Stand by for Mars! - Cover

Stand by for Mars!

Public Domain

Chapter 18

“You think it’ll last much longer?” asked Astro.

“I don’t know, old fellow,” replied Tom.

“You know, sometimes you can hear the wind even through the skin of the ship,” commented Roger.

For two days the cadets of the Polaris unit had been held prisoner in the power deck while the violence of the New Sahara sandstorm raged around them outside the ship. For a thousand square miles the desert was a black cloud of churning sand, sweeping across the surface of Mars like a giant shroud.

After many attempts to repair a small generator, Astro finally succeeded, only to discover that he had no means of running the unit. His plan was to relieve the rapidly weakening emergency batteries with a more steady source of power.

While Astro occupied himself repairing the generator, Tom and Roger had slept, but after the first day, when sleep would no longer come, they resorted to playing checkers with washers and nuts on a board scratched on the deck.

“Think it’s going to let up soon?” asked Roger.

“They’ve been known to last for a week or more,” said Astro.

“Wonder if Strong has discovered we’re missing?” mused Roger.

“Sure he has,” replied Tom. “He’s a real spaceman. Can smell out trouble like a telemetered alarm system.”

Astro got up and stretched. “I’ll bet we’re out of this five hours after the sand settles down.”

The big Venusian walked to the side of the power deck and pressed his ear against the hull, listening for the sound of the wind.

After a few seconds he turned back. “I can’t hear a thing, fellas. I have a feeling it’s about played itself out.”

“Of course,” reasoned Tom, “we have no real way of knowing when it’s stopped and when it hasn’t.”

“Want to open the hatch and take a look?” asked Astro.

Tom looked questioningly at Roger, who nodded his head in agreement.

Tom walked over to the hatch and began undogging the heavy door. As the last of the heavy metal bars were raised, sand began to trickle inside around the edges. Astro bent down and sifted a handful through his fingers. “It’s so fine, it’s like powder,” he said as it fell to the deck in a fine cloud.

“Come on,” said Tom, “give me a hand with this hatch. It’s probably jammed up against sand on the other side.”

Tom, Roger and Astro braced their shoulders against the door, but when they tried to push, they lost their footing and slipped down. Astro dragged over a section of lead baffle, jammed it between the rocket motors and placed his feet up against it. Tom and Roger got on either side of him and pressed their shoulders against the door.

“All right,” said Tom. “When I give the word, let’s all push together. Ready?”

“All set,” said Astro.

“Let’s go,” said Roger.

“O.K.--then--one--two--three--push!”

Together, the three cadets strained against the heavy steel hatch. The muscles in Astro’s legs bulged into knots as he applied his great weight and strength against the door. Roger, his face twisted into a grimace from the effort, finally slumped to the floor, gasping for breath.

“Roger,” asked Tom quickly, “are you all right?”

Roger nodded his head but stayed where he was, breathing deeply. Finally recovering his strength, he rose and stood up against the hatch with his two unit-mates.

“You and Roger just give a steady pressure, Tom,” said Astro. “Don’t try to push it all at once. Slow and steady does it! That way you get more out of your effort.”

“O.K.,” said Tom. Roger nodded. Again they braced themselves against the hatch.

“One--two--three--push!” counted Tom.

Slowly, applying the pressure evenly, they heaved against the steel hatch. Tom’s head swam dizzily, as the blood raced through his veins.

“Keep going,” gasped Astro. “I think it’s giving a little!”

Tom and Roger pushed with the last ounce of strength in their bodies, and after a final desperate effort, slumped to the floor breathless. Astro continued to push, but a moment later, relaxed and slipped down beside Tom and Roger.

They sat on the deck for nearly five minutes gasping for air.

“Like--” began Roger, “like father--like son!” He blurted the words out bitterly.

“Like who?” asked Astro.

“Like my father,” said Roger in a hard voice. He got up and walked unsteadily over to the oxygen bottle and kicked it. “Empty!” he said with a harsh laugh. “Empty and we only have one more bottle. Empty as my head the day I got into this space-happy outfit!”

“You going to start that again!” growled Astro. “I thought you had grown out of your childish bellyaching about the Academy.” Astro eyed the blond cadet with a cold eye. “And now, just because you’re in a tough spot, you start whining again!”

“Knock it off, Astro,” snapped Tom. “Come on. Let’s give this hatch another try. I think it gave a little on that last push.”

“Never-say-die Corbett!” snarled Roger. “Let’s give it the old try for dear old Space Academy!”

Tom whirled around and stood face to face with Manning.

“I think maybe Astro’s right, Roger,” he said coldly. “I think you’re a foul ball, a space-gassing hot-shot that can’t take it when the chips are down!”

“That’s right,” said Roger coldly. “I’m just what you say! Go ahead, push against that hatch until your insides drop out and see if you can open it!” He paused and looked directly at Tom. “If that sand has penetrated inside the ship far enough and heavily enough to jam that hatch, you can imagine what is on top, outside! A mountain of sand! And we’re buried under it with about eight hours of oxygen left!”

Tom and Astro were silent, thinking about the truth in Roger’s words. Roger walked slowly across the deck and stood in front of them defiantly.

“You were counting on the ship being spotted by Captain Strong or part of a supposed searching party! Ha! What makes you think three cadets are so important that the Solar Guard will take time out to look for us? And if they do come looking for us, the only thing left up there now”--he pointed his finger over his head--”is a pile of sand like any other sand dune on this crummy planet. We’re stuck, Corbett, so lay off that last chance, do-or-die routine. I’ve been eating glory all my life. If I do have to splash in now, I want it to be on my own terms. And that’s to just sit here and wait for it to come. And if they pin the Medal--the Solar Medal--on me, I’m going to be up there where all good spacemen go, having the last laugh, when they put my name alongside my father’s!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close