Stand by for Mars!
Chapter 11

Public Domain

“Atom City Express now arriving on track two!” The voice boomed over the loud-speaker system; and as the long, gleaming line of monorail cars eased to a stop with a soft hissing of brakes, the three cadets of the Polaris unit moved eagerly in that direction.

“Atom City, here we come,” cried Astro.

“We and a lot of others with the same idea,” said Tom. And, in fact, there were only a few civilians in the crowd pressing toward the car doors. Uniforms predominated--the blue of the cadets, enlisted men in scarlet, even a few in the black and gold uniforms which identified the officers of the Solar Guard.

“Personally,” whispered Tom to his friends, “the first thing I want to do at Atom City is take a long walk--somewhere where I won’t see a single uniform.”

“As for me,” drawled Roger, “I’m going to find a stereo studio where they’re showing a Liddy Tamal feature. I’ll sit down in a front-row seat and just watch that girl act for about six hours.”

He turned to Astro. “And how about you?”

“Why ... why ... I’ll string along with you, Roger,” said the cadet from Venus. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a--a--”

Tom and Roger laughed.

“A what?” teased Tom.

“A--a--girl,” sputtered Astro, blushing.

“I don’t believe it,” said Roger in mock surprise. “I never--”

“Come on,” interrupted Tom. “Time to get aboard.”

They hurried across the platform and entered the sleek car. Inside they found seats together and sank into the luxurious chairs.

Astro sighed gently, stretched out his long legs and closed his eyes blissfully for a few moments.

“Don’t wake me till we get started,” he said.

“We already have,” returned Tom. “Take a look.”

Astro’s eyes popped open. He glanced through the clear crystal glass at the rapidly moving landscape.

“These express jobs move on supercushioned ball bearings,” explained Tom. “You can’t even feel it when you pull out of the station.”

“Blast my jets!” marveled Astro. “I’d sure like to take a look at the power unit on this baby.”

“Even on a vacation, all this guy can think about is power!” grumbled Roger.

“How about building up our own power,” suggested Tom. “It’s a long haul to Atom City. Let’s get a bite to eat.”

“O.K. with me, spaceboy!” Astro grinned. “I could swallow a whole steer!”

“That’s a great idea, cadet,” said a voice from behind them.

It came from a gray-haired man, neatly dressed in the black one-piece stylon suit currently in fashion, and with a wide red sash around his waist.

“Beg pardon, sir,” said Tom, “were you speaking to us?”

“I certainly was,” replied the stranger. “I’m asking you to be my guests at dinner. And while I may not be able to buy your friend a whole steer, I’ll gladly get him a piece of one.”

“Hey,” said Astro, “do you think he means it?”

“He seems to,” replied Tom. He turned to the stranger. “Thanks very much, sir, but don’t think Astro was just kidding about his appetite.”

“I’m sure he wasn’t.” The gray-haired man smiled, and came over and stretched out his hand. “Then it’s a deal,” he said. “My name’s Joe Bernard.”

“Bernard!” exclaimed Roger. He paled and glanced quickly at his two friends, but they were too busy looking over their new friend to notice.

“Glad to know you, sir,” said Tom. “I’m Tom Corbett. This is Astro, from Venus. And over here is--”

“Roger’s my name,” the third cadet said quickly. “Won’t you sit down, sir?”

“No use wasting time,” said Bernard. “Let’s go right into the dining car.” The cadets were in no mood to argue with him. They picked up the small microphones beside their chairs and sent food orders to the kitchen; and by the time they were seated in the dining car, their orders were ready on the table.

Mr. Bernard, with a twinkle in his eye, watched them enjoy their food. In particular, he watched Astro.

“I warned you, sir,” whispered Tom, as the Venusian went to work on his second steak.

“I wouldn’t have missed this for anything,” said Bernard. He smiled, lit a cigar of fine Mercurian leaf tobacco and settled back comfortably.

“And now,” he said, “let me explain why I was so anxious to have dinner with you. I’m in the import-export business. Ship to Mars, mostly. But all my life I’ve wanted to be a spaceman.”

“Well, what was the trouble, Mr. Bernard?” asked Roger.

The man in black sighed. “Couldn’t take the acceleration, boys. Bad heart. I send out more than five hundred cargoes a year, to all parts of the solar system; but myself, I’ve never been more than a mile off the surface of the earth.”

“It sure must be disappointing--to want to blast off, and know that you can’t,” said Tom.

“I tried, once,” said Bernard, with a rueful smile. “Yup! I tried.” He gazed thoughtfully out the window.

