The Sky Is Falling
Chapter 3

Public Domain

There was no delirium when he awoke in the morning. Instead, there was only a feeling of buoyant health. In fact, Dave Hanson had never felt that good in his life--or his former life. He reconsidered his belief that there was no delirium, wondering if the feeling were not itself a form of hallucination. But it was too genuine. He knew without question that he was well.

It shouldn’t have been true. During the night, he’d partially awakened in agony to find Nema chanting and gesturing desperately beside him, and he’d been sure he was on the verge of his second death. He could remember one moment, just before midnight, when she had stopped and seemed to give up hope. Then she’d braced herself and begun some ritual as if she were afraid to try it. Beyond that, he had no memory of pain.

Nema came into the room now, touching his shoulder gently. She smiled and nodded at him. “Good morning, Sagittarian. Get out of bed.”

Expecting the worst, he swung his feet over the side and sat up. After so much time in bed, even a well man should be rendered weak and shaky. But there was no dizziness, no sign of weakness. He had made a most remarkable recovery, and Nema didn’t even seem surprised. He tentatively touched foot to floor and half stood, propping himself against the high bed.

“Come on,” Nema said impatiently. “You’re all right now. We entered your sign during the night.” She turned her back on him and took something from a chest beside the bed. “Ser Perth will be here in a moment. He’ll want to find you on your feet and dressed.”

Hanson was beginning to feel annoyance at the suddenly cocksure and unsympathetic girl, but he stood fully erect and flexed his muscles. There wasn’t even a trace of bedsoreness, though he had been flat on his back long enough to grow callouses. And as he examined himself, he could find no scars or signs of injuries from the impact of the bulldozer--if there had ever really been a bulldozer.

He grimaced at his own doubts. “Where am I, anyhow, Nema?”

The girl dumped an armload of clothing on his bed and looked at him with controlled exasperation. “Dave Hanson,” she told him, “don’t you know any other words? That’s the millionth time you’ve asked me that, at least. And for the hundredth time, I’ll tell you that you’re here. Look around you; see for yourself. I’m tired of playing nursemaid to you.” She picked up a shirt of heavy-duty khaki from the pile on the bed and handed it to him. “Get into this,” she ordered. “Dress first, talk later.”

She stalked out of the room.

Dave did as she had ordered, busy with his own thoughts as he discovered what he was to wear. He was still wearing something with a vague resemblance to a short hospital gown, with green pentacles and some plant symbol woven into it, and with a clasp to hold it together shaped into a silver crux ansata. He took it off and hurled it into a corner disgustedly.

He picked up the khaki shirt and put it on; then, with growing curiosity, the rest of the garments, until he came to the shoes. Khaki shirt, khaki breeches, a wide, webbed belt, a flat-brimmed hat. And the shoes--they weren’t shoes, but knee-length leather boots, like a dressy version of lumberman’s boots or a rougher version of riding boots. He hadn’t seen even pictures of such things since the few silent movies run in some of the little art theaters. He struggled to get them on. They were an excellent fit, and comfortable enough, but he felt as if his legs were encased in hardened concrete when he was through. He looked down at himself in disgust. He was in all respects costumed as the epitome of the Hollywood dream of a heroic engineer-builder, ready to drive a canal through an isthmus or throw a dam across a raging river--the kind who’d build the dam while the river raged, instead of waiting until it was quiet, a few days later. He was about as far from the appearance of the actual blue-denim, leather-jacket engineers he had worked with as Maori in ancient battle array.

He shook his head and went looking for the bathroom, where there might be a mirror. He found a door, but it led into a closet, filled with alembics and other equipment. There was a mirror hung on the back of it, however, with a big sign over it that said “Keep Out.” He threw the door wide and stared at himself. At first, in spite of the costume, he was pleased. Then the truth began to hit him, and he felt abruptly sure he was still raging with fever and delirium.

He was still staring when Nema came back into the room. She pursed her lips and shut the door quickly. But he’d already seen enough.

“Never mind where I am,” he said. “Tell me, who am I?”

She stared at him. “You’re Dave Hanson.”

“The hell I am,” he told her. “Oh, that’s what I remember my father having me christened as. He hated long names. But take a good look at me. I’ve been shaving my face for years now, and I should know it. That face in the mirror wasn’t it! There’s a resemblance. But a darned faint one. Change the chin, lengthen my nose, make the eyes brown instead of blue, and it might be me. But Dave Hanson’s at least five inches shorter and fifty pounds lighter, too. Maybe the face is plastic surgery after the accident--but this isn’t even my body.”

The girl’s expression softened. “I’m sorry, Dave Hanson,” she said gently. “We should have thought to warn you. You were a difficult conjuration--and even the easier ones often go wrong these days. We did our best, though it may be that the auspices were too strong on the soma. I’m sorry if you don’t like the way you look. But there’s nothing we can do about it now.”

Hanson opened the door again, in spite of Nema’s quick frown, and looked at himself. “Well,” he admitted, “I guess it could be worse. In fact, I guess it was worse--once I get used to looking like this, I think I’ll get to like it. But seeing it was a heck of a thing to take for a sick man.”

Nema said sharply, “Are you sick?”

“Well--I guess not.”

“Then why say you are? You shouldn’t be; I told you we’ve entered the House of Sagittarius now. You can’t be sick in your own sign. Don’t you understand even that much elementary science?”

Hanson didn’t get a chance to answer. Ser Perth was suddenly in the doorway, dressed in a different type of robe. This was short and somehow conservative--it had a sincere, executive look about it. The man seemed changed in other ways, too. But Dave wasn’t concerned about that. He was growing tired of the way people suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Maybe they all wore rubber-soled shoes or practiced sneaking about; it was a silly way for grown people to act.

“Come with me, Dave Hanson,” Ser Perth ordered, without wasting words. He spoke in a clipped manner now.

Dave followed, grumbling in his mind. It was even sillier than their sneaking about for them to expect him to start running around before they bothered to check the condition of a man fresh out of his death bed. In any of the hospitals he had known, there would have been hours or days of X-rays and blood tests and temperature taking before he would be released. These people simply decided a man was well and ordered him out.

To do them justice, however, he had to admit that they seemed to be right. He had never felt better. The twaddle about Sagittarius would have to be cleared up sometime, but meanwhile he was in pretty good shape. Sagittarius, as he remembered it, was supposed to be one of the signs of the Zodiac. Bertha had been something of a sucker for astrology and had found he was born under that sign before she agreed to their little good-by party. He snorted to himself. It had done her a heck of a lot of good, which was to be expected of such nonsense.

They passed down a dim corridor and Ser Perth turned in at a door. Inside there was a single-chair barber shop, with a barber who might also have come from some movie-casting office. He had the proper wavy black hair and rat-tailed comb stuck into a slightly dirty off-white jacket. He also had the half-obsequious, half-insulting manner Dave had found most people expected from their barbers. While he shaved and trimmed Dave, he made insultingly solicitous comments about Dave’s skin needing a massage, suggested a tonic for thinning hair and practically insisted on a singe. Ser Perth watched with a mixture of intentness and amusement. The barber trimmed the tufts from over Dave’s ears and clipped the hair in his nose, while a tray was pushed up and a slatternly blonde began giving him a manicure.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close