengthy editorial praising Walton, and some letters that Percy swore were genuine, doing the same.

At 1515 Olaf Eglin called to announce that the big estates were in the process of being dismembered. “You’ll be able to hear the howls from here to Batavia when we get going,” Eglin warned.

“We have to be tough,” Walton told him firmly.

At 1517 he devoted a few minutes to a scientific paper that proposed terraforming Pluto by establishing synthetic hydrogen-fusion suns on the icy planet. Walton skimmed through the specifications, which involved passing a current of several million amperes through a tube containing a mixture of tritium and deuterium. The general idea, he gathered, was to create electromagnetic forces of near-solar intensity; a pulsed-reaction engine would supply a hundred megawatts of power continuously at 10,000,000 degrees centigrade.

Has possibilities, Walton noted, and forwarded the plan on to Eglin. It sounded plausible enough, but Walton was personally skeptical of undertaking any more terraforming experiments after the Venus fiasco. There were, after all, limits to the public relations miracles Lee Percy could create.

At 1535 the annunciator chimed again. “Call from Nairobi, Africa, Mr. Walton.”

“Okay.”

McLeod appeared on the screen.

“We’re here,” he said. “Arrived safely half a microsecond ago, and all’s well.”

“How about the alien?”

“We have him in a specially constructed cabin. Breathes hydrogen and ammonia, you know. He’s very anxious to see you. When can you come?”

Walton thought for a moment. “I guess there’s no way of transporting him here, is there?”

“I wouldn’t advise it. The Dirnans are very sensitive about traveling in such a low gravitational field. Makes their stomachs queasy, you know. Do you think you could come out here?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close