Stand by for Mars! - Cover

Stand by for Mars!

Public Domain

Chapter 16

Under the tremendous drive of the stern rockets, the silver ship suddenly hurtled forward as if shot out of a cannon. The dangerous tube slid out of the stern of the ship and was quickly left behind as the Lady Venus sped in the opposite direction.

“That’s it,” yelled Tom, “hold full space speed! We dumped the tube, but we’re still close enough for it to blow us from here to Pluto!”

“I tracked it on the radar, Tom,” yelled Roger. “I think we’re far enough away to miss--”

At that moment a tremendous flash of light filled the radar scanner as the mass exploded miles to the rear of the Lady Venus.

“There it goes!” shouted Roger.

“Great jumping Jupiter,” yelled Tom, “and we’re still in one piece! We did it!”

From the power deck, Astro’s bull-like roar could be heard through the whole ship.

“Gimme an open circuit, Tom,” said Astro. “I want to operate the air blowers down here and try to get rid of some of that radiation. I have to get into the control chamber and see what’s going on.”

Tom flipped a switch on the board and set the ship on automatic flight. Then, turning to the teleceiver, he switched the set on.

Lady Venus to Polaris--” said Tom, “come in, Polaris--come in!”

“ ... Strong here on the Polaris!” the officer’s voice crackled over the speaker. “By the rings of Saturn, I should log you three space-brained idiots for everything in the book!” Strong’s face gradually focused on the teleceiver screen and he stared at Tom coldly. “That was the most foolish bit of heroics I’ve ever seen and if I had my way I’d--I’ll--well--” The captain’s glare melted into a smile. “I’ll spend the rest of my life being known as the skipper of the three heroes! Well done, Corbett, it was foolish and dangerous, but well done!”

Tom, his face changing visibly with each change in Strong’s attitude, finally broke out into a grin.

“Thank you, sir,” said Tom, “but Astro and Roger did as much as I did.”

“I’m sure they did,” replied Strong. “Tell them I think it was one of the--the--” he thought a moment and then added, “darndest, most foolish things--most--”

“Yes, sir,” said Tom, trying hard to control his face. He knew the moment for disciplining had passed, and that Captain Strong was just overwhelmed with concern for their safety.

“Stand by the air locks, Corbett, we’re coming aboard again. We’re pretty cramped for space here on the Polaris.”

Just then Astro yelled up from the power deck.

“Hey, Tom!” he called. “If Captain Strong is thinking about putting those passengers back aboard, I think you’d better tell him about the radiation. I haven’t been able to flush it all out yet. And since we only have three lead-lined suits...” He left the statement unfinished.

“I get you, Astro,” replied Tom. He turned back to the teleceiver and faced Strong. “Astro says the ship is still hot from radiation, sir. And that he hasn’t been able to flush it out with the blowers.”

“Ummmmh,” mused Strong thoughtfully. “Well, in that case, stand by, Corbett. I’ll get in touch with Commander Walters right away.”

“Very well, sir,” replied Tom. He turned from the teleceiver and climbed up to the radar deck.

“Well, hot-shot,” said Roger, “looks like you’ve made yourself a hero this trip.”

“What do you mean by that, Roger?”

“First, you run off with top honors on the space maneuvers, and now you save the ship and have Strong eating out of your hand!”

“That’s not very funny, Roger,” said Tom.

“I think it is,” drawled Roger.

Tom studied the blond cadet for a moment.

“What’s eating you, Roger? Since the day you came into the Academy, you’ve acted like you hated every minute of it. And yet, on the other hand, I’ve seen you act like it was the most important thing in your life. Why?”

“I told you once, Corbett,” said Roger with the sneering air which Tom knew he used when he was on the defensive, “that I had my own special reasons for being here. I’m not a hero, Corbett! Never was and never will be. You’re strictly the hero type. Tried and true, a thousand just like you all through the Academy and the Solar Guard. Strong is a hero type!”

“Then what about Al James?” asked Tom. “What about that time in Atom City when you defended the Academy?”

“Uh-uh,” grunted Roger, “I wasn’t defending the Academy. I was just avoiding a fight.” He paused and eyed Tom between half-closed lids. “You’ll never do anything I can’t, or won’t do, just as well, Tom. The difference between us is simple. I’m in the Academy for a reason, a special reason. You’re here, like most of the other cadets, because you believe in it. That’s the difference between you, me and Astro. You believe in it. I don’t--I don’t believe in anything but Roger Manning!”

Tom faced him squarely. “I’m not going to buy that, Roger! I don’t think that’s true. And the reasons I don’t believe it are many. You have a chip on your shoulder, yes. But I don’t think you’re selfish or that you only believe in Manning. If you did, you wouldn’t be here on the Lady Venus. You had your chance to escape back in the rocket tube, but you came back, Roger, and you made a liar out of yourself!”

“Hey, you guys!” yelled Astro, coming up behind them. “I thought we left that stuff back at the Academy?”

Tom turned to face the power-deck cadet. “What’s cooking below, Astro? Were you able to get rid of the radiation?”

“Naw!” replied the cadet from Venus. “Too hot! Couldn’t even open the hatch. It’ll take a special job with the big equipment at the space shipyards. We need their big blowers and antiradiation flushers to clean this baby up.”

“Then I’d better tell Captain Strong right away. He’s going to get in touch with Commander Walters at the Academy for orders.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” said Astro. “There isn’t a chance of getting those people back aboard here now. Once we opened up that outer control deck to dump that tube, the whole joint started buzzing with radioactive electrons.”

Tom turned to the ladder leading to the control deck and disappeared through the hatch, leaving Astro and Roger alone.

“What was that little bit of space gas about, Roger?”

“Ah--nothing,” replied Roger. “Just a little argument on who was the biggest hero.” Roger smiled and waved a hand in a friendly gesture. “Tom won, two to one!”

“He sure handled that control deck like he had been born here, all right,” said Astro. “Well, I’ve got to take a look at those motors. We’ll be doing something soon, and whatever it is, we’ll need those power boxes to get us where we want to go.”

“Yeah,” said Roger, “and I’ve got to get a course and a position.” He turned to the chart screen and began plotting rapidly. Down on the control deck, Strong was listening to Tom.

“ ... and Astro said we’d need the special equipment at the space shipyards to clean out the radiation, sir. If we took passengers aboard and it suddenly shot up--well, we only have the three lead-lined suits to protect us.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close