“When I was your age, about twenty, I wanted to get into Space Academy worse than anybody I’d ever met.” He paused. “Except for one person. A boyhood buddy of mine--named Kenneth--”

“Excuse me, sir,” cut in Roger quickly, “but I think we’d better get back to our car. With this big liberty in front of us, we need a lot of rest.”

“But, Roger!” exclaimed Tom.

Bernard smiled. “I understand, Roger. Sometimes I forget that I’m an old man. And when you’ve already tasted the excitement of space travel, talk like mine must seem rather dull.” He stood up and faced the three cadets. “It’s been very pleasant, Corbett, Astro, Roger. Now run along and get your rest. I’ll just sit here for a while and watch the scenery.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Tom, “for the dinner--your company--and everything,” he finished lamely.

There was a chorus of good-byes and the boys returned to their car. But there was little conversation now. Gradually, the lights in the cars dimmed to permit sleep. But Tom kept listening to the subdued click of the monorail--and kept wondering. Finally Roger, sleeping next to him, wakened for a moment.

“Roger,” said Tom, “I want to ask you something.”

“Wait’ll the mornin’,” mumbled Roger. “Wanta sleep.”

“The way you acted with Bernard,” Tom persisted. “You ate his dinner and then acted like he was poison. Why was that, Roger?”

The other sat bolt upright. “Listen,” he said. “Listen!” Then he slumped back in his chair and closed his eyes. “Lemme sleep, Corbett. Lemme sleep, I tell you.” He turned his back and in a moment was making sounds of deep slumber, but Tom felt sure that Roger was not asleep--that he was wide awake, with something seriously bothering him.

Tom leaned back and gazed out over the passing plains and up into the deep black of space. The Moon was full, large and round. He could distinguish Mare Imbrium, the largest of Luna’s flat plains visible from Earth, where men had built the great metropolis of Luna City. Farther out in the deep blackness, he could see Mars, glowing like a pale ruby. Before long he would be up there again. Before long he would be blasting off in the Polaris with Astro and with Roger--

Roger! Why had he acted so strangely at dinner?

Tom remembered the night he saw Roger in Galaxy Hall alone at night, and the sudden flash on the field a few days before when they had won the mercuryball game. Was there some reason behind his companion’s strange actions? In vain, Tom racked his brain to find the answer. There had to be some explanation. Yet what could it possibly be? He tossed and turned and worried and finally--comfortable as the monorail car was--he fell asleep from sheer exhaustion.


Atom City! Built of the clear crystal mined so cheaply on Titan, moon of Saturn, Atom City had risen from a barren North American wasteland to become a show place of the universe. Here was the center of all space communications--a proud city of giant crystal buildings. Here had been developed the first slidewalks, air cars, three-dimensional stereos and hundreds of other ideas for better living.

And here at Atom City was the seat of the great Solar Alliance, housed in a structure which covered a quarter of a mile at its base and which towered three thousand noble feet into the sky.

The three cadets stepped out of the monorail and walked across the platform to a waiting air car--jet-powered, shaped like a teardrop and with a clear crystal top.

“We want the best hotel in town,” said Astro grandly to the driver.

“And get this speed bug outa here in a hurry,” Roger told him. “There’s a lot we want to do.”

The driver couldn’t help smiling at the three cadets so obviously enjoying their first leave.

“We’ve got three top hotels,” he said. “One’s as good as the other. They’re the Earth, the Mars and the Venus.”

“The Earth,” voted Tom.

“The Mars,” shouted Roger.

“The Venus!” roared Astro.

“All right,” said the driver with a laugh, “make up your minds.”

“Which of ‘em is nearest the center of the city?” Tom asked.

“The Mars.”

“Then blast off for Mars!” ordered Tom, and the air car shot away from the station and moved up into the stream of expressway traffic fifty feet above the ground.

As the little car sped along the broad avenue, Tom remembered how often, as a boy, he’d envied the Space Cadets who’d come to his home town of New Chicago on leave. Now here he was--in uniform, with a three-day pass, and all of Atom City to enjoy it in.

A few minutes later the air car stopped in front of the Mars Hotel. The cadets saw the entrance loom before them--a huge opening, with ornate glass and crystal in many different colors.

They walked across the high-ceilinged lobby toward the desk. All around them, the columns that supported the ceiling were made of the clearest crystal. Their feet sank into soft, lustrous deep-pile rugs made of Venusian jungle grass.

The boys advanced toward the huge circular reception desk where a pretty girl with red hair waited to greet them.

“May I help you?” she asked. She flashed a dazzling smile.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close